Need help on a spare tire question

• GlennS
  • GlennS's Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Sep 2010 17:56 #875 by GlennS
Need help on a spare tire question was created by GlennS
I own a 1980 928 5 speed. When I bought the car it had custom brembo brakes and custom rims, and no spare. Driving around with no spare makes feel uncomfortable, of course that doesn’t stop me from driving the car. I know that some late model Porsches don’t have a spare, they come with a can of stop leak (goop) and an air compressor. I’ve been trying to figure what I should do about this. I could probably find a used original spare but I’m not sure it would fit my car any more. The brakes are large and my wheels have an unusual air valve, it is a 90 degree valve so it stays close to the rim and out of the way of the brake calipers as they rotate. I don’t know if the valve on the original spare would interfere with the brake rotors and I would hate to buy an original spare only to find that it doesn’t fit my car, which is the reason for this post.

As for using the inflatable goop and an air compressor, I’ve read that once you use these to inflate your tire most shops won’t want to fix the tire because of all the goop inside of the tire which would mean tossing two otherwise good tires and buying new ones. If you buy good quality tires as most of us do then that’s one heck of a cost for resolving a flat tire. Is the air valve on the original spare on the outside of the rim so that it doesn’t matter what size your brake calipers are? Does any one have a good suggestion for me?

Glenn Simpson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GlennS
More
07 Sep 2010 18:25 #876 by GlennS
Replied by GlennS on topic Need help on a spare tire question
I own a 1980 928 5 speed. When I bought the car it had custom brembo brakes and custom rims, and no spare. Driving around with no spare makes feel uncomfortable, of course that doesn’t stop me from driving the car. I know that some late model Porsches don’t have a spare, they come with a can of stop leak (goop) and an air compressor. I’ve been trying to figure what I should do about this. I could probably find a used original spare but I’m not sure it would fit my car any more. The brakes are large and my wheels have an unusual air valve, it is a 90 degree valve so it stays close to the rim and out of the way of the brake calipers as they rotate. I don’t know if the valve on the original spare would interfere with the brake rotors and I would hate to buy an original spare only to find that it doesn’t fit my car, which is the reason for this post.

As for using the inflatable goop and an air compressor, I’ve read that once you use these to inflate your tire most shops won’t want to fix the tire because of all the goop inside of the tire which would mean tossing two otherwise good tires and buying new ones. If you buy good quality tires as most of us do then that’s one heck of a cost for resolving a flat tire. Is the air valve on the original spare on the outside of the rim so that it doesn’t matter what size your brake calipers are? Does any one have a good suggestion for me?

Glenn Simpson

More
07 Sep 2010 19:27 #879 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Need help on a spare tire question
Your air valve should be on the outside of the wheel, so never in danger of contacting the brake caliper...

Possibly you have S4/GT calipers on the car, and in that case an S4 spare tire would fit. I don't think you would have problems with an S4/GT spare tire fitting anyways unless they are truly custom brake calipers.

A photo might help one of us better understand, and perhaps some measurements of wheel back spacing.

• GlennS
More
08 Sep 2010 12:49 #893 by GlennS
Stan,

Thanks. I'm attaching a couple of photos with the tire on the car. If it will help I'll take the tire off to get a better view of the brakes. The fourth shinny picture shows the tip of the valve stem, it is nearly flush with the wheel.

Attached files [img]media/attachments/928=88-brake.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/928=89-caliper.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/928=90-caliper2.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/928=91-valve.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/928=92-wheel.jpg[/img]

Glenn Simpson

More
08 Sep 2010 12:58 #894 by srshaw3
Looks like a standard S4 caliper, so an S4 spare should fit. Where are you, maybe we can find someone close to you to do a trial fit. Would that help?

More
08 Sep 2010 13:06 #895 by srshaw3
Ironically I have a set of those wheels, but only 3 good ones, and 1 bad one. Do you have an extra, or want 3 extras?

Attached files [img]media/attachments/930=93-bent_wheel.jpg[/img]

• GlennS
More
08 Sep 2010 13:54 #896 by GlennS
Stan,

I live in the hudson valley in NY state. I'm just below the city of Poughkeepsie. A trail fit if it could be arranged would be terrific.

Thanks

Glenn Simpson

• GlennS
More
08 Sep 2010 13:55 #897 by GlennS
Stan,

I only have 4, so I would be interested in the 3 extras.

Glenn Simpson

• GlennS
More
08 Sep 2010 14:15 #898 by GlennS
Stan,

Do you know a good source to get replacement air valves for these wheels?

Thanks,

Glenn Simpson

More
08 Sep 2010 14:56 #899 by srshaw3

Stan,

I live in the hudson valley in NY state. I'm just below the city of Poughkeepsie. A trail fit if it could be arranged would be terrific.

Thanks

Would you be willing to drive to the Danbury CT area?

More
08 Sep 2010 14:58 #900 by srshaw3

Stan,

I only have 4, so I would be interested in the 3 extras.

How about $75 each plus shipping, or you could pick them up (Wilbraham, MA) about 120 miles from where you are, and try a S4 spare while you are here.

More
08 Sep 2010 15:04 #901 by srshaw3

Stan,

Do you know a good source to get replacement air valves for these wheels?

Thanks,

I don't know that they are anything really special, do you?

• GlennS
More
08 Sep 2010 16:01 #902 by GlennS
Danbury, CT is fine it is about 1/2 hour from here.

Glenn Simpson

• GlennS
More
08 Sep 2010 16:07 #903 by GlennS

How about $75 each plus shipping, or you could pick them up (Wilbraham, MA) about 120 miles from where you are, and try a S4 spare while you are here.

$75 each is reasonable consider it a done deal. How much of a hassle is shipping? Do you have any idea what the shipping costs might be? I would consider making the trip, I'll check it out and let you know.

Glenn Simpson

• GlennS
More
08 Sep 2010 16:11 #904 by GlennS

I don't know that they are anything really special, do you?

I had a slow leak on a tire once, the problem turned out to be the valve. They have a rubber washer that seats against the wheel, it took some doing to find a replacement. I bought a few extras, no one local had any clue what to do about it. It was a bit of a research project.

Glenn Simpson

More
08 Sep 2010 20:20 #905 by srshaw3

Danbury, CT is fine it is about 1/2 hour from here.

I emailed the 928er in Danbury, to see if he can help you out.

More
08 Sep 2010 20:23 #906 by srshaw3

$75 each is reasonable consider it a done deal. How much of a hassle is shipping? Do you have any idea what the shipping costs might be? I would consider making the trip, I'll check it out and let you know.

I would much prefer to have you pick them up, as I don't have boxes for them, so packing could be problematic and expensive.

I drove the trip daily, to and from Poughkeepsie, when I did consulted for IBM. It is a 2 hour trip one way.

The big benefit is that you would see the wheels to know exactly what you are getting.

More
08 Sep 2010 20:30 #909 by srshaw3

I had a slow leak on a tire once, the problem turned out to be the valve. They have a rubber washer that seats against the wheel, it took some doing to find a replacement. I bought a few extras, no one local had any clue what to do about it. It was a bit of a research project.

I suspect they are like these, correct?
www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=995

More
09 Sep 2010 13:16 #917 by srshaw3
Ed, in Danbury, may have a spare tire for you, he just registered and should be checking in shortly.

More
09 Sep 2010 16:14 #922 by OBehave
Replied by OBehave on topic Need help on a spare tire question
Hi Glenn, Ed in Danbury here,are you looking for a factory space saver spare or a full size S4 wheel? Ed

• GlennS
More
10 Sep 2010 05:21 #927 by GlennS

I would much prefer to have you pick them up, as I don't have boxes for them, so packing could be problematic and expensive.

I drove the trip daily, to and from Poughkeepsie, when I did consulted for IBM. It is a 2 hour trip one way.

The big benefit is that you would see the wheels to know exactly what you are getting.

Stan,

I'll work on scheduling a trip to MA.

Glenn Simpson

• GlennS
More
10 Sep 2010 05:22 #928 by GlennS

Hi Glenn, Ed in Danbury here,are you looking for a factory space saver spare or a full size S4 wheel? Ed

Ed,

Looking for a factory space saver spare.

Glenn Simpson

More
10 Sep 2010 08:07 #929 by srshaw3

Stan,

I'll work on scheduling a trip to MA.

If you were going to the Boston Shark Party, you could pass by on the way. If you took rt 84 to rt 91 to rt 90, I am a few miles off exit 7 of rt 90.

More
10 Sep 2010 08:07 #930 by srshaw3

Ed,

Likely an S4 factory space saver spare.

• GlennS
More
10 Sep 2010 18:59 #931 by GlennS

If you were going to the Boston Shark Party, you could pass by on the way. If you took rt 84 to rt 91 to rt 90, I am a few miles off exit 7 of rt 90.

928 gas tank just started leaking yesterday. Can't get it in the shop until mid week next week. What are the dates for the Boston Shark party?

Glenn Simpson

More
10 Sep 2010 21:02 #933 by srshaw3

928 gas tank just started leaking yesterday. Can't get it in the shop until mid week next week. What are the dates for the Boston Shark party?

This weekend.

More
13 Sep 2010 17:54 #958 by OBehave
Replied by OBehave on topic Need help on a spare tire question

Ed,

Sorry for the late response Glenn I went to Boston shark party you missed a great time.No luck on the space saver but I contacted a friend and told him to post here if he has one.I'll check with him in a couple of days anyway just to follow up. Ed

• GlennS
More
14 Sep 2010 17:17 #970 by GlennS

Sorry for the late response Glenn I went to Boston shark party you missed a great time.No luck on the space saver but I contacted a friend and told him to post here if he has one.I'll check with him in a couple of days anyway just to follow up. Ed

Ed,

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn Simpson

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!