Timing Belt and water pump

More
06 Aug 2010 14:34 #622 by millerlarrym47
I am a new owner of a 1984 - 928S. My first Porsche. The odometer stopped at 122,000 and the guy I bought the car from said it had about 140,000 miles. At my first local PCA meeting they told me that I needed to change my timing belt (about every 70,000 miles) and while I was doing that maybe my water pump at the same time. One guy said it should cost around $1600.00.
The Porsche dealer told me $4800.00 and I am in sticker shock. I am looking for advise, What should it cost and if $4800.00 is correct, how hard is this to do my self?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2010 23:41 #623 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Timing Belt and water pump
first off ILL give you the link to the maintenance page.

www.928oc.org/tip/tips.htm

It is not a job for the light at heart.

There is more then one style of engine so put your car year and model in your signature so that people can tell what type of car you have.

Did you read the other post in this thread about timing belt cost?

forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81

This is what it looked like on my car

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
07 Aug 2010 01:04 #624 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Timing Belt and water pump
I vote for you to do it yourself! The belt will run you about a $100. The water pump, about $300. Some recommend changing the belt tensioner when doing the work. I probably would with the later 32V engine, but I don't do it as regular maintenance on my '84. 16 valves = non interference. Other than that, you will need a flywheel lock and the Jay Kempf tension tool. Consider both of which an investment. You'll need them again. I also advise following all of the procedures outlined in the WSM when performing the work.

More
07 Aug 2010 12:42 #625 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Timing Belt and water pump
we will walk you through it step by step but you will need and should have a good tool box full of tools to own this type of car. it is way to expensive to pay someone to do it.

More
07 Aug 2010 13:46 #626 by S4Phil
Replied by S4Phil on topic Timing Belt and water pump
$1,600 is certainly in the ballpark given no other surprises (stuff breaking when they dissassemble, etc) and if the tensioner, rollers are in good shape. I just bought an '87 and had quotes all over the map, but ended up below the above number because the water pump wasn't replaced (it was relatively new/low miles on it) and the previous owner replaced tensioners, rollers 25,000 miles ago (had to replace the belt due to age, not necessarily because of high miles/use).
Not sure if I would tackle the job myself, but if I did, I know there are a great deal of knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.

More
10 Aug 2010 12:59 #645 by N2O-928
Replied by N2O-928 on topic Timing Belt and water pump
Yep, please do it yourself and don't pay someone else to learn on YOUR car!:rolleyes:

Also about 50,000 is the most i would push one, it is rare to see one make 70,000 w/o something breaking and causing more damage and requiring a tow. :eek:

Actualy you don't need that many tools to do an '84 it is a lot simpler than a 32 valve.

Where do you live? We may have other 928 OC members in your area that may wnat to lend a hand or even just guide you and may even have some of the special tools.

The belt sells for $28. bucks from one of the Big Three 928 vendors, and also rebuilding the Tensioner is cheep, replace all rhe rollers and guides.

I would highly recomend replacing an much as you can afford While You Are in There (WYAIT). It is cheeper as most is the labor getting it apart.

I have done several in the past few years and it is not hard to do, just take your time and follow the directions from others who have been there.

Oh, and $1,600 is about right for a non-dealer shop work, don't go the dealer route.

Dave

More
10 Aug 2010 13:17 #646 by N2O-928
Replied by N2O-928 on topic Timing Belt and water pump

first off ILL give you the link to the maintenance page.

www.928oc.org/tip/tips.htm

It is not a job for the light at heart.

There is more then one style of engine so put your car year and model in your signature so that people can tell what type of car you have.

Did you read the other post in this thread about timing belt cost?

forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81

This is what it looked like on my car

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Yes but his will most likely look like this.. this s an 85 Euro that had a WP failure and the belt broke and bent a few valves.

Attached files [img]media/attachments/681=78-broke belt_4865.jpg[/img]

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!