• srshaw3
  • srshaw3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jun 2011 08:20 #5159 by srshaw3
Good Morning 928ers! was created by srshaw3
Good Morning 928ers!

Keeping my fingers crossed, the shop thinks they found the cause of why my '90 GT goes into 4 cylinder mode. I am hopeful :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2011 15:19 #5162 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic Good Morning 928ers!
Good afternoon Stan, hope they figured it out and it is cheap.

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jun 2011 15:56 #5163 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Good Morning 928ers!
Cheap is relative when talking about a 928....
The Ignition Monitoring Relay was disabling 4 cylinders.
The problem was not persistent.
I would drive for days without an issue, and then have the issue constantly.
I performed many tests without a conclusion for the past couple of years.
Since the car is a '90 I decided to replace parts, ignition units and coils (dist caps & rotors & spark plugs too).
The problem persisted.
At one time I thought it was happen with the opposite cylinder bank.
With the bypass relay in place, it would happen less often, but still happen, so it was happening even when it couldn't sense an exhaust temperature difference.

Since the A/C need work (even though the entire system was replace 2 years ago...) I had the shop review the 4 cylinder issue at the same time.

After getting some good information from Rich Andrade about how the system works, they were able to detect two wires with improper results. They repaired the wires and the problem has not reappeared.

Overall it won't be cheap, it never is....

Oh yeah, they found an under intake manifold hose had split, meaning the intake manifold will likely have to be removed and replaced. This will be the third time in the 4 years I have owned the car.... First time I had it done it was for a complete refresh, replacing every part, but for some reason not one hose (other service issues, so it doesn't go to that shop again). Second time was when the used hose burst. Third time is one of the replaced hoses has a split seam. This shop will review when an alternative is possible saying that perhaps the hose that was used has been around a long time, as they are not dated.

Good think I love these cars, but I do :D

More
16 Jun 2011 16:40 #5164 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Good Morning 928ers!
Wow, that is crap luck Stan. Hope it gets done right this time.

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Jun 2011 08:59 #5166 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Good Morning 928ers!

Wow, that is crap luck Stan. Hope it gets done right this time.

It does seem like I have crap luck sometimes. I had a PPI done, and then spent almost as much as I paid for the car getting issues resolved and doing preventative maintenance (like a complete under intake refresh, timing belt, etc.).

Honestly though, I will happily take this "luck" when I consider how fortunate I am overall. So many things that could go wrong "do not", and I am extremely fortunate to have the good perspective to realize that it is so. Just two weeks ago a EF3 tornado passed by @1 mile away, destroying people's homes, and mine was untouched.

I may notice the little bad things, merely inconveniences, but they are barely worth mentioning in the overall scheme of life. :D

More
17 Jun 2011 09:47 #5167 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic Good Morning 928ers!
Once it is sorted out, it will be worth it.

More
17 Jun 2011 09:47 #5168 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Good Morning 928ers!
hey Stan;
I have done the same thing as far as spending what I paid for the car, on the car. Just about half of it though was stuff like different rims, stereo, and steering wheel.

Ya there are a lot of natural disasstores the last few years and it seems to be escalading. We should count our blessings. we still could get burned out if the fire up here turns on us, its over 500sq kilometers in size.

Worked on the car a bit yesturday but did not make any headway and still have no spark. I am confident that I will figure it out but don't have much more time as we leave for Toronto for a week on the 22nd.

Y'all have a Great 928 day

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!