What is it really worth

• SnowDaddy
  • SnowDaddy's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2011 10:34 #7136 by SnowDaddy
What is it really worth was created by SnowDaddy
Good Morning everyone, I have a 1978 Porsche 928 automatic, it has been well used, all though the true mileage cannot be authenticated since the odometer was broken when I bought it showing 35000+ miles, but who knows how long it had been broken.

I am not sure that the PO was entirely forthcoming with me, however I felt that the car had potential so I bought it. I paid $4260usd in 2007.

I am just curious as to what its market value is today, I have checked out various old car and collector car sites and the values I get are not consistent.

Sooooo, what better place to get an unbiased opinion on its true value from Porsche owners here.

Thanks,
Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2011 12:21 #7137 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic What is it really worth
Hey Don, its cool that you have an OB old body "hmm I'm an old body, ha ha
Anyway I think that we would need some pictures to have a better idea of what your great 78 is worth. its a bad time to try and sell if thats what you were thinking. There is a 82 here that has been reduced to $3000.
but you know it depends if someone is looking and willing to pay.

I think without pics its to hard to guess.

I paid 10 for mine, i have that or more into it and i may get 15 if lucky but thats in Alberta Canada, i may only get my 10 south of the border.

kind of depends on the area

Brad

More
26 Nov 2011 14:47 #7138 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic What is it really worth

Good Morning everyone, I have a 1978 Porsche 928 automatic, it has been well used, all though the true mileage cannot be authenticated since the odometer was broken when I bought it showing 35000+ miles, but who knows how long it had been broken.

I am not sure that the PO was entirely forthcoming with me, however I felt that the car had potential so I bought it. I paid $4260usd in 2007.

I am just curious as to what its market value is today, I have checked out various old car and collector car sites and the values I get are not consistent.

Sooooo, what better place to get an unbiased opinion on its true value from Porsche owners here.

Thanks,
Don

You definitely paid a premium price for it. But if it runs and drives well, you have an irreplaceable source of driving pleasure at any time you please. :D

More
26 Nov 2011 15:38 #7139 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic What is it really worth
it depends on condition and maintenance. Tell us, and show us, what you can about either and we can help.

Since it is true mileage unknown (TMU) and at least 35k it isn't really a collector car, but if it is really like *new*, then it could be worth quite a bit, but *only* to the right buyer, and they are few and far between.

More
26 Nov 2011 19:25 #7143 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic What is it really worth

it depends on condition and maintenance. Tell us, and show us, what you can about either and we can help.

Since it is true mileage unknown (TMU) and at least 35k it isn't really a collector car, but if it is really like *new*, then it could be worth quite a bit, but *only* to the right buyer, and they are few and far between.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. A mileage unknown car doesn't negatively impact every buyer/car the same. If the buyer is educated enough to recognize how the car was cared for by its PO(s), then that kind of thing means a whole lot less to them on cars of this age. However, as Stan indicated, the right buyers are harder to find than 928s themselves.

More
26 Nov 2011 20:02 #7145 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic What is it really worth
I agree with everyone else. In realestate it is location, location, location in 928's its condition, condition, condition!

There are S4 that car completely crapped out and worth NOTHING and there are OB's that are as pristine as the day they rolled off the showroom floor and are worth $50k+!

Color plays an important roll too, but condition is paramount!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
23 May 2017 00:11 #19743 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic What is it really worth
Tell me what they are worth and make me an offer. I already know what Rich VM thinks so if he is even here, I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. For those who are NOT looking to buy and then flip for a profit give me yours thoughts and or offers...

1995 GTS auto. 112k miles. Very good condition, actually my fastest n/a 928. Black on black with up to date maintenance. A/C not working due to a leaky compressor, otherwise it does work. Wrapped in green. The black paint under the green wrap is exceptional, so if you want to go back to black that is easy enough. A shark woofer is installed with a Blau BT 420 head unit. Over $40k spent on maintenance in the last 15 years or so. Timing belt has only 4K miles on it but it is 5 years old. The cam gears were replaced along with water pump and belt. Intake reseal and powder coat. #51 of 77 1995 GTS. Thinking of listing this at $50k.

1993 GTS auto. Look this car up under my profile. Canadian car. About 30k miles, but it was wrecked and rebuilt. It DOES NOT have a salvage title. It has a VCB supercharger installed and it is wicked fast. Also a new timing belt as of 3 years ago. A/C not working in this car either. The compressor shaft has a little bend or the pulley does...regardless my mechanic was not comfortable leaving the belt in place and charging the system. So a new compressor at the very least is needed. The paint under the blue wrap is black but it needs a complete repaint. The interior is very very nice on this car though the speakers for the rear qtr panels are missing so there are holes,there. I can remove the S/C if you prefer to have it in stock form. I still have the intake system except the intake tubes. Those are mia. Going to ask $37k for this amazing car.

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
23 May 2017 19:52 - 23 May 2017 19:53 #19744 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic What is it really worth
Hagerty's valuation tool for a '78 says: Current Values

#1 Concours $49,100
#2 Excellent $29,000
#3 Good $20,100
#4 Fair $8,900

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

Value Adjustments -20% for auto.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 19:53 by martinss.

Moderators: Rich928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!