off to SITM!

More
03 Jun 2011 07:10 #5010 by mm928
off to SITM! was created by mm928
Good Morning fine Porsche people,

I am off to SITM, 6.5 hrs away - wish me luck - the 1st long trip with the Shark. But I gotta go! Have a good one

Mike

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2011 08:53 #5011 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic off to SITM!
You will find that the car will get you there and back if its like mine, I was totally blown away what a great car they are.
I truly believe if a guy sorts out the electrical and gets the main mechanical in order that it is as reliable as any newer car or maybe even more reliable.

I hope you have a safe great trip. I wish I could go.

Brad

More
03 Jun 2011 09:41 #5012 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic off to SITM!
Enjoy. I wish I was going. Next year I hope.

More
03 Jun 2011 10:57 #5013 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic off to SITM!
Be safe and enjoy! Tell DR and Jeannie "hi" for me! Miss them dearly!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• bridgehampton racer
More
03 Jun 2011 14:03 #5015 by bridgehampton racer
Replied by bridgehampton racer on topic off to SITM!
have a safe ride:) i will be working on my 928 1982 elec problems---- :eek:

More
03 Jun 2011 14:08 #5016 by 928mac

have a safe ride:) i will be working on my 928 1982 elec problems---- :eek:

OMG you made it. Your first post, Right on.
You just need to go to your User CP and put your car in your signerature and stick a picture in your avatar :cool:

More
03 Jun 2011 20:43 #5017 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic off to SITM!
Best hwy car I've driven. Have a great trip.

More
03 Jun 2011 20:57 #5018 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic off to SITM!
On holiday for 3 weeks starting tomorow.We wil be going to Quebec city, the Gaspe and the atlantic provinces. I was going to take the 928 but could notpack al the stuff needed for an extended trip. Taking the trailblazer and towing a trailer. Back in a month.

More
03 Jun 2011 23:30 #5019 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic off to SITM!
Hey guys - I made it!

Not without incident but a lot of fun! Car apparently will not start after a long haul like maybe over 20-30 minutes in hot weather. Exhibits the same symptoms as my posted Odd starting problem thread. Turn off car, won't turn on.

Leave it alone for up to 1- 1/2 hours or so and varoommmm No problems, turn it off and it will start right back up.

I think there is some kind of sensor somewhere being affected by temp or is going bad or both. All electrical flows and power to the starter etc. checked out.

Luckily I conked out at a gas station with a very nice mechanic who fixed a nagging little issue, and while he was researching things I guess it cooled down enough to start. Got to the SITM hotel and it wouldnt start again, waited 1hr 45 min, started right up.

So I am going to Beech mountain tomorrow with everyone since that is only a few miles away and see how it goes. Hopefully I will get to speak with someone about it, like Dave Roberts before I leave. Otherwise I will be filling up at the gas station with the Shark running!!

Everyone is having fun, still out in the parking lot at 12:40 as I type. Met a lot of really nice people so far,,,,having a great time.

see-ya

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
04 Jun 2011 00:18 #5020 by 928mac
Sorry about the no start problem Mike. But I am glad you are having a good time.

Brad

More
04 Jun 2011 05:15 #5022 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic off to SITM!
Interesting, has the starter draw been checked, as well as the battery?
Should be plenty of expertise at SITM to help you troubleshoot this :)

More
04 Jun 2011 13:42 #5027 by pcar928fan
YEA! Glad you are having fun, sorry the car is being cantankerous. These old ladies can get that way. Just like my old lady! LOL! Have you replaced the ignition switch...strange things happen when they start to go out and while I have not heard of the one you are talking about, it is pretty easy and cheap insurance... That said, it sounds more like a relay going bad... it would be more expensive but easier (and also good insurance) to just go in and replace every damn relay! My window switch relay on EURO85 demonstrated that same problem... replaced it and all is now GREAT!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
06 Jun 2011 10:41 #5046 by mm928
Yes James - I am thinking about that as well. One of my friends I met coming up from Fla had a bad fuel pump relay that almost kept him and his 2 boys from going home! But he found it and it was running well Sunday when they were leaving.

Here is some anecdotal info after my first post above. After it cooled when I got there, about 1 1/2 hours later, It always started the whole weekend, and I took a couple of 1 hour trips in 87 degree weather. It also started after I got home after about 5 straight hours after my gas fill up going home. Once I got home, turned it off, started right back up.

However, I do think heat has something to do with it. I have no A/C yet, and it was high 80's at least all the way home, pretty uncomfortable at times. (low 80s seems ok). But as I approached home, it was 5:30-6:30 and it was cooler air and a nice drive that last hour 1/2. Somehow I think that made the difference. When I went down it was hot and stop and go traffic before I turned it off....So yeah it may be time for a few relay swaps...will let you know how it goes. Does kind of sound like a flakey electrical part doesn't it?
As a side note - when it stopped in Galax Va (home of mountain music in Va) The gas station mechanic worked in it for 1 hour and a 1/2,,,,final bill - 20 bucks for putting a new connector on the end of the oil sending wire. It pays to be nice and friendly! Also - BTW - I got 20+ MPG on the way down (using Exxon and Gulf). On the way back I used Shell, let's see how that pans out. It is a little more downhill on the way back.

* Shell Gas results - 21.7 MPG....not science, just sayin' :)

BUT overall it ran like a TOP! I had a great time. A couple of people had a few issues and only one that I remember was DOA, tranny went out and he had towed there. Met great people and got some good ideas, and a few deals from Dave and 2 hugs from Jeannie....can't complain!

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
06 Jun 2011 17:13 #5057 by pcar928fan
I miss Jeannie! Interesting that everyone is talking about her, but no one seems to be posting any pics of her! That does not seem fair at all! The hottest 928 chick I know and not a pic one! That is just WRONG!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
07 Jun 2011 11:29 #5062 by mm928
Yes - I agree....will do next time!

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!