Timing belt tensioner question

More
01 Apr 2012 07:48 #8722 by ctepley
83 928 S 110000 miles and I am replacing my water pump and timing belt. Do I replace my belt tensioner or do I rebuild it. If I rebuild it what parts do I need. want to make sure I do it right. thanks

Teps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2012 10:14 #8723 by 928mac
Hey Tep, good to here you are tackling your car.
Are you going to use dwaynes step by step?

to answer your question.

Most, or at least the fad is to replace the stock tensioner with a PK tensioner.

here is a good read
forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...?highlight=tensioner

I rebuilt mine and replaced the belt and then 1 year later I had to replace the belt again due to oil contamination so I installed a PKtentioner.

It is your choice

here are my pictures of it on my engine

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
01 Apr 2012 18:41 #8734 by ctepley
thanks for the help. I am going to use the step by step. Another dumb question. I see tensioners with and without air pump. Is this for different years or is this an option for all cars. thanks

More
01 Apr 2012 22:54 #8741 by 928mac

thanks for the help. I am going to use the step by step. Another dumb question. I see tensioners with and without air pump. Is this for different years or is this an option for all cars. thanks

I think it is if you remove the pump.

More
02 Apr 2012 08:05 #8742 by the flying scotsman
The bracket for the tensioner can be ordered with or without the air pump provision given that the air pump is no longer fitted to the 928 and not required for the car to pass emmision testing.

This would be when fitting the Porkensioner. If you decide to stay with the OEM tensioner the air pump can still be deleted if desired and retain the OEM bracket.

The issues with the OEM tensioner are well documented, expensive and despite best efforts do not function as the more modern Porkensioner.......... also the Porkensioner doesnt leak oil :)

More
02 Apr 2012 08:59 #8745 by martinss

... the air pump is no longer fitted to the 928 and not required for the car to pass emmision testing....

Malcolm: Not to hijack this thread, but when you say the air-pump is not required is that because:
  1. A well tuned car can still meet original standards without it?
  2. In your jurisdiction standards are lower or non-existent for this age of car?
  3. With a newer type of cat the pump is not required?
Thanks

More
02 Apr 2012 09:13 #8746 by the flying scotsman

Malcolm: Not to hijack this thread, but when you say the air-pump is not required is that because:
  1. A well tuned car can still meet original standards without it?
  2. In your jurisdiction standards are lower or non-existent for this age of car?
  3. With a newer type of cat the pump is not required?
Thanks

hi Martin:

1) yes, especially if the car is fitted with modern cats
2) I live in Western Canada......no emisions test required
3) correct, see #1

I run my exhaust system with an X pipe and deleted the cats, the air pump and all the plumbing associated with.

More
29 Apr 2012 11:09 #9031 by smtcapecod
Of course, YMMV there are still many jurisdictions where the air pump is still 'required', because there is a blanket prohibition on removing any factory emissions equipment.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!