Working on the engine courtsey light for my 86.5 S

More
30 Jan 2012 20:04 #8004 by tedder
I would be nice to have this handy light bulb working in the engine compartment for my S. Where does the light wire go into? Does the light only work with the headlights on? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2012 20:51 #8006 by 928mac

I would be nice to have this handy light bulb working in the engine compartment for my S. Where does the light wire go into? Does the light only work with the headlights on? Thanks

Yes I think it is only a night light. ;)

More
31 Jan 2012 13:00 #8016 by he_mech_usmc

I have not had a bulb in yet on my 79 euro, I found that the wire goes to the hood switch on the pass. side of the engine bay, it had voltage to the socket when I plugged it in after putting the hood back on the car. I know my lights were off, doesn't mean someone hasn't planted gremlins in my car after 33 years of half-ass hack job electrical work.

You can be a mechanic or technician...The choice is in HOW you fix it, not THAT you fix it.

More
20 Feb 2012 14:55 #8266 by mm928
I think this may be a WAD (works as designed). The Porsche engineers in their effort to retain you as a customer, decided to not have you get run over by the side of the road because no one could see you.

See this thread
forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...ngine-bay-light.html

If you do not have your lights on the engine bay light does not come on, by design...cool huh? So I have never remembered to checked to see if mine does....I do not drive much at night in the Shark.

If you have other questions, at least you know how it is supposed to work.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
14 Mar 2012 07:46 #8468 by tedder

I followed the gray wire to the area near the wiper motor and a connector wasn't connected! Bingo, I know have engine bay light working when the parking lights are turned on.

More
14 Mar 2012 07:49 #8470 by denhamfly

I followed the gray wire to the area near the wiper motor and a connector wasn't connected! Bingo, I know have engine bay light working when the parking lights are turned on.

Go to the light!!!

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!