Authority Chips

More
14 Dec 2010 19:46 #2336 by rluvsporsche
Authority Chips was created by rluvsporsche
Does anyone have experience with Authority Chips? What changes does this chip do to the car? Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2010 21:03 #2337 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Authority Chips
When I got my first 928 back in '96 ('88 S4) it had 1st gen S4 autothority chips in it. The original owner put them in. The car was also not engaging the kickdown switch so my V8 '97 T-bird was actually FASTER than the S4. Got the kickdown engagement fixed and the car was much better, but still did not feel as fast as a car that cost that much should feel.

The owner said she thought it had the chips in it but I thought "NO WAY"... So I bought a set of them from AA. Put them in as per the directions and took out...AA chips! I was CRUSHED. Got the car all buttoned back up though and went for a drive... HUGE DIFFERENCE! The car was WAY FASTER! Apparently the early chips sucked A$$ and were not even as good as the factory stuff.

So, anyway, I have no real back to back comparison but I think the AA chips are pretty good. That said, there may be some other chips for sale that are better. I'd do a search for Porken Chips and see about those. If you are VERY technically savy and willing to invest some time a Rising rate fuel pressure regulator and Shark tuner would REALLY wake an S3 or S4 up!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
14 Dec 2010 21:35 #2338 by rluvsporsche
Replied by rluvsporsche on topic Authority Chips
James,

Do this chip make your car idle higher than stock? Do fuel consumption go up? I believe it actual make a difference. I had an AA on my old 84 911 Carrera and it felt it had more power than stock.

Ariel Trajano

More
15 Dec 2010 16:29 #2344 by pcar928fan
Ariel,

Since I never drove the car with the factory chips and I have never chipped either of my GTS's I can't say for sure. The newer AA chips were certainly better than the old ones. No comparison there for sure!

I don't really care about or worry about gas mileage. If that mattered I'd have a VW TDI of some sort!

Should be NO CHANGE in idle.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
16 Dec 2010 22:02 #2354 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic Authority Chips
Just a quick reply on the AU chips, and I won't go in to detail about them, but you do NOT want them in your car.

If you want a chip that works for the 85-86 cars, look at Porken's chips. If you want a chip that will actually help your 87 plus car, then find someone that can Shark Tune it and burn E-proms.

More
16 Dec 2010 23:36 #2357 by pcar928fan
Sean, are you shark tuning? Is there anyone down Austin way that is? I can't think of anyone...

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
22 Dec 2010 16:56 #2412 by N2O-928
Replied by N2O-928 on topic Authority Chips
I had the stock chips in my '85 when I bought it, purchased the Autothority chips from Autothorty (~$500.) back in '98.

Wow.. it really brightened up the car, I would not and did not take them out for over 10 years.

If I was going to do it today, I would just get the PorKen chips (not sure if he still sell the ones that do not need the higher Fuel Pressure). Ken’s chips are more aggressive than the Autothority, the Autothority are more for mainstream users (no other mods required).

I recall that Ken posted the Autothority add ~5 deg of timing at WOT and change the fuel settings too, idle is not affected and you car will run quicker than stock (more noticeable on the 85/86 as these are more de-tuned due to lack of an Anti Knock system).

I finally took mine out and replace w/ the stock chips as I no longer need the 10 to 15 extra HP, now I add shot of N2O that allows me to exchange even more gasoline for 150 HP :D

I’m looking at having Ken burn me a custom set of his Chips that will remove 8 deg of timing at WOT, but only when I close the low Octane Loop. As I only need to remove the Timing when I activate the N2O system at WOT else I want the timing the way he has programmed it.

Oh and the Shark tuner will be the most precise for your eng as no two are identical, not an option on the ‘85/86 though.

Hope this helps,

Dave

More
25 Dec 2010 08:06 #2447 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Authority Chips
First lets understand that the chips are eproms that the factory installed into the fuel control brain, LH and the ignition brain, EZK.

The stock chips are mass produced and programmed so they cover a broad aspect of all variables of the 928 model they were made for. They do an ok job but leave much on the table.

The AA chips do add more power to the pre S4 cars but Kens chips are better, more dedicated to specific models...........see Porkens website for further detail. S4 through GTS models do not have similar change with AA chips over stock and as such are deemed not worth the $$ or install effort.

With a shark tuner the eproms are removed from both brains and replaced with PEMs. These PEMs are programmable to suit the specific car they're fitted to and also can be reprogrammed as the car is upgraded. Essentially, with the PEMs installed the Sharktuner connects into the 928 via the diagnostic port and permits tuning through the complete running spectrum of your car, from idle to WOT and inbetween. With the ST connected the car is run and tuning data captured which is then used to program the PEMs. For more explanation of PEMs and sharktuners see John Speakes website, the inventor and manufacturer of the ST.

More
25 Dec 2010 11:01 #2455 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Authority Chips
That is a awesome explanation Malcolm.

I am betting that PEM stands for Programable Electronic Memory

More
25 Dec 2010 11:49 #2456 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Authority Chips
Thx Brad..............sharing the knowledge while upping my post count ;)

BTW........PEMs are Programmable EPROM Modules.

More
29 Dec 2010 20:32 #2557 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Authority Chips
I have seen only one site I think that has chips for the 83-84 4.7L LJet. Most do not, just S4s and up. Is that just because of low demand. Are the differences nominal for those models etc. thus low requests? Anyone with any experience using chips for that model year?

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
27 Dec 2011 16:00 #7529 by cbulldog99
Replied by cbulldog99 on topic Authority Chips
Did anyone ever find a pre '85 chip solution?

I have an '84 that needs more GO!

More
27 Dec 2011 23:56 #7534 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Authority Chips

Did anyone ever find a pre '85 chip solution?

I have an '84 that needs more GO!

Not that I know of but maybe someone else will know more about it.

BTW cBulldog, good to have you on board.

Brad

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!