Sticky Choke

More
08 Jul 2012 14:22 #9699 by geojerry
Sticky Choke was created by geojerry
Noticed when the car engine is cold and I start up and drive right away,
The elect choke seems to stick till the engine is warmed up. When I pressed the accelerator while driving, engine seemed to hesitate with no increase in
Power till I pumped the pedal abut. Idle dropped low when waiting at a light.
Reved it up in neutral than seemed to be ok when dropped in drive. No more occurrence after that. Is this normal for an older engine with 144k miles ?

Could spray the engine choke area with a cleaner and add some Lucas ethanol fuel conditioner to the gas tank. What you all think ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2012 17:31 #9704 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Sticky Choke
Hi Jerry, a choke is for a carberated car, these are fuel injected.
I think you have a cold start injector on your car but I can not remember what year your car is, thats why I tell everyone to put their car in their signature.

More
08 Jul 2012 18:52 #9706 by geojerry
Replied by geojerry on topic Sticky Choke
1991 928 gs ( 4 speed auto )

More
08 Jul 2012 19:08 #9707 by 928mac

1991 928 gs ( 4 speed auto )

I went back and looked at the original post but you beat me. Ok the 91 dose not have a warm up injector, I thought it was a 87. You may have a (mass air flow) MAF issue.
I am not sure but I have heard that you can unplug it and see if it idles any better.

More
08 Jul 2012 19:32 #9708 by geojerry
Replied by geojerry on topic Sticky Choke
Can the throttle valve with its spring be sprayed with an aerosol cleaner in the engine bay. If yes, what spray is recommended ?

Thanks,
Jerry

More
09 Jul 2012 10:33 #9715 by 928mac

Can the throttle valve with its spring be sprayed with an aerosol cleaner in the engine bay. If yes, what spray is recommended ?

Thanks,
Jerry

Hello Jerry,
I use a cleaner first like a carb or brake cleaner trying not to spray it onto any plastic sensors and only spray on the spring and shaft.
Then I would use WD-40 as a lubricant.
The problem with lubricants is that they attract dust and dirt so once it is moving free, I spray it clean again with the brake or carb cleaner.

Another thought is that the 2 temp sensors at the front of the engine.
1 controls the temp gauge and the other the warm up fuel mixture.
turn the key on and remove the connector from 1 of them (say passenger side) check the temp gauge to see if it went to full hot and droped.
if not try the drivers side temp connector.

when you discover which one is for the temp gauge, put it back on because it is the other one you want to test with.
Remove the other 1 and start it to see if there is a change.
here is the catch, if it was working, the car may flood, if it wasn't working then no change, if it is out of range it may still flood but be the problem.

I do not have the specs infront of me as I am at work but you can test it with a multi meter and how would be in the service manual.
Maybe someone else will pipe up on how.

Brad
Good luck

More
09 Jul 2012 11:56 #9717 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Sticky Choke
A common cause of the behavior you describe is a vacuum leak. If you have not checked the vacuum lines and they have not been replaced, you almost certainly have a leak since they all do that with age. Such leaks will affect drivability, but it may not be the root or single cause of your problems. However, you may have a number of issues - need new plugs, new ignition cables, new vacuum lines, clean MAF, clean injectors, etc. These cars, and even V8s in general, seem to be able to run despite many issues

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!