tester for output wire CE panel

More
29 Feb 2012 23:13 #8367 by Proton_Ice
After a battery that have drain, I researched the problem.
After going through the very good document "How to Check Your Battery Draw" ( www.aa1car.com/library/battery_runs_down.htm )
That gives me the idea to design a tester that could quickly give me the values in volts and amperes of each wire of each socket, one socket at the time at the CE panel. This will permit to easily test each of the harness in the future.

Disconnecting the housing plug A, B, C, D .... W, one by one on the central electrical system (CE PANEL), plug the tester between CE panel and Harness

I also wanted to use my digital tester (Volt-Amp) in order not to use these small screen voltmeter and amp meter so the accuracy is questionable and unreliable found in electronics stores at cheap price.

So I designed a circuit that can meet this need, and who could help my old bone to stay standup position and not to be all the time on the floor in the car.
To minimize errors, I used the nomenclature of electrical schematics Porsche used for the housing in the CE panel (11-12-13-14-15-21-22-23-24-25).

So how does it works ?
We can see 10 entree wire at a end and 10 exit wire at the other end.
10 wire plug in the CE panel and the 10 other in the housing that came in the CE panel so we are between a connector (A,B,C,D,…W) of the CE panel and Harness.
What do we see on the board ?
- 2 hole to connect the digital amp (on the right).
- 2 hole to connect the digital Volt tester (on left)
- A hole to connect to the ground (for voltage – potential difference)
- 10 switch :3 positions
o Up – by pass so the wire work normally (transparent)
o Middle – the circuit is cut nothing coming from Ce panel to the harness
o Down – we analyze this wire so we can see the amperage and voltage with the 2 tester if plug !
- Upside amp meter a wire to plug in one of the 10 white hole.

To be sure that we do not mix circuit (damage) and or made bad reading, we can test only one wire at the time and put the bananas connector into the good hole corresponding to the good switch. This system is not idiot proof that’s why it is a prototype, I will either put relays or a selector 10 positions but this prototype if bad connect can cause damage !

Here is the wiring diagram drawn :

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here are photos of the installation:
1 - Build the 2 wiring harness :

2 - Found a plastic support, this one for the prototype will be good

3 – Materials, switch, plug and support for harness

4 – make the circuit as the electric plan with the components

Look from the front :

When the switch is up courant pass directly as if there ‘s no tester
To work normally, 9 switch need to be up and 1 need to be down to read value.
If you want to read value on the wire 12, you need to down the second switch and put the wire just upside the amp meter in the second white hole (row of 10 white hole) .
In this prototype, if you don’t want volt meter you can don’t use one but you need amp meter because the circuit is cut if you don’t have one … and this was design to take this value !
The white hole alone is a mistake and is not use.
The ground must be plug to use volt meter (wire just upside volt meter).

In the futur version, the system will be idiot proof with a selector to replace the 10 white holes manualy plug with possible human error.
A case to put it ... actually there is no back
Add connector and socket because actually i need to plug one by one each wire (10 by socket)

finally forgive me for my English who is not my first language

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!