Good Morning 928 Peeps July 5th

More
05 Jul 2011 09:57 #5419 by 928mac
Good Morning everyone.
I hope all the 928s are up and running fine, or at least as expected.

I drove mine into work today and it was a nice drive.

I did a test run last night and found that the knock sensors were hearing a lot of noise in the high rpm range.

Lots more tuning required, but other then that I am really pleased. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2011 19:57 #5422 by pcar928fan
YEA!!! Keep up the good work! Make it FLY!

EURO85 is doing well...drove it some today. Got it inspected and had a guy look at the exhaust to see about putting a REAL muffler (like a Flowmaster) where the little empty "box" is right now to try and quiet the thing down a bit, but no cigar...

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
05 Jul 2011 23:07 #5424 by 928mac
Hey James, a Hush Thrush is a nice throaty but not to loud of a muffler. See if one of your buds has one on a stang so you can hear it.

More
06 Jul 2011 00:48 #5425 by pcar928fan
Here is the problem... inlet and outlet right across from each other (as in a line just straight through) and a length not to exceed 13" and width not more than 8" I think he said, thickness not more than 4"...

Got anything like that???

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
06 Jul 2011 09:54 #5435 by 928mac

More
06 Jul 2011 11:34 #5443 by pcar928fan
Looks like the dual in dual out Thrush Turbo muffler would work. Says it flows all directions all connections. So it would not matter if we blanked off two of the holes! Well done Brad! Thanks mucho!

Just looked again...WAY to long... I think I am limited to like 13" and that one is 20"... Damn it! It is the only one that has outlets on the same side of the box. Everything else is side in center out or center in side out...

Brad, do you have access to Thrush stuff and can you weld?! ;) Seriously! I am looking at Part # 17660... If either end was cut off and flipped over then the inlet and outlet would be on the same side. The way it looks the ends of these things can be cut off and rewelded. Not that it would be easy...just saying it could be done and in this case it would then be a direct weld in to my car!

What do you think??? I am basing that on looking at the cutaway pic of the muffler...it shows it as a chambered design so should not be a problem cutting the end off and flipping it over...

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
06 Jul 2011 16:14 #5449 by pcar928fan
Brad,

Just ordered a Magnaflow and it will be at the installers tomorrow (supposedly) and the plan is to have it installed on Friday! Total cost including install is $160! NICE!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
06 Jul 2011 16:29 #5450 by 928mac
Thats a great price. someone on RL uses one IIRC.
I think they were happy with the tone and said the decible level was quiet untill you hit the loud peddle. The way it should be.

The PO must have changed mine. Small rez and muffler and it is a bit loud.
The cops can hear me from to far away :)

More
06 Jul 2011 17:35 #5452 by pcar928fan
Yea, I hope this makes it much more quiet and knocks the edge off the note. It is just to...ummmm...I don't know how to describe it, but it is not a pretty sound. If it at least makes it more sonorous but same db level that would be fine with me, but I would prefer that it also make it a bit quieter. The car is louder than my race car! The racer has a Flowmaster 40 on it btw!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
07 Jul 2011 18:42 #5463 by pcar928fan
So Brad, that didn't work... I looked at it (they didn't have an open view of what the inside of the muffler looked like online or I would have never bought it) and it is straight through... CLEARLY not going to be very helpful at all...

So, back to the drawing board...

How much is that Thrush "Turbo" that is about 9" X 13"? Can you do some surgery on one for me bad Brad??? :)

Might be easier to just located a tip that I like that has some muffling properties...

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
07 Jul 2011 20:14 #5465 by 928mac

So Brad, that didn't work... I looked at it (they didn't have an open view of what the inside of the muffler looked like online or I would have never bought it) and it is straight through... CLEARLY not going to be very helpful at all...

So, back to the drawing board...

How much is that Thrush "Turbo" that is about 9" X 13"? Can you do some surgery on one for me bad Brad??? :)

Might be easier to just located a tip that I like that has some muffling properties...

James I would gladly do it for you but I do not have a welder at the house.

Have you looked at some of the custom stuff out there or do you want something totally original. What about Dr or Brad, or Greg who live closer to you, would they do something like that? I am not turning you down but for me to buy, modify and re-chrome a muffler, would it be worth the price? I would not charge you anything, but I would have to pay off one of the techs at work to sneak it through :) did that with my Intake pipe that I had turned down :D

ILL look to see if I can find something already to go for you.
Give me a day.

More
07 Jul 2011 20:16 #5466 by 928mac
What are the specs again,
length not to exceed 13" and width not more than 8" and thickness not more than 4"
and is it 2.5/ 2.75 or 3 inch opening frt and back

More
07 Jul 2011 20:51 #5467 by 928mac
Do you like this ? :D

www.mufflermall.com/index.php?main_page=...=155&products_id=728

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Or this

www.mufflermall.com/index.php?main_page=...=131&products_id=494

$83.78
UNIVERSAL ROUND MUFFLER With 4.5" Slant Tip

HYPER STYLE

Universal Performance Muffler w/Silencer - Premium Class

ID: 2.5"
BODY LENGTH: 14"
TIP LENGTH: 7"
OUTLET: 4.5"
OVERALL: 24" L X 6" W

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
08 Jul 2011 01:37 #5471 by pcar928fan
Brad,

Just half messing with you... That thrush bit would go way under the car...no need for any clean up after the weld other than some high temp paint maybe.

I can find something local and we have a BUNCH of muffler places that can make this happen. Hell, I don't even know what the cost of the thrush is.

The one that look sort of easy (and I think would fit, but might not...and might not even be quieter than what is on the car currently!) is the 17660 and you would just cut one end off and flip it over and reweld it. Thus both the inlet and outlet would be on the same side of the body of the can...

Anyway, it will probably be easier to find a tip that I like and just have that welded on... I'll keep my eyes peeled. This falls in the "no big deal" department for sure!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!