The most expensive turn signal light ever

More
10 Nov 2011 21:03 #6869 by dwarner928
So I bough a pair of bulbs cause my right rear signal was out. Unfortunately for me the the metal clip that makes contact with the back of the bulb was dangling due to a broken plastic anchor.

$2.75 for the bulbs. $200 to take off the bumper to get to the tail light assembly. Wow!

I now have a weekly appointment schedule with the shop that just says...drive to Universal Imports and open wallet.... $13,500 and climbing on a $6000 purchase. I am an idiot.

:confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2011 21:51 #6870 by srshaw3

So I bough a pair of bulbs cause my right rear signal was out. Unfortunately for me the the metal clip that makes contact with the back of the bulb was dangling due to a broken plastic anchor.

$2.75 for the bulbs. $200 to take off the bumper to get to the tail light assembly. Wow!

I now have a weekly appointment schedule with the shop that just says...drive to Universal Imports and open wallet.... $13,500 and climbing on a $6000 purchase. I am an idiot.

Or, you may just be aware that you own a car that few will ever enjoy....

You can save money by doing it yourself, but of course you are exchanging time.

I think after 4 years and am @$15K added to my purchase price of $10.5k I knew it had much deferred maintenance on my 90 GT and I would want to freshen everything over time, so I had my eyes open. I am pretty much done trying to use service shops for any diagnostics though. They can change parts out but diagnostic work is expensive and without assured results.

While I hope you are enjoying your ownership, owning a 928 is not for everyone. Then there are the addicts... I have 3 now but as I know of many who have many more, my sanity is assured. :D

More
11 Nov 2011 00:03 #6871 by 928mac
Wait and lets think about this for a bit and let others chime in.

More
11 Nov 2011 07:57 #6873 by denhamfly
Doug, sorry to hear about your pain! Sad to say it is a do it yourself car or call Wells Fargo and tell them to open up the vault. When I bought mine it was in New Orleans and it was a fixer upper. I live 60 mile from New Orleans and the tow trucked came and got me 20 miles out on my way home. Idiot is a hard word, let's just say we are crazy. I spent more on my ex-wife and I can't drive her to pick up other women! Hang in there it will get better. I am pulling my engine out after Thanksgiving. Stay Crazy my friend!

More
11 Nov 2011 08:42 #6875 by martinss
Just think - you could have a lease on a new car, give a down payment, and be paying $500-$1,000/month and at the end of the term of say 3 years have absolutely no asset to show for it. Likely little maintenance and all payments to depreciation.

On cars this old assume they have no significant depreciation and all monthly costs go for maintenance.

For me:
  1. There is a monthly cost to have any car - period
  2. That cost could be minimized by buying a transportation appliance to address basic needs for car #1
  3. Anything over that basic cost (spending more on car #1 or having >1 cars) is for enjoyment, status or whatever
  4. All cars over 1/person cannot be justified based on 'need'
  5. Much of my 928 enjoyment relates to restoring it and learning about tech from 20-30 years ago

More
11 Nov 2011 12:41 #6878 by denhamfly
You really have to love these cars, and then you have to ask yourself [IS THE JUICE WORTH THE SQUEEZE]!!!!!!!

More
11 Nov 2011 14:00 #6880 by Johnny V
I'm about to redo all my rear lights on my next day off. Just did all the fronts. It is a bit of a chore since they can only be reached from behind. I knew this car wouldn't be cheap to restore, but doing the labor yourself takes out like 80% of the cost, Id say.

Don't regret your purchase. These are such awesome cars and any and every compliment or stare you get will make you feel better ;)

More
11 Nov 2011 18:14 #6888 by 928mac

So is what you are saying is that it cost you $200 to get it fixed? but the shop is teasing you saying you can spend lots but your still in an old car?

If that is the case then they are jealous.
Lots of gear heads spend 25-50G on a 67 camaro and still drive in old technology.
I have spent $10G on mine in 2 years.
1/4 of that was maintenance, 1/4 stereo upgrade, 1/2 performance upgrades and tires :rolleyes: :D

this wheel was $500

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

needed more tools like this engine crane $300

aftermarket computer system $4500

stereo and sub $3000

You need to turn it into your car
Then it all starts to be justifiable

More
11 Nov 2011 19:59 #6893 by Johnny V

You need to turn it into your car
Then it all starts to be justifiable

Very well said.

More
11 Nov 2011 20:13 #6894 by mm928
Absolutely MAC. Make it yours, set a goal and work towards it. I have spent what I bought mine for one year ago and I am still 10-15k less than if I bought a new Mustang, a V6 even!

Driving it and making is nicer is the reward. With 928s you pay to play.....but I think it is usually within reason, considering what new cars cost ,,,,and you get a Super Car...albeit 25-30 years old....still fun.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
11 Nov 2011 22:15 #6895 by dwarner928
Thank you all for your words of encouragement! I really do love the car...and Roger Tyson and I will now be exchanging Christmas cards. I wish I had the skills to wrench myself...and the time... and place.
I'm acutally thinking of purchasing an 85 Euro so I'll have one for the shop and one for me. (They have to practice on something :))

More
12 Nov 2011 00:16 #6896 by 928mac

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! I really do love the car...and Roger Tyson and I will now be exchanging Christmas cards. I wish I had the skills to wrench myself...and the time... and place.
I'm acutally thinking of purchasing an 85 Euro so I'll have one for the shop and one for me. (They have to practice on something :))

Ha Ha Ha ROTFLMAO that it a good one.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!