Combine the forums?

More
27 Jul 2011 20:37 #5723 by linderpat
Stan et al - it seems the general discussion and the technical discussion forums severely overlap - does it make sense to think about collapsing them into one forum? I know - I'm lazy - hate clicking thru both for the same general content.
Thoughts ye 928 gods?:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2011 21:59 #5724 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Combine the forums?

Stan et al - it seems the general discussion and the technical discussion forums severely overlap - does it make sense to think about collapsing them into one forum? I know - I'm lazy - hate clicking thru both for the same general content.
Thoughts ye 928 gods?:D

I bet that its that lazy moderator that should be moving the post to the correct area. I know its rocket science to post tech everywhere but the tech forum, but hey, when they need to find it again, ummmm look in the morning thread????

Just my 2 cents

Brad

More
27 Jul 2011 22:24 #5725 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Combine the forums?
I try my very best to keep new threads assigned to their correct locations. I find myself moving a lot of new threads from the Tech Tips forum to the Tech Discussion forum, though I feel both forums are necessary and should remain separate.

Personally, I don't mind shuffling topics and I like the forums as they are. If I felt otherwise, then I wouldn't have volunteered as a mod. I see your point however and will try to do better to keep these threads arranged correctly and more promptly.

More
27 Jul 2011 23:59 #5727 by 928mac

I try my very best to keep new threads assigned to their correct locations. I find myself moving a lot of new threads from the Tech Tips forum to the Tech Discussion forum, though I feel both forums are necessary and should remain separate.

Personally, I don't mind shuffling topics and I like the forums as they are. If I felt otherwise, then I wouldn't have volunteered as a mod. I see your point however and will try to do better to keep these threads arranged correctly and more promptly.

Oh Austin :eek: I was not talking about you and I am sorry that it sounded like it.
I was referring to me, I'm the lazy moderator ha ha.

Man I would never bash another member, well unless he stoled my beer. ha ha

I hope that you did not get pzzz at me. :D

Sorry

:)

More
29 Jul 2011 10:37 #5738 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Combine the forums?
Sorry, I was mostly offline for a few days, as we had storms that took out our home 'net access for a few days (only lost power for a day).

I would suggest you subscribe to those forums you are interested in, so you receive an email notice when an update is made.

The layout of the forums is intentional, and while change is always possible, I would want an understanding of what the change in purpose is, and whether it is beneficial to all.

We have:
1. Vendor Offers to 928 OC Members.
This is viewable by all,. The intent is that vendors make special offers to 928 OC members, and non members will see an additional benefit in joining.

2. Goodies Store.
This is viewable by all. Items available for sale to support 928 OC causes.

3. Say Good Morning Here
This is viewable and update-able by all. This was an idea of Brad, to stimulate general conversation.

4. Classifieds
This is viewable and update-able by all. Allows those interested in buying or selling 928 related items.

5. Technical Tips
This is viewable by all and while update-able by all, is specific to technical *tips*, not questions and not discussion. So when someone learns the 928 has a built in bottle opener, they can describe how to use it here. This is a casual forum as opposed to the technical library that is more of a standardized format.

6. 928 OC Roadside Assistance Members
This is only viewable by 928 OC members. Each member can add an entry that is reviewed by a moderator. The entry titles are formatted so they will be in the proper order for quick access, as the forum is sorted by the title. A member looking for help, can quickly find someone in the country and state/province, and hopefully a nearby city. Members that have a failure on the road, can view this themselves or if needed call another member to review the forum for them.

7. 928 OC Technical Library
This is only viewable by 928 OC members. Technical tips that have evolved to well documented procedures are included. The desire is that members will provide more of these over time. Similar to the Roadside forum, theis forum is sorted by title, so the format of the title is closely monitored.

8. 928 OC Member Car Profiles
This is only viewable by 928 OC members. Each member can create their own topic to talk about their 928(s) and update it for other members to view as they desire.

9. 928 OC Member
This is only viewable by 928 OC members. A forum where members can discuss 928 OC related topics

10. 928 OC General Discussion
This is only viewable by 928 OC members. Open to discussion beyond 928s.

11. 928 OC Technical Discussion
This is only viewable by 928 OC members. Open to discussion of issues, thoughts, solutions, etc. about 928s.

12. 928 OC Board Votes
This is only viewable by 928 OC members. Where 928 OC board voting can be viewed.

13. Event Discussion
This is only viewable by 928 OC members. Where 928 events can be discussed. There is also the calendar accessible form the top navigation bar for listing events.

Thoughts on consolidation, ideally with reasons as to why, are appreciated.

More
30 Jul 2011 13:27 #5748 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Combine the forums?

Oh Austin :eek: I was not talking about you and I am sorry that it sounded like it.
I was referring to me, I'm the lazy moderator ha ha.

Man I would never bash another member, well unless he stoled my beer. ha ha

I hope that you did not get pzzz at me. :D

Sorry

:)

I wasn't at all reflecting on your post. I understood your post as it was meant to be read. I was only offering my take on the original post. My post would've read the same even if you had not posted at all. So, no hard feelings. :)

More
01 Aug 2011 20:40 #5769 by linderpat
Replied by linderpat on topic Combine the forums?
Just to be clear (which I thought I was in my op), I'm not suggesting a wholesale collapse of all of the forums or even of any random order of forums. Just the 928 Tech Discussion forum (not Tips - leave it seperate as it is now) and the 928 General Discussion forum - look at all of the topics in each. There is a tremendous amount of overlap. If the two must be kept seperate, then relabel the 928 General Discussion forum as "Off Topic" if that is what the intent is. This will maake its purpose more obvious, and keep the tech talk where it belongs - in the Tech Forum.

More
01 Aug 2011 21:09 #5770 by srshaw3
I think the Good Morning forum would be the off topic forum. If you want, perhaps you could put up a poll and see what others think. Perhaps with the Good Morning forum, the General Discussion is not needed.

I think leaving the Technical Forum separate is important, so members with issues can post for assistance, or members that found a good solution to a common problem can post it, etc.

More
02 Aug 2011 08:20 #5771 by linderpat
Replied by linderpat on topic Combine the forums?

I think the Good Morning forum would be the off topic forum. If you want, perhaps you could put up a poll and see what others think. Perhaps with the Good Morning forum, the General Discussion is not needed.

I think leaving the Technical Forum separate is important, so members with issues can post for assistance, or members that found a good solution to a common problem can post it, etc.

I agree Stan - I am not suggesting deleting the technical forum. If you look at the threads in the general forum, many of them are technical topics that should be in the technical forum. If the good morning forum is the euivalent of the off topic subject, then I would delete the general discussion forum as being redundant with both the technical forum and the good morning forum.
Anyhow, I think you guys do a great job with all of this, so my $.02 isn't worth more than that:)

More
02 Aug 2011 09:08 #5772 by 928mac
I introduced the Good Morning Tread as just a good morning thread. example.

"Good morning everyone, going for a rip in the car today"

The gen Thread is for stuff like.

Hey everyone, went for a rip today and I couldn't believe how bad the roads are getting.
The wild life is bad as well.
I was doing 200Kph and I hit a jackalobe that tore off my front skirt and left me pantless.

I like the forum the way it is, mind you there is a lot of over lap.
I have been gently directing members to use the correct forum but some of us are old and repetition is required.

Like Stan said, Start a poll.

Brad

More
19 Aug 2011 12:11 #5936 by 928mac
Stan,
should I move some of the more technical topics from the Gen thread to the technical thread

More
19 Aug 2011 14:08 #5937 by srshaw3
As you think appropriate sir :)

More
21 Aug 2011 23:23 #5954 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Combine the forums?
You know what I always do is go to the blue bar with "User CP" "FAQ", etc. on it and click on "New Posts" and then follow all that are there that I am interested in that have been added to since my last visit! SUPER EASY! Once you have looked through the current stuff after your first visit or during your first visit to the site you can always just use "new posts" after that and follow the ones of interest...

I like it! :D

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!