new belly pan

More
27 Jul 2010 19:14 #507 by 87 Shark
new belly pan was created by 87 Shark
I bought my car in January and ii did not have the belly pan . I now know how important it is after reading several posts in various forums. I have ordered a new alumnum pan. I know about the ductsto divert air to cool the motor mounts. I'll cross that bridge when the new pan arrives.
My question is that it appears that the car came with 2 belly pans: afront and a rear pan. Is the new pan from 928 motorsports or 928 intl. just the front pan or both pans incorporated into one? If it is just the front pan do they make an al. rear pan?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2010 19:56 #508 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic new belly pan
I suspect it is just the front pan, as it is the one more commonly damaged or lost. If you ask them, you can let us know :)

I guess I should put the pans back on my GT then, huh?

More
27 Jul 2010 20:19 #509 by S4Phil
Replied by S4Phil on topic new belly pan
If it's the ~$300-350 version, it's just the front/engine pan. I just got the one from 928 Spec last week. It has holes to allow the engine belly pan to connect to the 'rear' (more like middle) belly pan.

More
27 Jul 2010 20:45 #510 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic new belly pan
I've been driving around here(home) without the belly pan but have read about the potential hazards of driving long distances without the pan installed. Will have to do without the back one for now. Planned trip to Boston shark party in Sept. is to far to drive without the pan. I will call and ask once the pan is delivered.

More
27 Jul 2010 20:49 #511 by 87 Shark
928 racer if you don't want it I'm sure I can find a home for it.

More
27 Jul 2010 20:57 #514 by srshaw3

928 racer if you don't want it I'm sure I can find a home for it.

I definitely want them, thanks for the offer though :D

They came off because of the oil leak, that seem to come up after I had the dual disk clutch upgrade done... :mad:

The oil leak is resolved now though, had the rear main seal replace, and replaced the oil soaked clutch parts too.

I have been tempted to ugrade to the x-pipe, but going to high performance cats is costly. Mass. has been picky about inspections in the past, but it is getting older....

I just have been too lazy to put them back on, figuring as soon as I do there will be a reason to take them off. My driving is just around town for the most part.

More
27 Jul 2010 21:07 #515 by 87 Shark
My 87 does not require emission testing due to the age of the car. I'm still working on my must do list . Rmb and high flow cats are on my nice to have list(at the top).

More
27 Jul 2010 21:22 #516 by srshaw3
I believe that is where I am now too. Mass. changed to testing via OBDII interface, and since the 928 doesn't have one.... Of course I need to review their visual inspection requirements as well, as I really want to install an SC sooner rather than later too.

More
27 Jul 2010 21:29 #518 by 87 Shark
Ontario has some strange rules.In larger pop. areas,e-test are mandatory every 2 years along with a visual inspection. If any thing looks out of place you fail. In small pop. areas this does not apply. When we modify we keep the old parts to re-test. Governments can be a real pain!

More
27 Jul 2010 21:41 #521 by srshaw3
Sounds like California. I think their emissions vary within the state. I do know there are those who r&r their SC units before/after inspections, but I don't see me doing that!

More
27 Jul 2010 21:47 #522 by srshaw3
Maybe I have nothing to worry about... www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/about_whywhat.html

More
28 Jul 2010 01:21 #523 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic new belly pan
My feeling about the belly pan is that it is more of an inconvenience than anything. It's supposedly been proven that a 928 will run cooler with it than without out. If there is any truth to that theory then it sure isn't significant enough to be reflected on the gauge. Just my two cents.

More
28 Jul 2010 09:45 #525 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic new belly pan
I have never seen a belly pan as my 89 never had one when I got it.
Dose it need one?

The only thing that I saw in this thread that caught my eye was that the pan keeps the engine mounts cool.???
I changed my mounts to the 928MS mount so they are not fluid filled, so I wonder if it is a issue?
I also changed the alternator to the 200 amp which dose not use the cooling duct.
I removed my cats and just run straight pipes so maybe this will create less heat in the floor as well?

What do you guys think?

Brad

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
28 Jul 2010 09:53 #526 by N2O-928
Replied by N2O-928 on topic new belly pan
We do not have an inspection here in MI.
I never ran a belly pan as car came w/o one, however I just picked up a used front pan (different one from the 87 up). If looking to re-install one check for all the clips and brackets I see many missing on car I have worked on.

Dave

More
28 Jul 2010 15:53 #528 by 87 Shark
Cooling is not my main concern. Protecting my alternator and ac compressor not to mention the belt from road debris and small animals( lots on the move here) is why I ordered the pan .400$ is cheaper than spoiling a weeks vacation.There is alot of nothing between here and anywhere I want to visit. The car's only been on the road for 2 months and I'm still learning.

More
28 Jul 2010 18:05 #529 by srshaw3
One failure seen too often is when the car is lowered and on a big bump impact, the air conditioner will break off the mounting ears from the block. :eek:

I presume you understand an aluminum belly pan won't prevent such an issue. I expect it will do wonders in prevention of cooking small animals on the exhaust though :D

More
28 Jul 2010 18:11 #530 by 928mac
yum, roast possum :p

I worry about smacking my new $700 dollar alternator which hangs lower then the original

More
28 Jul 2010 18:21 #531 by srshaw3

yum, roast possum :p

I worry about smacking my new $700 dollar alternator which hangs lower then the original

ugh, that is low. Make sure you have your ride height up high.

I surfed a dead deer once on the way out for a weeks trip in my lowered M3. It took a few days for my wife to query about the smell. I was trying to get a hunk of meat off the exhaust in a self serve car wash.

More
28 Jul 2010 18:27 #532 by 928mac
ya thats that new 200 amp from MS and I had to mod the bracket to get it to fit.

Original belt

More
28 Jul 2010 18:31 #533 by srshaw3
Did you let Carl know that it didn't fit right? Someone with less skill than you might struggle with it. I would also wonder if he has any comments on how low it hangs.

More
28 Jul 2010 18:42 #534 by 928mac

Did you let Carl know that it didn't fit right? Someone with less skill than you might struggle with it. I would also wonder if he has any comments on how low it hangs.

No I didn't, I thought that it was to use the original brackets but I couldn't make it work.

More
28 Jul 2010 19:34 #535 by 87 Shark
To low for my ride height. I would loose the whole unit trying to get into the garage. Does the alt. sit lower than the front spoiler?

More
28 Jul 2010 19:53 #536 by N2O-928
Yeah that is low, it looks to be as low as the Front Brake Air deflectors, and they will rub going over speed bump strips.

How could it be so low when Carl mostly sells racing stuff and track cars are not set up high ?

Also I don't see how my stock pan or any would work w/ that Alt.

Dave

Attached files [img]media/attachments/565=56-Pan Front_jpg.jpg[/img]

More
28 Jul 2010 20:06 #537 by 87 Shark
My new pan is comming from 928MS. I just want it to stop the local road kill from ending up as a stew on the undercariage. It should also stop any other debris from going where it does not belong.
How did you mount the new alt.?

More
29 Jul 2010 00:28 #538 by 928mac
Where the old Alt. bolts to the engine, 2 flat bars about 4" long bolt to each side and then to the new Alt. making it lower. The hole for the original bottom adjustment bolt is only 5/16 and not the 10 mm like the original so I used the air pump adjustment bolt which is longer but I cut it to length. (I have removed the air pump)
The Alt. swings back and forth on the flat bar bracket, so it swings up but it hits the PS hoses that come out of the pump restricting the swing upwards. I will look into it and mod it more later but needed it to work for my holiday trip.
As you can see in the picture I removed the air dam for city driving, curbs ex-cetera

More
29 Jul 2010 04:13 #540 by srshaw3

No I didn't, I thought that it was to use the original brackets but I couldn't make it work.

I emailed Carl, and suggested he might want to review this forum topic.

More
29 Jul 2010 09:10 #547 by Carl Fausett
Replied by Carl Fausett on topic new belly pan
That install looks unusually low and I wonder why.

We have photos of a correct installation here:
ftp://12.234.229.133/installpdf/alternator%20installation.pdf

...and you can see the alternator is above the oil pan.

(If your browser does not automatically open the alternator installation instructions, go here and click on "High Output Alternator Installation" www.928motorsports.com/install.html

You are right to be concerned about hitting the alternator on the ground. I would not worry about the alternator, but rather the engine. I have written extensively about engine damage from panning the alternator or the air conditioning compressor on the ground. It often breaks the mounting ears off the block and ruins the engine!

A thorough explanation and the cure for this condition is here:
www.928motorsports.com/parts/chinplate.php

Attached files [img]media/attachments/579=57-install1.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/579=58-install2.jpg[/img]

Carl Fausett
Phone: 920-485-0928
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
29 Jul 2010 17:24 #552 by 928mac
I took some pictures from the front (close up) and it dose not look as bad.

Carl I should apologies because when I look closer it is possible the belt was not on during that first picture.
I posted new pictures

Let me be clear that I am a new 928 owner and am still learning what is normal.

As the pictures show, my install is the same as the 928 MS except for they used a bolt on the belt tensioner and I used the same style as what came off except I used the smaller bolt tensioner with nut that had been used on the air pump bracket.

I had to ad an extra washer for alignment to move the ALT. forward.

The thing that bothered me the most was that the original bottom brackets, sliding adjustment tensioner bolt did not work. If I had not discarded the air pump I would not have had this piece to adapt over.

I could have easily rethreaded the ALT., and due to my newness considered this a design that would fit more then one application, so I used what was on hand.

If I had more time (ILL fix this later) I would also have reshaped the original slotted bracket with an ark so that when tightening, it would follow the natural pivot of the ALT. (can't believe Porsche did not do this)

More
29 Jul 2010 17:25 #553 by 928mac

More
29 Jul 2010 17:39 #554 by 928mac
I am sorry that you were all deceived by the error of my first picture.

When I took new pictures to compare to the 928 MotorSport instructions, I realized that it was not as low as I originally thought.
I think I finished that install around 2 one morning.

I might add that I am extremely happy with the 200 amp Alternator and with very little mechanical knowledge, easy to hang and it is worth the time and money.

More
29 Jul 2010 17:40 #555 by 928mac
Dam, another oil leak :D

More
29 Jul 2010 17:58 #556 by N2O-928
Now that looks much better now that the belt is on, that alt is not to low i those pic's, I could live w/that :)

Thanks for posting Carl and thanks for clearing the install Pic's up too.

Dave

Edit: the oil leak is because your going to install the belly pan.. :p

More
29 Jul 2010 18:09 #557 by 87 Shark
That 200 amp alt. is now on my wish list. There is a visible drop on my volt meter when the lights are on as well as the interior fan. I can see when the cooling fans cycle on and off. Minor concern now but will keep an eye on it.
Brad the second set of pictures are much better than the first.

More
29 Jul 2010 18:14 #558 by 87 Shark
Thanks for the signature idea KilnRed.

More
31 Jul 2010 22:23 #577 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic new belly pan

Thanks for the signature idea KilnRed.

You're the one to thank for the excellent quotation, my friend.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!