Front wheel bearing replacement

More
03 Mar 2012 18:00 #8399 by srshaw3
I decided to replace my front wheel bearings, after one needed adjustment, figuring there was wear, and for the money, and value, I would rather replace them.

I followed the tech tip at members.rennlist.org/pirtle/zsusp_front_wheel_bearing.txt

But it seems I do have the symptom described in step #6 "bearing drag". Should I completely remove that hub and re-install?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2012 20:03 #8400 by 928mac
Here is what you do.
Turn the hb as you are tightening it and tighten it really tight.
You will feel lots of drag.
Now as you loosen the nut rotate the hub clock ways.
at one point you will fell the nut have zero drag and the hub will be free turning.
Tighten the nut a 1/4 turn and see if you can turn the nut anymore with your fingers. if you cant it is tight enough and you just need to line the keyway to the closest hole tighter/or looser.

What you want to end up with is zero preload But on a new bearing you can go a hair tighter.

The trick is to really crank it tight with a 18 inch ratchet while turning the hub to seat the bearings and seal, and then back it off while you rotate and FEEL the drag for the exact spot it gets loose.

Thats the spot.

I hope this helps.

Brad

More
03 Mar 2012 20:28 #8401 by srshaw3

Here is what you do.
Turn the hb as you are tightening it and tighten it really tight.
You will feel lots of drag.
Now as you loosen the nut rotate the hub clock ways.
at one point you will fell the nut have zero drag and the hub will be free turning.
Tighten the nut a 1/4 turn and see if you can turn the nut anymore with your fingers. if you cant it is tight enough and you just need to line the keyway to the closest hole tighter/or looser.

What you want to end up with is zero preload But on a new bearing you can go a hair tighter.

The trick is to really crank it tight with a 18 inch ratchet while turning the hub to seat the bearings and seal, and then back it off while you rotate and FEEL the drag for the exact spot it gets loose.

Thats the spot.

I hope this helps.

Brad

Yes Brad, good information. fyi, the 928s do not have a "nut" but rather a locking collar with an allen bolt to secure it, so the adjustments is essentially infinite options. (no keyway or cotter pin, etc.)

More
03 Mar 2012 21:41 #8402 by the flying scotsman
Stan.......I'd re-check your work for sure.

Brad....the 928 set up is best described as a threaded collar which is also thread to accept a bolt, see attached:

More
03 Mar 2012 23:20 #8403 by 928mac
Thanks for correcting this guys.
That is the same as the Volkswagen rabbit but on the rear.

I use to use a large allen wrench to spin those tight and then back it off.
you can use a rubber mallet to tap the hub, when tight, to seat it.

Then adjust it as you were.

Brad

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!