New member needs help!

• denhamfly
  • denhamfly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
27 Jun 2011 15:14 #5267 by denhamfly
New member needs help! was created by denhamfly
I have just joined the club, and hope to learn how to work on my car. I have a 1985 928s I live in Baton Rouge and have had nothing but bad luck with repair shops the Porsche dealership is included in that statement. There is a guy in New Orleans that is good but he is an hour away and is busy most of the time. I just paid $900.00 dollars to give a guy in my area a shot a the timing belt, it work fine for 5 days and then the tensioner light came an and the car started running badly. I am a pretty good mechanic except with this car, I would like to watch and help someone change a timing belt. I would be willing to work out some kind of deal for this education. Paid weekend In New Orleans or something. I would travel to do this or pay for someone else’s travel to come do mine. I have owned this car for 10 years and probably wasted $6000.00 dollars in faulty repairs.

I like working on my own stuff, instead of paying some one and than bringing my car and fixing what they worked on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2011 15:56 #5268 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic New member needs help!
I might be a little geographical challenged. Are any of the regional contacts near you: www.928oc.org/regional_information.htm ?

Dwayne provides great documentation, you could look at this one forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=587
We can probably help you through any questions or issues from afar, so long as the car can be worked at in leisure.

More
27 Jun 2011 16:31 #5269 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic New member needs help!
Hello Oscar, good to have you here.

I don't think you are different then anyone else here as far as spending lots of money on their cars go.

I know a few have had bad experiences with repairs but not all were due to poor workmanship.

I did my belt and the light came on, I adjusted it and it can on, I adjusted it and it came on again. My point is that these cars are finicky and it is not always the related work but an unrelated cause.

Like Stan said, we have some good links for you to read, so do that and then make sure your car info is in your signature line or that you put it up with pictures when you ask a question.

We can all help walk you through your repairs

So ..... Lets have a picture of your car.

More
27 Jun 2011 18:46 #5272 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic New member needs help!
Oscar,

There are some VERY GOOD write ups on doing a T-belt change. If that belt gets messed up on your car though man, you will be in a VERY, VERY BAD WAY! The motor will be toast and it will cost a minimum of $10k to put it back right with the same engine (most would just try and find a used one to put in). Getting the T-belt right the FIRST TIME is VERY important on 32V cars.

These cars work like all other cars... SUCK-BOOM-BLOW! Get something out of time and thing start crashing in to one another and that is where the problems lie. These cars are not easy to work on because of space and the fact that if 2 screws or bolts would work Porsche chose to use TEN instead.

Look in the technical help part of the forum and find the T-belt change info and knock yourself out!

Good luck and keep us posted!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
27 Jun 2011 21:08 #5274 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic New member needs help!

Oscar,

There are some VERY GOOD write ups on doing a T-belt change. If that belt gets messed up on your car though man, you will be in a VERY, VERY BAD WAY! The motor will be toast and it will cost a minimum of $10k to put it back right with the same engine (most would just try and find a used one to put in). Getting the T-belt right the FIRST TIME is VERY important on 32V cars.

These cars work like all other cars... SUCK-BOOM-BLOW! Get something out of time and thing start crashing in to one another and that is where the problems lie. These cars are not easy to work on because of space and the fact that if 2 screws or bolts would work Porsche chose to use TEN instead.

Look in the technical help part of the forum and find the T-belt change info and knock yourself out!

Good luck and keep us posted!

OMG James . . ROTFLMAO

More
27 Jun 2011 23:01 #5277 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic New member needs help!
Brad, I KNEW you would like that!!!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• denhamfly
  • denhamfly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jun 2011 07:25 #5281 by denhamfly
Replied by denhamfly on topic New member needs help!
I will look a the t-belt info the club has and start taken her apart. I will take pictures if I get stuck and also get some help and validation when needed. I do know how critical this is to get right I guess that is what scares me. Thanks for the info.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!