Cost of Replacing Timing Belt and Water Pump

More
20 Jan 2012 18:35 #7847 by Sharko
I was wondering if anyone had a ball park of what I should expect for the replacement of my timing belt and water pump. I did a little research and saw anywhere between 700 and 1200 dollars was average but I'm not sure if thats correct. I live in NYC so it makes sense that I might pay a little more but I just got a quote for 2150. Does this sound like a reasonable price?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2012 20:20 #7848 by the flying scotsman
many, many factors to consider:

are you replacing all gears; 2 cam gears, oil pump, crank shaft?
tensioner; rebuild the OEM or replace with a Porkensioner?
you also need a good quality timing belt and waterpump.

To get at all this you have to remove the distributors, the ign. wires, the coolant hoses etc etc which all can be considered for replacement on our aging cars/

then theres labour if you cant do yourself:eek::eek::eek:

More
20 Jan 2012 22:14 #7849 by srshaw3

I was wondering if anyone had a ball park of what I should expect for the replacement of my timing belt and water pump. I did a little research and saw anywhere between 700 and 1200 dollars was average but I'm not sure if thats correct. I live in NYC so it makes sense that I might pay a little more but I just got a quote for 2150. Does this sound like a reasonable price?

I would think $700 is low, $1200 sounds about average. If you are willing to bring it to CT, you could call Automobile Associates in Canton to see what they would charge.

More
21 Jan 2012 00:44 #7850 by 928mac
Well I must really low ball then because,

I bought a regular belt for $35 i think.
cleaned everything and reassembled it.
My water pump is not leaking and looked good.

Following year when I pulled the engine the intake leaks had oil soaked everything and the tensioner pizzed me off.

So after the top-end refresh I bought a new Gates belt from Roger, got a PK-tensioner off someone for $300. rechecked everything and drove it all year still with the same water pump.

Now, if I see it leaking coolant from up there ILL not drive it till I replace it, and that will suck, but thats me.

I have never removed my pump (why-its a good one)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
21 Jan 2012 02:09 #7851 by srshaw3

I bought a regular belt for $35 i think.
cleaned everything and reassembled it.

If you can get Brad to do it for $35, even better!

More
21 Jan 2012 06:53 #7852 by the flying scotsman
so Brad.........did you recoat all gears or replace?

the water pumps tend to be quite good when they are good but some makes have had there issues and if the system has an issue that causes the belt to stretch or break then you have a very very expensive engine rebuild repair.

I replaced mine with age and mileage being the reasoning.

More
21 Jan 2012 13:09 #7854 by 928mac

so Brad.........did you recoat all gears or replace?

the water pumps tend to be quite good when they are good but some makes have had there issues and if the system has an issue that causes the belt to stretch or break then you have a very very expensive engine rebuild repair.

I replaced mine with age and mileage being the reasoning.

I have not replaced or recoated my gears yet.
I just noticed the re-coating post this year after I was done the refresh, but by the looks of it, its every man for him self at first.

Is there a solid replacement for the cam gears that has the correct tooth profile. Last I heard they were talking about $400! a gear.
I don't know where to send them to have them recoated, Malcolm.

I agree about if the pump were to seize it would be very expensive.
I have been able to check it the past 2 seasons as I have had the front off every winter at 5000 k

I see the replacement pumps are starting to fail now after 3 years.
I'm still not sure if I should buy a laslo pump or what.

More
21 Jan 2012 13:32 #7855 by srshaw3

I have not replaced or recoated my gears yet.
I just noticed the re-coating post this year after I was done the refresh, but by the looks of it, its every man for him self at first.

Is there a solid replacement for the cam gears that has the correct tooth profile. Last I heard they were talking about $400! a gear.
I don't know where to send them to have them recoated, Malcolm.

I agree about if the pump were to seize it would be very expensive.
I have been able to check it the past 2 seasons as I have had the front off every winter at 5000 k

I see the replacement pumps are starting to fail now after 3 years.
I'm still not sure if I should buy a laslo pump or what.

You can avoid the expensive engine repair if the pump seizes by using the EGDS pump developed by 928er Ed Standke: perfexmfg.com/product.htm

More
21 Jan 2012 13:38 #7856 by the flying scotsman
Carl is selling his cam gears for a discounted price, $320. I'm surpirsed theres no recoating facility near you?

Taking the front end apart every 5000kms is perhaps ok for some but others, myself included, prefer longer maintenance schedule hence the replaced WP.

BTW....the Porsche service interval for the belt is high in miles but not so much time...........60k miles (100k kms) or 5 years IIRC

doing the work yourself and replacing all gears, the belt and WP.....$1000 but I dont believe a good belt properly tensioned wears the gears every 5 years so perhaps every 2nd/3rd belt change for gears and WP which would be 10-15 years IMHO

More
21 Jan 2012 19:03 #7860 by 928mac

Carl is selling his cam gears for a discounted price, $320. I'm surpirsed theres no recoating facility near you?

Taking the front end apart every 5000kms is perhaps ok for some but others, myself included, prefer longer maintenance schedule hence the replaced WP.

BTW....the Porsche service interval for the belt is high in miles but not so much time...........60k miles (100k kms) or 5 years IIRC

doing the work yourself and replacing all gears, the belt and WP.....$1000 but I dont believe a good belt properly tensioned wears the gears every 5 years so perhaps every 2nd/3rd belt change for gears and WP which would be 10-15 years IMHO

I concur :D

Wasn't there some debate on the belt fit into the 928ms gears

More
21 Jan 2012 19:36 #7862 by the flying scotsman
There was much debate on Rennlist re the cam gears from 928MS but Ive had them in my hands compared to 90% of the folks rambling on that thread.........the gears look perfect and only time will tell if they last.

ask me in 15 years :)

some folks need a reality check and get out of the basement virtual worlds :rolleyes:

More
22 Jan 2012 01:09 #7863 by 928mac

There was much debate on Rennlist re the cam gears from 928MS but Ive had them in my hands compared to 90% of the folks rambling on that thread.........the gears look perfect and only time will tell if they last.

ask me in 15 years :)

some folks need a reality check and get out of the basement virtual worlds :rolleyes:

Thats good enough for me

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!