Recommendations for Shocks and Springs

More
26 May 2011 12:47 #4943 by royth
Hello All,

I am looking at putting on new shocks and springs on my 1984 S and was wondering what the group thinks is a good combination and where you can get the components at a good price :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2011 12:56 #4944 by srshaw3
First step is to identify what you seek, such as:
1. A ride like new
2. A ride that will allow more "sporty" driving with some loss of ride comfort.
3. A ride that provides much better driving with a much less ride comfort
4. A ride specific to autocross, canyon driving or track performance, etc.
5. What is your budget, or don't you have one :)

Just my thoughts....

More
26 May 2011 14:00 #4947 by WyattsRide
Stan,
What category is a Bilstien/Eibach setup? That's what I have. I'm happy with these but I don't have a comparison.

More
26 May 2011 14:38 #4948 by 928mac
Quote from another thread;
FYI, the Bilstein/Eibach setup from 928INTL is essentially a new OEM "Sport" suspension, with a slight (sometimes not noticable) increase in spring rates. The shocks are OEM 928 "Sport".

More
26 May 2011 16:05 #4950 by srshaw3
I wasn't sure, but seems like Brad did some research :)

More
26 May 2011 16:55 #4954 by the flying scotsman
I have Bilstiens/Eibachs on my car......harsh over slow speed bumps but handle very well at high speeds. so much so you start to notice the good or bad tyres you have :)

comparison is to OEM springs and shocks.

More
26 May 2011 20:03 #4956 by pcar928fan
My '92 GTS has the sport suspension and all the others have the standard set up and I think the sport set up should be the standard as it is VERY NICE! It is a great compromise between comfort and sport. In fact just got out of that car a few minutes ago...SO SWEET!!!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
31 May 2011 16:16 #4992 by xstepson
I've got Konis and stock springs on my '89 and the Stepson, and Konis and Eibachs on the GTS. I like Konis. I've got the Konis adjusted a little harsher on the stock springed cars and a little lighter on the GTS. They ride great!

And.......if I don't like the ride, I can change it pretty easily!

More
06 Jun 2011 15:10 #5049 by royth
Thanks Guys for all the feedback as I appreciate it ... if I go with the Bilstien/Eibach setup where is the best place to find them at a reasonable cost ?

When you have done the springs and shocks did you do anything to the sway bars as well.

I am looking for a sporty drive for the some what aggressive weekend tours :D but not so harsh that it makes a nice ride painful.

More
06 Jun 2011 21:53 #5060 by 928mac
I would check with Roger and see if there are any left. Last I heard, world stock was out of Bilstien

More
08 Jun 2011 14:11 #5071 by pcar928fan
I think stock springs/shocks with 18" wheels is a great combo honestly. If you want it a bit more harsh then maybe up the spring rate just a touch. Rear sway bar steroid links (if you can find them) set up a bit stiffer than stock will allow the car to turn in better and be VERY NICE... Front sway bar (again if you can find it) will just break your sway bar mounts! They always do unless you SERIOUSLY reinforce them and that means welding! UGH... Let me rephrase that... If you drive the car hard enough to NEED a beefier front sway bar then you WILL break the mounting points. If you don't drive the car hard enough to break the mount points with a bigger bar then you probably don't need the bigger bar and are just compensating for some anatomical part that is undersized! LOL! For the record I have broken my mounting points more than once!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!