OC interest in restored 928 OB auction/raffle fundraiser?

• xjadz928
  • xjadz928's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
14 Jul 2011 12:38 #5554 by xjadz928
I don't post here often, but frequent other 928 forums.
For those who don't know me, my name is Jim Doerr.
I'm a 928 ethusiast, and have owned 928's for over 10 years.
928 OC member for 2 years.
I own the earliest 928 known to exist, a '77 press car called "Number Six". It's currently in the early stages of restoration.
The following idea (or proposal) has no direct relation with "Number Six", for the record.

I would like to propose the idea that the 928 OC, and it's members get involved with the restoration of an early 928, to be raffled or auctioned off, amongst its members or by its members.

Interest in early 928 restorations is on the rise within our niche community, but this increase is nowhere near as fast as how quickly these early 928's are being taken out of commission.
Whether it be age, sun, poor storage, needs too much work, negligent owner, etc., these early cars are losing ground.

For those who know me and my recent early car research and restoration exploits, I've become quite fond of the OB.
I find the story of its inception and fruition to be most fascinating, and have taken it upon myself to increase exposure of this fantastic place in Porsche history.

My personal goal out of this project is to increase public awareness of these early 928's.
My hope, if the 928 OC gets involved, is to increase OC noteriety and membership through this project.

So this is where I start spit-balling ideas....

I suggest we create a tribute car from the 1977 Geneva Auto Salon, the first place the 928 was seen by the general public.

This was it. Striking!
[IMG]http://www.sparkengineering.com/stuff/geneva 928_1aa.JPG[/img]

I think we should choose a pre-1000 VIN Euro/ROW 5 speed, as it's the closest spec. to the show car.
Most importantly, these early Euros are RARE in the US!
US '78 928s weren't produced until around 1200 Euros were made.
This fact will make it one of the earliest in the US, altogether.

The car needs only a partial restoration, with focus on mechanical safety, and paint and interior which matches the original Geneva show car.

We form a restoration committee of volunteers to forward the project.
Logistics, sponsors, contributions, project planning, etc.

Ask 928 community vendors for help, to donate parts, services, advice, etc.
Utilize our generous internal resources.

Car may be auctioned or raffled. Must buy a ticket? Must be a member to buy a ticket?

Along with the car, will come a commemorative plaque with the project, 928 OC header, list of sponsors and contributors.

This type of project will make national news. May be picked up by a Porsche mag (Panorama, Excellence, Hemmings).
Lots of potential exposure!

So what do you all think?
I need help with working out the idea. Following that, a formal proposal will be put together, and numbers will be crunched.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2011 14:28 #5555 by spun
Its a lofty goal, one that may cost many $K to pull off, but would be fun.

Are you thinking this is a yearly type activity or one every X years....

I would be game helping and buying tickets. We would need to set some serious ground rules run by the "lead" that would take this on. Which by default for the first one sounds like you...

Anyhow, I'm game and I like the idea. They do this for Old Pre 68 VW Buses in AZ right now.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
14 Jul 2011 14:31 #5557 by 928mac
Thank you for stopping by Jim and I hope that you will stop by more often.

I have seen your post and thread of #6 and I will post a link for those that are interested.

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...ng-for-interior.html

I think that you are right that It will help with "Lots of potential exposure"

I would like to here more.

Do to my location I could only offer any spare parts that I have to help with the sorting of the OB.
I don't know how much of my 89 would fit but if I have it and it needs it then I would even pay the shipping.

Thank you for posting on the owners club forum

Brad

• xjadz928
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
14 Jul 2011 14:49 #5560 by xjadz928

Its a lofty goal, one that may cost many $K to pull off, but would be fun.

Are you thinking this is a yearly type activity or one every X years....

I would be game helping and buying tickets. We would need to set some serious ground rules run by the "lead" that would take this on. Which by default for the first one sounds like you...

Anyhow, I'm game and I like the idea. They do this for Old Pre 68 VW Buses in AZ right now.

I appreciate your optimism. And yes, you are right... would require some cash, or a serious donation of parts, skills, or both.

I would be willing to chair or co-chair the committee. Basically be the "project manager", if you will.
However, I couldn't afford to handle the serious legwork. The planning of the restoration of my #6 takes up a chunk of my time, daily (believe it or not).

Some of the work I'm doing (restoration research) may parallel to the effort on this project, of which I will donate.

At this point, lets call this a one-time deal. Lets see how it goes. :)

Thank you for stopping by Jim and I hope that you will stop by more often.

I have seen your post and thread of #6 and I will post a link for those that are interested.

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...ng-for-interior.html

I think that you are right that It will help with "Lots of potential exposure"

I would like to here more.

Do to my location I could only offer any spare parts that I have to help with the sorting of the OB.
I don't know how much of my 89 would fit but if I have it and it needs it then I would even pay the shipping.

Thank you for posting on the owners club forum

Brad

Brad,
Thanks for the welcome, and post to my #6 thread.

Do not let your location sway your decision to contribute.
Alot can be done thru this forum, and via telecommute.
Much of this project would be organization, and the procurement of parts, contributions, sponsors, or help.

More
14 Jul 2011 15:47 #5564 by 87 Shark
A fun idea. Would need to figure out how this would work to get as many involved as possible.

More
14 Jul 2011 15:56 #5566 by denhamfly
I would help you sell tickets and once you get the action item list out see what else I could do!

More
14 Jul 2011 21:42 #5574 by srshaw3
Once a plan is established so it is something we can promote, I would certainly be willing to ask the board if we could promote it via a mass mailing to the members.

More
14 Jul 2011 21:57 #5575 by Sweet928
I think that's a cool idea. I saw PCA just restored an early 911 to absolute perfection and did a raffle. Every ticket was sold quickly. I wonder if they would let you tie in to them and cross promote to the 928OC? Probably not but the key is a broader audience. Between the restoration company promoting themselves, PCA promoting itself and maybe combining to a charity ontop of it all -- you could get it done and get the 928OC's name out there too. Just my 2 cents.

More
14 Jul 2011 21:58 #5576 by spun

I appreciate your optimism. And yes, you are right... would require some cash, or a serious donation of parts, skills, or both.

I would be willing to chair or co-chair the committee. Basically be the "project manager", if you will.
However, I couldn't afford to handle the serious legwork. The planning of the restoration of my #6 takes up a chunk of my time, daily (believe it or not).

Some of the work I'm doing (restoration research) may parallel to the effort on this project, of which I will donate.

At this point, lets call this a one-time deal. Lets see how it goes. :)

I agree on both counts (daily task on yours and your work will help make this happen).

First question is where would the build location be? 2nd is ... do you have a car potentially identified?

I, having more time than I use to, would be very interested in hands on work, but I am located in Tucson AZ. Location of the car will be crucial for support.

• xjadz928
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
15 Jul 2011 08:47 #5592 by xjadz928

I think that's a cool idea. I saw PCA just restored an early 911 to absolute perfection and did a raffle. Every ticket was sold quickly. ....

Yea, that's where part of the idea came from.
PCA shelled out some SERIOUS coin to have Porsche Classic do the restoration.

...I wonder if they would let you tie in to them and cross promote to the 928OC? Probably not but the key is a broader audience. Between the restoration company promoting themselves, PCA promoting itself and maybe combining to a charity ontop of it all -- you could get it done and get the 928OC's name out there too. Just my 2 cents.

I read ya. I think that's a fantastic idea!
We may also consider the professionals who provide a majority service on the restoration as sponsors. For instance, if Bob Budd at Classic 9 Leather gets on board with a gracious offer to supply interior, he would be a "top billed" sponsor. Same with whomoever might donate painting the car.
I'm sure the PCA could fit it on that level of contribution as well.

So it might lay out something like this:

928 Owner's Club - Masthead, promoter, car owner(?), auction/raffled via.

Sponsors - Major contributors (read thousands of dollars in parts or services)

Contributors - People who donate over $500 (pulling a # out there)

Partners - People who donate time to the planning and execution of the restoration project (the project restoration commitee, et al)

...First question is where would the build location be? ...

My guess is the build location will float to where the right person(s) are to do the work.
At least broken down into three stages: mechanical, paint, interior.

... 2nd is ... do you have a car potentially identified?

Yes. More than one. 2. ;)

Keep the questions coming! This is all good dialogue.

More
15 Jul 2011 14:41 #5593 by pcar928fan
I LOVE this idea... Realistically I don't think this can happen... That said, I would love to see Jim run with this to see what can be made of it. AOPA (Airplane Owners and Pilots Association) does this every year with an airplane. They then raffle it off and GIVE IT to a member! VERY COOL! In the past they would take old aircraft and restore them...mostly to levels MUCH HIGHER than how they were shipped originally. Lately they have been doing newer aircraft... Not sure why.

In our case here with a 928 we would need vendors, technicians and artisans to fully DONATE (as those working with AOPA do) their goods and services to make this happen. I just don't think there is a reasonable level of payoff for most if ANY of them to step up and do that. Now if we had individual members who wanted to do some paint work (and COULD do it) and then had other members who could install a donated interior and/or do a full mechanical update (not overhaul, just make sure everything is working as it should, but not taking anything apart that is not broken) then I think this would be awesome.

Then sell tickets for $100 each or something like that and see what happens... Keep in mind this club has only about 300 active paid up members (maybe 400...) so if the club was going to actually pull money out of the budget to subsidize any part of this project it would take a large percentage of the membership buying tickets for the club to make its money back...

I am not saying this can't or won't work, I am just saying this would take a monumental effort. I'd LOVE to see it and then I'd love to buy 5 or 10 tickets and win me a newly restored 928!!! ;)

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• xjadz928
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
15 Jul 2011 15:05 #5600 by xjadz928

I LOVE this idea... Realistically I don't think this can happen... That said, I would love to see Jim run with this to see what can be made of it. AOPA (Airplane Owners and Pilots Association) does this every year with an airplane. They then raffle it off and GIVE IT to a member! VERY COOL! In the past they would take old aircraft and restore them...mostly to levels MUCH HIGHER than how they were shipped originally. Lately they have been doing newer aircraft... Not sure why.

In our case here with a 928 we would need vendors, technicians and artisans to fully DONATE (as those working with AOPA do) their goods and services to make this happen. I just don't think there is a reasonable level of payoff for most if ANY of them to step up and do that. Now if we had individual members who wanted to do some paint work (and COULD do it) and then had other members who could install a donated interior and/or do a full mechanical update (not overhaul, just make sure everything is working as it should, but not taking anything apart that is not broken) then I think this would be awesome.

Then sell tickets for $100 each or something like that and see what happens... Keep in mind this club has only about 300 active paid up members (maybe 400...) so if the club was going to actually pull money out of the budget to subsidize any part of this project it would take a large percentage of the membership buying tickets for the club to make its money back...

I am not saying this can't or won't work, I am just saying this would take a monumental effort. I'd LOVE to see it and then I'd love to buy 5 or 10 tickets and win me a newly restored 928!!! ;)

Your attitude is fair. An effort like this would require serious commitment from many people. I'd guess 15-30 members.
I think the level of payoff for vendors is directly proportionate to the possible level of exposure. What is in it for them?

I'd guess the yearly 928 OC budget wouldn't be able to help much with the restoration expenses.
I'd say it's more tuned to how Stan proposed mass mailing.
Marketing and literature. Promotion. Legitamacy of a stable organization.

If 100 members take a crack at the prize, at $100/ticket, the 928 OC could gross $10K! My guess is this isn't chump change.
Let alone the revenue from new members who sign up. Then the great possibilty of rentention of said members when they realize the OC benefits beyond the raffle.

But we first need to ask, for the people buying the tickets... what's in it for them?

I think you are right on track with the type of restoration, and how it may be pulled off.
However, we may be surprised by unexpected generousity. It's happened before, especially if there is a good story behind it.
More on that to follow....

More
15 Jul 2011 15:18 #5603 by pcar928fan
^^^^^^
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER! I love your gumption and I certainly don't want to dissuade you from further looking in to this! I would LOVE to see it happen!! I think you are right that we could see some VERY unexpected generosity on a project like this. Hell, Mark Anderson (I am not actually sure he is even a current member of the OC) could assemble one from the parts he has w/o batting an eye...Rob Budd and Paul C could whip up all kinds of interior stuff and there are more than a few folks like you out here Jim (think Dwayne!!) who could host wrenching GTG's on weekends to get stuff installed!

It would be a WONDERFUL project and someone would end up with one hell of a cool car to boot! The other project/suggestion that I liked was regional 928 "loaner cars". Again, that would have to be an individual effort but I love the car that 928 Intl has that gets loaned out for a year at a time...

My other suggestion would be '78 or '80 MY cars... There is no real "cool" factor in the '79 yet it retains some of the things that are not great about the OB cars. In '80 those things were updated and improved, so my thought is go with the better car ('80) or the VERY FIRST MY of 928 ('78)...I would say going with the '78 car would be the best option!

It would indeed bring a TON of interest to the 928OC and it would also bring in MANY new members and some really good revenue as well! It would be a project I would love to see pursued!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• xjadz928
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
15 Jul 2011 15:28 #5605 by xjadz928
The Geneva Auto Salon show car.... what was that?

How do we capture people's interest in such a car?

There's got to be a story.

Unfortunately, not alot of info exists on the show car. I believe it was built not too long after mine.

We do have this shot:
(which makes me think the factory owned the car for some time. Looks at Ferry's god awful ca.1980's tweed!)
[IMG]http://www.sparkengineering.com/stuff/geneva 928_3a.JPG[/img]

My research in #6 has unearthed alot of information on these really early cars. And although I have a big thread on RL about it, it's not very collated, or boiled down. But I know there's a story there. I have the information, just not the words.

The story is about the anticipation of the 928, for Porsche.
What the car meant to the company.
Who developed it?
What was the climate that surrounded its inception?
How the stage was set for it's reveal in Vence, France... in Geneva?
How it was received by the press... and the public?
...Front page of Auto Motor and Sport's annual Motor Review
...European Car of the Year, 1978
...Top sales year of the whole production run, 1979.

Karl Ludvigsen finished his preface in Excellence was Expected with this:

In February 1977, I had a chance to meet Fuhrmann again and to try
the latest product of his shrewd discrimination and the skill of the Porsche
engineers: the 928. Other men joined us in Nice for the historic introduction:
Heinz Branitzki, Helmut Flegl, Tony Lapine, and Manfred Jantke were among them.
These were members of a new generation at Porsche. Like me, they had
grown up with the company. They were now ready to make their own
contributions to its progress. The 928 showed just how fine those
contributions could be.

This was published in late 1977.

There is a story here.

[IMG]http://www.sparkengineering.com/stuff/geneva 928_1cc.JPG[/img]

More
18 Jul 2011 08:32 #5641 by linderpat
Hmm - most interesting. I would be interested in seeing this go to the next step. I think I have seen the potential car:)

• xjadz928
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
18 Jul 2011 09:00 #5642 by xjadz928
Thanks Ed! You've seen one of the candidates. ;)

Got some good feedback from a few folks at last weekend's DC GTG.
I think I have a plan to attack this project planning.

However, I could really use some help writing a story. Is anyone here a writer by trade, or even as a hobby? Got a little bit of time?

For anyone reading....

It occurred to me that some might not find the red Geneva show car attractive. I do, but that's just me.
Opinions?

More
18 Jul 2011 12:39 #5643 by 928mac
To Me, the exterior looks fine, but I do not like those old interiors, Phone dials are ... dated which is ok for the old car. Personally, To restore it you have to keep these original icons but if it dose not have to look original then I would change those 2 things. Others may love the rims and interior.
You no what they say, opinions are like A_holes, everyone has one.

• xjadz928
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
26 Jul 2011 11:54 #5714 by xjadz928
Chirp Chirp..... :p

More
26 Jul 2011 13:53 #5717 by 928mac
So would it be a close to original rebuild or would it be up dated because then that is where the opinions come in. That's all I was trying to say;)

• xjadz928
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
26 Jul 2011 14:18 #5718 by xjadz928

So would it be a close to original rebuild or would it be up dated because then that is where the opinions come in. That's all I was trying to say;)

I don't care about opinions.... I was hoping for ideas, interest, leadership, support, time.... engagement.

For instance: "Hey Jim, that's a good idea.... but have you thought about this?"

OR

"I like the concept, is there anyway I can help get this off the ground?"

OR

"I'm a pretty good writer, would you mind if I took a crack at the story?"

OR

"I'm a graphic artist, I could help with advertising."

I'm looking for a sense of engagement, because the is what this project needs to get off the ground. This is NOT something I can do alone.

I'm not frustrated, just disappointed. It appears the traffic is a little on the slow side here. Would it make more sense to post this in a place where it may reach a larger audience?

More
27 Jul 2011 22:48 #5726 by Kiln_Red

I don't care about opinions.... I was hoping for ideas, interest, leadership, support, time.... engagement.

For instance: "Hey Jim, that's a good idea.... but have you thought about this?"

OR

"I like the concept, is there anyway I can help get this off the ground?"

OR

"I'm a pretty good writer, would you mind if I took a crack at the story?"

OR

"I'm a graphic artist, I could help with advertising."

I'm looking for a sense of engagement, because the is what this project needs to get off the ground. This is NOT something I can do alone.

I'm not frustrated, just disappointed. It appears the traffic is a little on the slow side here. Would it make more sense to post this in a place where it may reach a larger audience?

I love this idea. Not only am I a member of 928OC and fully support the idea, but I believe I can make a major contribution to the prospective car. I'm a professional auto painter and competent mechanic. Seeing as how these OB 928s about all need full resprays, I will offer to professionally repaint the prospective car free of charge. I use Glasurit paint products. BASF's premier paint line. In fact, Glasurit often goes on new Porsche vehicles today. It would truly be a pleasure to paint a 928OC restoration car. I would be thrilled! Coincidentally, I have been working toward a full respray on my own '84 right now. With refinish experience on 928s soon to be under my belt, I'm sure doing it a second time would be much faster and easier to do. It's taking these cars apart that is the hard part.

More
29 Jul 2011 09:14 #5735 by WyattsRide
Jim,
This indeed would be a very huge effort to accomplish. Cool idea, but there are some things about this project would definitely need to be worked out. Specifically $ and logistics.

You are spot on with the thought that you would find much generosity among the 928 crowd. I'm just not convinced that you will find generosity in terms of $. Time yes, parts maybe, $'s I don't think. I may be totally wrong on that though.

So, the $ issue would have to be addressed first. Where's the initial $ going to come from to purchase one of the candidate cars? I would think we would need at least 5 - 6 K for a good solid starting point car. (I have no idea what your 2 candidate cars are or their prices)

An idea for the initial start up cost could be raffles based on items donated for the project. I guess most of these could be rounded up through vendors, with the understanding that they would be receiving "free" advertising. All this would have to be coordinated by someone (or group) and access to this raffle would have to be world wide. (web site)

Let's say the $ were raised for the purchase and now the project group has the car. (somewhere?) Now logistics are required to coordinate the maintenance (paint, mechanical, interior) on said vehicle. There are many talented mechanics or artisans (as James called them) out there in our community. But, they are all not in the same location. That will have to be addressed. Maybe all service work would have to be centralized to where the car resides? Logistics.

As far as traffic here. Yes, not much. Besides a few 928OC members, I don't think this place is really that known. And, if you are not an 928OC member, I don't think you can even view most of this site. Although a great group of core contributors (James, Brad, Stan, Martin, Sean and Austin) here, but no where near the volume we would need for ideas, volunteers, etc... This would definitely need to be out there at the other boards. IMO.

I may have a lead on someone that could do an outstanding job on writing the story. I can't commit him at any capacity at this point but, I would be willing to beg and plead if it came to a point where we thought things may materialize.

I would also volunteer myself in any way, as needed. Sorry, I'm very very far from being a mechanic, artisan or writer. But I do love my 928 and would help the 928 community and this project, in any way I could. I may even donate the car if I won it, to James. Because God knows he needs another 928! ;) :)

I will post more issues or ideas as I think of them.

More
29 Jul 2011 09:36 #5736 by 928mac

Jim,
This indeed would be a very huge effort to accomplish. Cool idea, but there are some things about this project would definitely need to be worked out. Specifically $ and logistics.

You are spot on with the thought that you would find much generosity among the 928 crowd. I'm just not convinced that you will find generosity in terms of $. Time yes, parts maybe, $'s I don't think. I may be totally wrong on that though.

So, the $ issue would have to be addressed first. Where's the initial $ going to come from to purchase one of the candidate cars? I would think we would need at least 5 - 6 K for a good solid starting point car. (I have no idea what your 2 candidate cars are or their prices)

An idea for the initial start up cost could be raffles based on items donated for the project. I guess most of these could be rounded up through vendors, with the understanding that they would be receiving "free" advertising. All this would have to be coordinated by someone (or group) and access to this raffle would have to be world wide. (web site)

Let's say the $ were raised for the purchase and now the project group has the car. (somewhere?) Now logistics are required to coordinate the maintenance (paint, mechanical, interior) on said vehicle. There are many talented mechanics or artisans (as James called them) out there in our community. But, they are all not in the same location. That will have to be addressed. Maybe all service work would have to be centralized to where the car resides? Logistics.

As far as traffic here. Yes, not much. Besides a few 928OC members, I don't think this place is really that known. And, if you are not an 928OC member, I don't think you can even view most of this site. Although a great group of core contributors (James, Brad, Stan, Martin, Sean and Austin) here, but no where near the volume we would need for ideas, volunteers, etc... This would definitely need to be out there at the other boards. IMO.

I may have a lead on someone that could do an outstanding job on writing the story. I can't commit him at any capacity at this point but, I would be willing to beg and plead if it came to a point where we thought things may materialize.

I would also volunteer myself in any way, as needed. Sorry, I'm very very far from being a mechanic, artisan or writer. But I do love my 928 and would help the 928 community and this project, in any way I could. I may even donate the car if I won it, to James. Because God knows he needs another 928! ;) :)

I will post more issues or ideas as I think of them.

Very well put Rick

More
29 Jul 2011 10:43 #5739 by srshaw3
I would suggest what you need first is the person to lead this, someone to document what is needed, what has been offered, what will be done, etc.

Once there is some level of that type of organization, basically a plan along the lines of a business plan, with commitment from a core group of volunteers, you will have the ability to attract sponsors in various ways.

Just in my brief review, you have an offer to paint the 928, that is huge! :D

More
29 Jul 2011 14:18 #5742 by 928mac
Someone to Coordinate, That sounds like a good spot to start Stan.

Lets put it out there

Dose anyone feel that they have the time and abillity to Document and coordinate this project?
The go to person to control the logistics

jadz928, you said;

do you want to be that person?
and you also asked
[However, I could really use some help writing a story]
Rick (WyattsRide) said he may have a lead on someone that could do an outstanding job on writing the story
Is that still possible Rick?

Also, Stan, is this something that the board should be in on? because if it turns out bad it makes 928oc look bad.
Just a thought

More
29 Jul 2011 14:30 #5743 by srshaw3

Also, Stan, is this something that the board should be in on? because if it turns out bad it makes 928oc look bad.
Just a thought

Right now, it is just members talking about an idea. Certainly the board does *not* need to approve that.

If the board were to provide any support, or be involved, it would require a vote, but I haven't seen anything for the board to vote on. That is why I suggested a plan, like a business plan, be put together. I would expect there would be many questions from the board even when there is a plan, right now the questions would be endless, and invariably come back to "what is the plan?".

Once this evolves from an idea to a plan, I am certainly willing to put it in front of the board for discussion. While the board might be interested in providing some support, I would not want anyone to think that any significant financial support is likely to come from the 928 OC as there are not resources to do so.

More
29 Jul 2011 14:54 #5744 by WyattsRide

[However, I could really use some help writing a story]
Rick (WyattsRide) said he may have a lead on someone that could do an outstanding job on writing the story
Is that still possible Rick?

All I can do at this point is put out a "feeler" to see if this person would be interested in writing the story, IF the plan comes together.

The 928OC does not (I would assume) have the $ nor the members, as the PCA does. I would think the PCA would/could to be involved somehow. If that's even possible.

• xjadz928
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
01 Aug 2011 20:17 #5768 by xjadz928

I love this idea. Not only am I a member of 928OC and fully support the idea, but I believe I can make a major contribution to the prospective car. I'm a professional auto painter and competent mechanic. Seeing as how these OB 928s about all need full resprays, I will offer to professionally repaint the prospective car free of charge. I use Glasurit paint products. BASF's premier paint line. In fact, Glasurit often goes on new Porsche vehicles today. It would truly be a pleasure to paint a 928OC restoration car. I would be thrilled! Coincidentally, I have been working toward a full respray on my own '84 right now. With refinish experience on 928s soon to be under my belt, I'm sure doing it a second time would be much faster and easier to do. It's taking these cars apart that is the hard part.

Thanks for the great offer!

All I can do at this point is put out a "feeler" to see if this person would be interested in writing the story, IF the plan comes together.

I believe part of the plan is the story. It's part of what attracts people to the project.

I may have a candidate car. Just picked it up last weekend.

Attached files [img]media/attachments/5914=665-928_No1_4.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/5914=666-928_No1_6.jpg[/img]

• xjadz928
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
02 Aug 2011 15:27 #5775 by xjadz928
Thanks fellas. Your input was much appreciated!

Here's a link to a thread on RL further discussing this project.
forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...928-restoration.html

More
08 Aug 2011 00:53 #5809 by pcar928fan
Jim,

You have a PM over on RL...

Those seats look DAMN NICE! Are the rub strips original? I can't imagine they are! I know that front "S" spoiler and the side markers are NOT original!

Man, if you have paint already accounted for then you are well past 1/3rd of the way home on this one!

Someone PLEASE donate this to the Morrison Collection! I will need someone to drive it from time to time though since it is a 5spd... Even better, Jim, find me the FIRST auto 928 built!!! I'll take that one!!!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!