Fuel Pump Relay

More
20 Feb 2012 18:08 #8269 by HOF928
Fuel Pump Relay was created by HOF928
My 1986S randomly will not start, but when I change out the Fuel Pump Relay she'll kick over. I'll drive it 5-10 times and then again will not start. Changing out the Fuel Pump Relay seems to solve the starting problem, but I know it will continue to happen. Any suggestions on where to trouble shoot is greatly appreciated. Also, where is the Fuel Pump located?

-David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2012 18:34 #8270 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Fuel Pump Relay
David....the fuel pump is located at the rear of the car, passenger side.

You can normally here it buzzing away when the engine is running which sometime gets louder as the pump ages.

It is known to fail with the symptoms you describe.

More
20 Feb 2012 20:38 #8275 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Fuel Pump Relay

My 1986S randomly will not start, but when I change out the Fuel Pump Relay she'll kick over. I'll drive it 5-10 times and then again will not start. Changing out the Fuel Pump Relay seems to solve the starting problem, but I know it will continue to happen. Any suggestions on where to trouble shoot is greatly appreciated. Also, where is the Fuel Pump located?

-David

I agree with Malcolm but will add that you should check the relay for oxidation.
Dose it look corroded, at all, where the relay plugs in.
Maybe it would be best to disconnect the battery and remove those two top screws in the fuse panel so that you can look at the back of the panel.
If you don't find anything and have already tried a new relay, then you better do a search on how to test a fuel pump.

More
20 Feb 2012 20:45 #8276 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Fuel Pump Relay
Ive mentioned this a zillion times previous: the fuel pump relay is a type 53 which is super common on the newer 928 fuse/relay panel and they're cheap.

Buy a bunch (10?) replace all the ancient ones and have several new left over as spares then, and I know this step hurts, throw the old ones away:p

More
20 Feb 2012 22:19 #8280 by HOF928
Replied by HOF928 on topic Fuel Pump Relay
Thanks Malcolm and Brad! I have pulled the panel and everything seems in order. My guess is also a Bad Fuel Pump. In the mean time, I will load up on a few inexpensive 53 Relays and start shopping for a Replacement Fuel Pump. There seems to be quite a few options: SL, Airtex, Delphi, Bosch... I'll do a bit of research, but your expertise is appreciated.

More
21 Feb 2012 07:28 #8281 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Fuel Pump Relay
Here are one of the few threads when I did a search.

forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/showthread.ph...hlight=fuel+pressure

More
08 Mar 2012 09:54 #8431 by HOF928
Replied by HOF928 on topic Fuel Pump Relay
The above starting issues on my 1986 were solved by changing out the bad Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter. No more starting problems! Thanks for the help.
AutoParts Warehouse: Bosch Fuel Pump W0133-1813192 and Mahle Fuel Filter MAHKL21. Replacements were made for around $300.

More
08 Mar 2012 20:02 #8435 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Fuel Pump Relay
Excellent! That is a cheap 928 fix right there!!!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!