Shopping for my first 928

• 19psi
  • 19psi's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Nov 2011 08:04 #6824 by 19psi
Shopping for my first 928 was created by 19psi
Hi everybody!

I'm currently shopping for a 928 which has been my dream car since I was a kid. Currently have my Corvette Stingray up for sale that I've really grown to dislike over the last 12 years.

I'd prefer an 87 to 89 with manual trans. I don't really have a budget and would like a very original prime example with less than 60K miles and all records. On the other hand I don't want to overpay either. I'm in the Chicagoland area and prices seem to be all over the place. Is there some type of accurate price guide and check list available?

I've also located what appears to be a beautiful 1982 Weissach edition with 40K miles. Supposedly mint original paint and interior. Also has the original luggage. It does have aftermarket wheels but the owner states it comes with originals too. From what I understand, this model had a nice factory bronze like window tint and the pictures are showing what may be aftermarket tint which would be the only issue so far.

Downside is that it's an automatic and a low HP year but I think I can overlook that for something this nice and unique. I keep going back and looking at the ad as I can't get this particular car out of my head. Love the color and interior.
Now the important question....is this edition really worth that much more than a standard 928? The owner has it listed at $12,500.
Other than appearance are there any other changes? I understand there are no performance gains but I have read there may be gear ratio and brake differences?

Thanks for any advice!

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2011 08:56 #6825 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Shopping for my first 928
Welcome George.

There are endless debates about value and pricing. It seems to me that many fans are used to a state where the 928 is grossly unappreciated and so can be had for comparatively little money, but only if you look for a while. But on the other hand they complain about low prices. They enjoy buying low but want a high price/valuable/appreciated car :rolleyes:

As you say, prices are all over the place, and many 'isolated' sellers believe their cars should be worth more - but then end up being unable to sell after many months. The odd car goes to a 'naive' buyer thru a dealer for a crazy price.

A pristine Weissach can command a premium (esp. with luggage - altho a new set is 'only' $1,100) but I think the consensus is not more than say +20%. But again, until and unless 928's become collectors cars and start to appreciate (which has been predicted for years but has yet to happen) then special editions won't have much additional cache either.

More
09 Nov 2011 09:42 #6826 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Shopping for my first 928
Charlie Sheen's 1994 928 FS (only 52392 miles) (Santa Clara)

Just a FYI that I ran across.

sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/2682746991.html

Here is a 1989 928 GT 5-speed on Craigslist. $9000 (No affiliation)
looks like it needs some work.

api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKe...jsonp_13208532198841

Ok here is 1 more

Has ONLY 11,000 miles on it.
Year 1990
Full camel skin interior (baige cream color)
Blue exterior color
seats four
Cleaned inside
full equiped sound system
stick shift
Call 724-816-6954 or 724-816-6540

pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2670481434.html

More
09 Nov 2011 09:56 #6829 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Shopping for my first 928

Here is a 1989 928 GT 5-speed on Craigslist. $9000 (No affiliation)
looks like it needs some work.

api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKe...jsonp_13208532198841

Be aware that not all '89 5 speed 928s are GTs, so the numbers should be checked, even confirming the motor code and transmission code. That is "if" it is being bought because it is thought to be a GT.

More
09 Nov 2011 15:44 #6834 by MarkP
Replied by MarkP on topic Shopping for my first 928
Looks like James had a hand producing this ad...

• 19psi
More
09 Nov 2011 17:00 #6837 by 19psi
Replied by 19psi on topic Shopping for my first 928
Thanks for all the replies and leads.

I'm in NW Indiana and within an hour of Chicago so 928s seem to be plentiful around here.

I'll probably be shopping around for a while unless I decide on that '82 which is a good candidate. I won't be going for a 90+ model...no offense to any owners here, but the restyled rear end just kills it for me.
Unfortunately I need to get rid of my '75 Vette to make room. I just listed it last night at what I feel is a reasonable price so hopefully it'll go soon. 12 years ago I chose it over a 78 Euro at about the same price. I'm at the point now that if it was a dog, I'd leave the garage door open in hopes it would wander off during the night and never return. :rolleyes:

I know a 928 won't be a picnic to work on but I'm hoping Porsche used more logic in their creation than GM did with the C3. I think they started with a heater core and began building the car around it.

More
09 Nov 2011 21:19 #6844 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Shopping for my first 928

Looks like James had a hand producing this ad...

ROTFLMAO! That is good! I had to look at that one just to see and yes, I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to have her in my calendar! LOL!

To the OP...

You state you want an '87-89 5spd and then you are looking at an '82 auto AND that you don't like the "restyled" rear end on the '90+ cars. I might suggest you learn a bit more about 928's as the rear end on an '87 - '89 928 is EXACTLY THE SAME AS THAT ON A '90 -'91 car!

Also, if you like 5spds and are thinking along those lines, you probably WON'T like an early auto!

Low mileage, 5spd, excellent condition S4's demand a premium over anything but a GTS. Expect to pay $16k+ for what you are looking for! Sometimes you find a deal on a higher mileage 5spd that is also in excellent condition with all maintenance up to date, but still probably a $13k car minimum.

If in fact you actually don't like the S4 rear bumper cover design (which I find hard to believe as it might well be the best looking 928 rear end ever made) you will need to be looking at '86 and older 928's.

The '86.5 928 S has S4 brakes and 32V 5.0 engine and they are known to be quite fast cars. The regular '86 has the smaller brakes on the front (vs. the larger S4 brakes) but is otherwise the same as the '86.5 and the '85 is the same as the '86.

The '83-'84 928S cars have the 4.7L (254 HP) engine. The '78-'82 cars have the 4.5L (220HP) engine.

There are EURO S cars from '80-'86 with 4.7L 300hp Euro engines, but finding good ones can sometimes be a challenge. If you need to meet emissions they can also be tough to tune or that...

Good luck with your quest! 928's are AWESOME cars, but do your homework and learn as much as you can here before you buy!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• 19psi
More
09 Nov 2011 23:32 #6847 by 19psi
For some reason I thought '90 started the red area between the tail lights but I see I was wrong. Looking through more images I'm seeing that on some but not all '91 models.
That's what I don't care for. Was that used on a certain package?

I would prefer a later higher HP model but certainly would not rule out an exceptional older model. As far as price, I would have no issues dropping $15K to $20K for the right car.

The Euros pop up around here from time to time, however I live in an area with very strict emission testing so that can be a problem I'd rather not deal with.

More
10 Nov 2011 00:54 #6848 by pcar928fan
George,

The red "reflector" between the tail lights is GTS only (unless an S4 is wrecked and needs a new rear bumper cover...they don't make the S4 bumper cover anymore). Therefore they should appear only on '92-'95 928's.

Since you live in a smog testing area don't bother with a EURO car...it will be more trouble than it is worth.

You would be best served limiting your search to 5spd cars from '85-'91 and I tell anyone who is interested '89 is probably the best all around year. If you must have air bags then you are stuck with '90 or newer. I don't know why, but I just think the '89 has the best of all the 928's. No airbags (I can take them or leave them), digital dash, lower rear end gear ratio (I think that is true on the auto cars and the manual cars...not positive about this though), parcel shelf below the dash... I just like the '89 cars. Then I'd go '88, '87, '91, '90...

The best of the best are the GTS's, but they have the tail you don't like and 5spd versions will cost substantially more than a comparable S4.

If you are willing to spend $16k - $20k you should be able to purchase one of the nicest 5spd S4's anywhere. Just a matter of finding the right one for you! Keep us posted on your search!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
10 Nov 2011 04:23 #6849 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Shopping for my first 928
I would advocate much of what James said. Too bad you aren't closer to him, he could show you a variety of years from his collection and explain differences.

Don't get an automatic if you want a 5 speed, you will never be happy otherwise. Many a 928 owner has bought an automatic, fixed it up, and then sold it because they needed a 5 speed, this is a way to expend funds unnecessarily. With that said, there are those that love automatics. So drive both in your search.

Decide if you want a 928 with essentially everything done, or one you are willing to fix up, or have fixed up. Understand that fixing them is expensive and time consuming. You can save huge sums of money by identifying and resolving issues yourself through the resources of other 928 owners. I am fond of saying that I know quite a bit about 928s, but what is more important is I know people who know what I don't know.

Be prepared for some frustration when an issue arises. There are not too many really good 928 mechanics, as most mechanics no longer have a motivation or interest in understanding 928s. There are exceptions, and if you live near one, treat your mechanic like a long lost son.

Right now there can be great deals on 928s, people are more attached to paying for their home and food, then their 928s. Most importantly when you buy have a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) done, by someone knowledgeable about 928s. Anything can be fixed on a 928, but some things are much more expensive than others.

Even if you buy a well maintained 928, be mentally prepared for $5k in bills the first year. It may not happen, and often does not, but to those who are unprepared it detracts from the owning experience.

If I were looking, I would check out the '89 GT Brad pointed at. It might be bought for $5k.

Just keep your eyes *wide* open, and you will enjoy the car so much.

More
10 Nov 2011 07:56 #6850 by denhamfly
Replied by denhamfly on topic Shopping for my first 928
The lady in the car picture is my mom, so ya'll be nice!

More
13 Nov 2011 21:38 #6913 by pcar928fan
^^^^^^
LOL! I'd have a MASSIVE edipal (sic) complex if that were my mom! ;)

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
14 Nov 2011 08:51 #6916 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Shopping for my first 928
I have an 83 S auto, and now that it is running close to normal, I find it very satisfying with no mods yet. There were less than 9,000 83's produced and much of that was for the rest of the world. So there is a little exclusivity there. But I was not buying it for that, I just liked the body style with rubber spoiler. Plus a small consideration with 83 and below is that the 16v cars are a little less complicated engine-wise and won't detonate your engine if you lose the timing chain.

That being said, I would certainly get a later model as well if I found a good one! Just a few comments.

Good luck!

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
14 Nov 2011 11:14 #6918 by 928mac

• 19psi
More
14 Nov 2011 22:38 #6924 by 19psi

I have an 83 S auto, and now that it is running close to normal, I find it very satisfying with no mods yet. There were less than 9,000 83's produced and much of that was for the rest of the world. So there is a little exclusivity there. But I was not buying it for that, I just liked the body style with rubber spoiler. Plus a small consideration with 83 and below is that the 16v cars are a little less complicated engine-wise and won't detonate your engine if you lose the timing chain.

That being said, I would certainly get a later model as well if I found a good one! Just a few comments.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. That's good to know as I thought they were all interference engines.

More
15 Nov 2011 00:05 #6925 by pcar928fan
EURO S 4.7L engines are still interference engines, but all the US 4.7L and 4.5L are free and clear when a T-belt breaks...at least according to most folks.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• 19psi
More
18 Nov 2011 21:16 #6980 by 19psi
The Stingray that I owned for 12 years just rolled out the driveway. Bitter/sweet but I'd grown very bored with that car.

That Weissach edition has been on my mind non stop. I had a long conversation on the phone with the guy and he sent me some pictures. So far the car appears nearly flawless. The one red flag is that he doesn't think he has the Weissach certificate. It does however have the dash plaque and luggage. I also checked the VIN and it comes up as 928 Base / Weissach.
Other issues are window tint, non original stereo and rear spoiler (spoiler is something I would have added myself).

I'm going to try and set something up with him to check it out this weekend...hopefully tomorrow. I searched the guy's phone number and apparently he is a mechanic who has a business doing customizing and restoration on some high end classic cars. Doesn't appear to be a backyard hack.

I know all cars have their weak areas. Can I get a few pointers as what to examine? Timing belt and water pump have been replaced, injectors cleaned...he seems to have a laundry list of everything that's been done and claims the only non working item is the volt meter which starts off ok but slowly drops to 0. Charging system does work.

Also is it possible to go too wide on tires and throw geometry off? The 19" aftermarket wheels are stunning but looking at the pics it looks as if the front is 235/30-19 tire and the rear may be wider yet. He claims to have done research on all the correct offsets. They also have Porsche emblems on them which is a nice touch. It also does include the original wheels.

Lastly would $12K be reasonable if the car is as nice as advertised. I see $10K is the high end for an '82. Is this edition really worth the extra 20% or just something "nice to have"? I know he probably has some serious cash wrapped up in the wheels and tires but I don't really consider that as something that would increase resale value.

I'm pretty much a masochist when it comes to complex and/or parts NLA type of vehicles. I'm quite mechanically inclined. However this car is new territory for me and if I find any concerns, can anyone recommend a good Porsche mechanic or dealer that still knows these cars in the Chicagoland area?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
18 Nov 2011 22:39 #6981 by pcar928fan
That car looks VERY, VERY NICE, but that S4 wing should be REMOVED IMMEDIATELY! Completely stupid and RUINS the lines of that car!! OMG! TAKE IT OFFFFFFF!!!!!!

On a spoilerless OB I at least don't GAG when I see a wing on them, but a S with its rear spoiler in place AND an S4 WING?! OMG...put the person that did that IN JAIL!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
18 Nov 2011 22:48 #6983 by 928mac
If you are mechanically inclined then you will do fine.
That is what we the forum are for, see the statement at the top of the page.

Our sole purpose is to support owners' in their use and
maintenance of the Porsche 928s throughout the world

James can tell you more about the price and the car. JAMES!!

Brad

• 19psi
More
19 Nov 2011 00:13 #6985 by 19psi
This may be a deciding factor....would he have had to drill holes in order to attach that wing?

More
19 Nov 2011 07:11 #6986 by martinss

This may be a deciding factor....would he have had to drill holes in order to attach that wing?

He would have - two per side. You can get body coloured blanking plugs that should cover the holes until you fill them should you go that route. Besides the esthetic factor, try figuring out how air flows between the spoiler and wing - not pretty

• 19psi
More
19 Nov 2011 08:50 #6987 by 19psi

He would have - two per side. You can get body coloured blanking plugs that should cover the holes until you fill them should you go that route. Besides the esthetic factor, try figuring out how air flows between the spoiler and wing - not pretty

Is there a site that sells plugs that would already be the "hells bronze" color? I love the wraparound and that will stay. I'm undecided over the S4 wing and as you mentioned the air flow factor probably isn't good.

Trying to set something up with him to view it this afternoon and he's acting a bit flaky. He's asking if I'm ready to purchase this car or just coming out to kick the tires?
We had a nice conversation Thursday. I emailed him yesterday to tell him the Vette was sold and I'd like to come by today to examine the car. I guess it's possible he's just been stung by a lot of no shows and lowballers.

I just sent an email mentioning that I'm genuinely interested yet I can't can't make a commitment to buy tonight just because I'm driving out to examine the car. We'll see how that goes.

If it's as advertised and everything goes well, I may become a 928 owner this weekend. :cool:

More
19 Nov 2011 13:00 #6989 by martinss

Is there a site that sells plugs that would already be the "hells bronze" color? ...

Sorry - I should have been clearer. You can spray the plugs with touch-up paint. You'll find the holes should be quite small and on the side rails only of the hatch - if he did it like factory.

Good luck!

More
19 Nov 2011 18:24 #6995 by pcar928fan
The company "bumperplugs.com" (I think that is the actual url anyway) sells body colored plugs to fill the holes that are made for mounting front license plates and those may work for these holes too, but I don't know that for sure.

The painting with touch up paint should work as well. You would just need to find some plugs.

Good luck with the seller. He probably has had MANY tire kickers out looking and is ticked off about it. His price is a bit on the high side perhaps but if it looks as good in person as it does in pics AND I was interested in that color/type 928 I'd buy it! Car looks amazing! I like those wheels too actually.

Hope you join the ranks as owner soon!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• 19psi
More
20 Nov 2011 01:31 #7010 by 19psi
Thanks for all the help guys.

#153 is now sitting in my garage! I was hoping it wasn't a case of touched up photos and it wasn't. I have to keep going out to the garage to look at it.
For a 30 year old car it is close to immaculate. It's not without flaws as it does have a few touch ups but overall better than most 2 year old cars imo. The paint is like glass. No domestic or Japanese car that I've ever owned has come close to this in fit and finish.

No leaks. Starts and idles smooth. Handling is beyond tight. Underbody is spotless. As expected off the line is less than stellar but once it hits 45 it really comes to life and doesn't want to stop.
This is one of those cars you really need a manual for which I'm still going through. All the bells and whistles seem to work. Tool kit is all there along with spare, jack and 2 spare belts with a metal tag attached with German lettering. I am disappointed to see the air compressor is missing.
Of course the luggage is there and very nice.
Original wheels are nice and all have the center caps. Unfortunately the Blaupunkt stereo is not salvageable as part of the front is missing. It does still have the Blaupunkt cassette in the armrest tape holder along with some white credit card looking thing. Has both original black keys and a red auxiliary key which doesn't seem to work. Factory alarm works.

I have a list of repairs that he's done. I'm not sure if he bought this car to flip or if he just needed the cash but he put quite a bit into it. Wheels and tires were $1600 alone and have less than 200 miles on them. We went back to his shop which is where he had the stock wheels stored and that place was rather nice. Reminded me more of a Quaker Steak and Lube up front and high end cars being worked on in the back including a Z06 Lingenfelter.

Hopefully I won't have any issues with the out of state VIN check, emissions and title next week. I did do an Autocheck on it which brought up nothing but registration renewals and emissions tests. That at least gave me peace of mind over the mileage since the miles were reported over the years as the checks were done.

If it's not raining I'll try to get some pic tomorrow.

Quick question...the lower rockers have a stone guard paint, was this stock or did someone add it?

More
20 Nov 2011 08:01 #7011 by WyattsRide
Replied by WyattsRide on topic Shopping for my first 928
Welcome to 928 ownership! It's a blast for sure.

You say you're mechanical so the 928 won't be a problem for you. Read a lot here and at RL and you'll transition right in.

Hopefully you be able to remove that S4 wing without too much scars. The hole plugs that were suggested seem like an excellent solution at least temporarily. That's what guys have done on their S4's when removing the rear wiper to plug the attachment holes. It looks decent.

Quick question...the lower rockers have a stone guard paint, was this stock or did someone add it?

If you are talking about the lowest portion of the body sides below the door and if the textured/bumpy appearance is stock, then yes it's stock. I'm not a real big fan of this look, but I guess it has a function.

More pictures please! :D

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Nov 2011 12:51 #7014 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Shopping for my first 928
yes, the S4 wing would have to have been securely attached generally by drilling holes.

For the kind of money your looking to spend there should be many choices and generally the rule is to buy as new as possible with the most up to date maintenance.

Notice I didnt mention distance. Most assume less is better but that then is an indication that the car has not moved much and possibly not maintained.

These cars like to be driven and the more they're driven the more likely they'll running better than the non-driven.

A GT commands more $$$ than a S4 but little diff. in total performance. All GTs are 5 speeds but S4 are mostly autos which I can assure are lots of fun.

Whatever you choose remember that these cars are starting to be of age where they all require up to date maintenance which if not done by the owner can become quite expensive but then you'll have us to tell you how :D

More
20 Nov 2011 14:53 #7017 by pcar928fan

Whatever you choose remember that these cars are starting to be of age where they all require up to date maintenance which if not done by the owner can become quite expensive but then you'll have us to tell you how :D

Malcolm, he already chose... HE BOUGHT THE CAR! ;)

Congrats on your purchase. That looked like a REALLY NICE CAR!!! You can't tell a lot from the pics, but they sure did look good and clearly they were accurate.

More pics when you can and keep us posted on your ownership journey! Seriously if you decide to sell it at some point and have kept is nice let me know. I am always looking for another 928... 8 is NEVER enough!

I can't wait to see the wheels up close and the luggage! If he got those wheels/tires for $1600 then he did pretty well. The wheels on my EURO85 (the Carrera Light Weights in black with red lips) with tires were $2200...of course the custom paint was not cheap so that is probably the difference.

Congrats again! BTW, have you FORMALLY joined the 928OC??? Just checking. If you have you can post pics of your car in the Members Cars section!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Nov 2011 15:00 #7019 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Shopping for my first 928
Damn...the cold is gettin to me already.:o

congrats on the purchase and welcome.

As said post more pics and ask as many questions as you want....if we dont have the answers we'll get them :D

• 19psi
More
20 Nov 2011 17:21 #7024 by 19psi
Where do I find information on the OC club? I checked the sticky thread but there are no links in there?

Here's a few dreary pictures. I've yet to see it in the sun...hopefully one of these years.

More
20 Nov 2011 17:58 #7025 by pcar928fan
Yea, that is a real beauty! Other than the S4 wing and upturned exhaust (I'd get rid of both of those things post haste) that car is SWEET! With a full good set of luggage I think you got a real winner there!

www.928oc.org

That will get you to the links to join the club!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• 19psi
More
20 Nov 2011 20:17 #7028 by 19psi
Thanks for the link! I'll get signed up this week.

A bit disappointed here. I didn't realize how many pieces of luggage there was supposed to be. I have the two suitcases but no garment bag. :(

At least they're in nice condition with all straps and Porsche emblems. They'll have to stay in the house, the lady I talked to today at Hagerty said they wouldn't be covered if stolen out of the car.

More
20 Nov 2011 20:21 #7029 by WyattsRide
Replied by WyattsRide on topic Shopping for my first 928
Yep that sure is a beauty!

I knew there was something up with the exhaust tips on the pictures you showed in the thread on RL. It wasn't too clear, but they looked real wide or something. Now with your own clear pictures the tips are upturned like James mentioned. It doesn't look right to me that way, but it's your car. :)

I can't figure out why the PO would add that S4 wing. But again, that was his car and he must of liked the look.

BTW your pictures look great. You don't always need sunny weather for good pictures.

• 19psi
More
20 Nov 2011 21:36 #7033 by 19psi
Love the muffler and that's a keeper. Has a nice mean sound and yet not annoying. Brand new from the cat back too.

More
20 Nov 2011 21:53 #7036 by martinss
Congratulations - a gorgeous car. I'm envious. Your biggest issue will be deciding how stock to keep it. Whatever premium it has because it's a limited edition could be lost with customization to get it the way you want, but that may limit your fun. Could be the start of a collection like James' ;)

A few things that occurred to me:

1. You mentioned that it was missing the Certificate of Authenticity. I believe you can get these, at least for a regular car, from Porsche. Perhaps you can get one for a Weissach

2. You mentioned you are missing a piece of the luggage. Roger at 928RUs mentioned he has a couple of full sets ($1,100 IIRC). I doubt he'd break up a set, but perhaps he has single pieces too, or you could split a set with other Weissach owners

3. Your dash is exceptional. They are prone to crack, even vinyl, but less so than leather. You can read plenty of threads on keeping them out of the sun

4. Looks like your console switches have most of the icons worn off (or it could be the pic). You can buy overlays, but James will tell you they don't look as good ;)

More
21 Nov 2011 02:40 #7044 by pcar928fan
Martin is right...you can buy the overlays for the buttons, but they don't look NEARLY as good! LOL! They are a hell of a lot cheaper though and I use them on a few of my cars... not my super show cars, but some of the minor show cars get them! LOL!

As for the muffler, keep the muffler but take it to a muffler shop and tell them to cut the tips off and just make the straight out from the canister, that would look infinitely better...more like it *SHOULD* look...

Of course it is YOUR car so do what you like, but the purists (like me for the most part...though there are some mods that I do really like) will say those tips look a little ricer-ish...

It is a hell of a good looking car!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
21 Nov 2011 10:34 #7046 by 928mac
I am not a purist,
but as a mechanic I always install exhaust so that the water can drain out.

In the rain or in a car wash you will get water in your exhaust which will cause corrosion if not tilted down.

If you decide to do something about it, find a good exhaust shop that will either rotate the muffler or cut and rotate the tips at the muffler seam with stainless rod.

You have a very nice car and you should know that opinions are like A holes and everyone on here will have a different one.

Don't let anyone sway you from the way you want to make your car, but if you ask what we think, do not be suprised at some of the answers.

Brad

More
23 Nov 2011 21:18 #7097 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Shopping for my first 928
Also - your Stereo can be replaced pretty easily. I looked into a Blaupunkt replacement and there are some, but for the priority was good sound and convenience so I bought an Alpine and use an iPod for the music (since the antennas reception can be crap sometimes, especially if you are rural like me). It looks grew too by slightly updating the interior. Just get a black face unit (not the glitzy fake stainless ones that blink all over the place.) from a reputable vendor and have some fun! If you do care about music you will have to replace the speakers (if stock they are horrible) front and back and possibly add a sub. But most of the time you will just want to hear the exhaust anyway,,,as much as I like music, I mostly just listen a stop lights or if caught in traffic. I have a thread on replacing the rear speakers, should be very similar between the 83 and 82.

Congrats,,,,definitely looks like it has been kept up and the interior is definitely good, my Dash is cracked in 4 places so I am covering it in leather eventually....what a pain! So you are in good shape I think!

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

• 19psi
More
23 Nov 2011 22:41 #7099 by 19psi
He put in a nice Kenwood unit which does have the ipod attachment so I'm happy about that. It is a very nice clean install and he mentioned picking this unit because the display matches the instruments and climate control colors above. He also has the power antenna wired in with it.

Speakers are original and I'm already looking for replacements. They sound ok but it could be 100X better. I'm guessing after 30 years the foam surrounds are gone. The factory Bose in another one of my vehicles made it about 10 years before the foam disintegrated.
A sub would be nice but I have no idea where to put it. I'm not willing to drill, cut or modify anything so that really limits me.

I've noticed some 928s have a storage area in the large hump between the rear seats. Anyone know if there is dead space in there on the earlier models?

Also is it possible to fit something larger than a 3½" speaker within the doors and 4" in the rear?

More
24 Nov 2011 11:13 #7101 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Shopping for my first 928
I agree with James... Get that spoiler off of there! :D

Beatiful car and congrats on the great find.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!