Problems with New Clutch

• dwarner928
  • dwarner928's Avatar Topic Author
More
05 Nov 2011 16:22 #6749 by dwarner928
Problems with New Clutch was created by dwarner928
Bought the Clutch kit from Roger and had it installed by a guy who said he worked on the first 928's coming into the country and had installed these clutches before.

They told me when I picked up the car that it was a little tricky going into 1 and R and that it can grind a little. It would do that before before the car was warm but only going into 1st.

So I drove the car home and had a couple of errands where it became harder and harder to get into 1st without grinding.

Today it was nearly impossible to get into 1 or R with the car running. Had to start in 2nd and finally parked it until Monday when it goes back to the shop.

Is there an adjustment to keep that from happening? Is the syncro blown?

The car has just about 97K on it.

Can the syncro be repaired or is it time to look for a used transmission? Do I have to have a transmission specifically for the 80 ERUO or will another fit?

Thanks!

D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2011 19:19 #6755 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Problems with New Clutch
I dont think it is a syncro.
I think you should tell them that they did something is wrong and make them fix it for free.
I believe they damaged the pilot bearing or there is not enough clutch free play.

The syncro really comes into effect when shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and back down.

Yes 1st has a syncro but I do not think reverse dose.
I may be wrong but dont think so.

The point is you took the car and charged you an agreed apone price to replace the clutch. They did not deliver. end of story.

Brad

• dwarner928
More
05 Nov 2011 21:50 #6756 by dwarner928
Replied by dwarner928 on topic Problems with New Clutch
Thanks Brad...something ain't right...I just hate giving up another day or two of good weather...

More
05 Nov 2011 22:50 #6757 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Problems with New Clutch
Reverse almost never has a synchro in any car; I don't think the early 928s are any different. I always first shift into a synchronized gear before shifting into R on any standard shift auto as a habit. A habit I picked up from driving 87-93 5.0 Mustangs. I don't think you need a new transmission, though, and I don't think your synchros or any other internal bits are an issue. Is Roger's clutch adjustable? If so, I think a simple adjustment could cure your hard shifting issues. Maybe your clutch isn't engaging/disengaging enough which can result in other damage so I would definitely get it figured out ASAP.

Brad could be right on, too...

• dwarner928
More
06 Nov 2011 21:17 #6765 by dwarner928
Replied by dwarner928 on topic Problems with New Clutch
Sadly..I don't know if the clutch is adjustable or not. It's a SACHS which I think is OEM. I'm sure they just didn't install it correctly or set it up right...Who knows? But you can be sure whatever it is...I'm not paying for it again.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!