Introduction

More
23 Nov 2011 19:18 #7094 by 19psi
Introduction was created by 19psi
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help in the previous thread over buying my new 928. Got it registered yesterday and I couldn't be happier. Stopped by the gas station this evening and wow did it turn heads! An older guy came up and couldn't stop complimenting it and its wheels.

Just joined the OC earlier today. :cool:

A bit about myself.
I'm 41 and live in NW Indiana. Some of the more interesting vehicles I've owned since I began driving:
Chevy Vega my very first used car (4 years)
Chevy Monza with factory 5.0 V8 (7 years) < I will own another one day
Corvair 500 highly modified (14 years)
Corvette Stingray (12 years) < Gone last week and good riddance

Geo Storm...I worked throughout High School and had some cash saved up to buy a new car after graduation. Wanted a Fiero but they were long discontinued at that point. While at a dealership I see a really cool black car drive through the lot...hatchback, narrow front and tall rounded rear. Yes, in my mind it resembled a 928! When I found out the price, that was the car for me. Ended up ordering one in black with 5 speed and all options. Picked it up June 23 1990. It turned 22 this month according to the build date.

Bikes that I currently own:
Honda CX500 Turbo (10 years) < My dream bike
Honda CX650 Turbo (9 years)
Suzuki Hayabusa

And in case any of you are wondering how well I'll take of Weissach #153?
This is the 22 year old ORIGINAL paint on my Storm (and sort of a photo of me) :)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2011 19:30 #7095 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Introduction
nice paint :)

theres many 928 owners that have bikes; myself and our Pres :)

More
18 Mar 2013 15:18 #13916 by skipper928
Replied by skipper928 on topic introduction
Hello. I am skipper, i just joined. I bought an 81 928 about a month ago. Joining seemed to be the next logical step.
Would anyone know where to get some tires,its an uncommon size now adays

More
18 Mar 2013 15:48 #13918 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic introduction
Welcome to the OC. I am sure you will find that joining will quickly become a worthwhile investment. :)

Oh, and I recommend Continental for the size 225/50/16. I can't recall the name of the exact tire, but they make an excellent all-season tire at a fair price that is popular among 928 owners.

More
18 Mar 2013 15:54 #13919 by dlbass93
Replied by dlbass93 on topic introduction
Welcome, Skipper!

I haven't been here long myself, but, I like it, and I know you will too.

2015 Red/Black Honda NC700X
2015 Brownstone Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71
2006 Black BMW F650gs
1998 Ascotgruen Metallic BMW 318i - LS Swap Project
1988 Grand Prix White Porsche 928 S4 - Almost There
1967 Marina Blue Chevrolet Camaro - Project
1957 White Chevrolet 4400 Flatbed - Project

More
18 Mar 2013 19:00 #13920 by skipper928
Thank you all for the welcome. My wheels are 15 inch.

More
18 Mar 2013 19:25 #13921 by Kiln_Red

Thank you all for the welcome. My wheels are 15 inch.

Sorry, Skipper. I assumed you had 16" wheels. Not sure on a recommendation for a good 15" tire.

More
18 Mar 2013 22:17 #13922 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic introduction
Those are the 15" phone dials that were seen mostly (though not exclusively) on the early Auto trans cars. I also have those on my '78 and will need to source some tires sooner rather than later as well.

I always shop TireRack.com first!

Oh, welcome to the club as well!!! So good to have you join our merry band of 928 fanatics! :D

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
19 Mar 2013 17:08 #13936 by skipper928
Thanks pcar928fan, i have had the thought of goin to a 16 inch. I read that most of the early at cars had 15, but mine is a 5 speed. Black on black.

More
19 Mar 2013 17:44 #13937 by pcar928fan
Yea, I thought all the 5spd cars had 16" but a couple of years ago came across a 19k mile '80 5spd with 15" wheels. Kind of surprised me. Unfortunately the car needed SERIOUS, SERIOUS work and they were crazy about what they thought it was worth!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
19 Mar 2013 18:06 #13938 by skipper928
Mine needs some work not to much. Tires,an ecm and slot of over due tlc. 77k on the clock its been sitting for about a year. Oil smells and looks good,holding coolant. Passager seat bottom leather shrank a bit, and dash leather is cracking by defrost vents. The rest of the inside is mint. A couple of small dents.
I have read that the 4.5 liter is a non interference engine, is this true.

More
19 Mar 2013 20:58 #13940 by Mike Frye
Replied by Mike Frye on topic introduction
Hey Skipper,

First of all, welcome to the club! You will of course be hounded for pics of your new baby. We love pics!!!

If you don't think it would negatively impact the value of the car in any way I would say you should go with 16" PDs. There are still a few tires available in that size. I use Continental Extreme Contact DWS on mine (from Tire Rack) and I really like them.

I have 16" phone dials on my car because I think the PDs are the best wheel for the 928.

The 4.5 liter US 928 is a non-interference engine, although some have said that it's possible with carbon buildup and some really bad luck to still bend valves on the piston.

I'll let those with more experience in the early models comment on that. I've got an '85 and I try to respond only to questions I personally know the answers to.

So welcome again, and please post some pics!!!

More
19 Mar 2013 21:18 #13942 by pcar928fan
Mike I think it would take a LOT of build up for a 4.5 to interfere, I think it is the 4.7's that are kind of close, not the 4.5's. I could be wrong (it has happened ONCE before, I think...LOL!)

As Mike said... PICS PLEASE! That way we can see how you improve your car over time!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
19 Mar 2013 21:48 #13943 by Kiln_Red
Practically all 16V 928s are non-interference. The euro S2 ('84-'86) is the oddball. Some of these cars are interference, some are not. The pistons changed sometime in '84. When the change occurred, it is said that the engines became non-interference again. So, in theory, only some '84 euro S2s are interference motors and the rest of the 16V 928s can be assumed to be non-interference.

Personally, I would just keep up the maintenance the same as an S3 if I had an S2. Better safe than sorry. But, Skipper, none of this applies to your car. Your engine is non-interference.

More
20 Mar 2013 09:20 #13947 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic introduction
Welcome Skipper!

I have an 83 16v. There is a lot of good things about the simplicity and ruggedness of the 16v, so as your first, a good thing to start with.
I think it would be a good upgrade to go to 16's, which is what I have. There is a lot more to choose from out there style -wise than the 15's and present a little more modern look. A lot of people are going to 17-18's and so you should be able to find some nice 16's around.

As far as tires, I went the the Michelin Pilot Sport S....not cheap but an awesome tire dry or wet and good wear. But what ever you decide, ensure you get a properly done alignment (just search and find the posts related to it). If you are only driving 3-5k a year you can afford nice tires because it will take a while to get to 40-60k. At least that is my reasoning for spending money... HA
I will say though that I have had Continentals before and I liked them as well, I also like BF Goodrich. Just find the right fitment. Porsches have torque and corner VERY well, so get something decent or you will likely just run them off.
Again we are very glad you joined early, this forum and organization is indeed a lifesaver if you own and love 928's!

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
20 Mar 2013 21:49 #13957 by pcar928fan
Skipper, a friend just sent me pics of a nice repainted set of 16" Phone Dials with NICE Michelin rubber on them... PM me if you would like contact info on those. Probably not "cheap" but they will be ready to bolt on and drive!!!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
21 Mar 2013 16:55 #13965 by skipper928
Thank you all for the welcome. I will get you guys some picks of my ride soon, i haven learned how to send pick via email so that i can post them. I got a used Chilton on ebay for it. Im not sure what im gonna too for tires yet but goin aftermarket on 16s will probably be what im looking at. You want bet the price on wheel and tire combo. Im looking for a passanger seat in black if any one know of one.

More
26 Mar 2013 21:09 #14054 by pcar928fan
Remember offset on a 928 is VERY finicky and difficult to find outside of Porsche wheels! So, check and double check that the wheels will actually fit a 928! Not sure you will find much use out of that Chilton book, but you never know. I think that book only covers the very early cars even at that, but the workshop manuals are pretty useless unless you are a REAL car guy and frankly it helps if you have some training from Porsche before opening the damn things. I have a set and looked through them and it might as well have been written in Greek!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!