FPRs and FPDs

More
18 Mar 2013 10:01 #13915 by Kiln_Red
FPRs and FPDs was created by Kiln_Red
I came across an unusual failure of a Bosch fuel pressure regulator on a 928 this weekend. The car was running way rich, so I searched out all electrical possibilities first. Everything checked out fine, including the grounds. This left me scratching my head until I recalled this same car had previously taken longer than usual to start after a cool down. I also recalled hearing fuel being returned to the tank at a faster than usual rate. This left me curious as to the condition of the regulator and dampners. I pulled off the regulator and sucked on the vac port as hard as I could. Sure enough, the diaphragm wouldn't move. I put the regulator into a vise and inserted a screw driver through fuel return port. It took extreme pressure to move the diaphragm. Clearly, the diaphragm had migrated from where it was positioned the last time I had driven the car as I believe it was stuck open which was probably resulting in a lean condition at all but idle. This time it was very obviously stuck closed.

I reinstalled a known good regulator and the car was immediately restored to proper working order. We have all heard of regulators that fail by way of ruptured diaphragms, but I don't see many reports of this type of failure where the diaphragm simply becomes stuck. Just figured I'd pass this along. I know I will be including new FPDs and a new FPR on my next parts order.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2013 22:19 #13923 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic FPRs and FPDs
Good to know Austin! Thanks for sharing!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
21 Mar 2013 20:51 #13970 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic FPRs and FPDs
Yes - good tip!

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
23 Mar 2013 00:19 #13980 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic FPRs and FPDs
I removed my dampeners and only use this adjustable regulator

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!