Hardware for rear hatch trim?

More
05 Jan 2011 21:37 #2748 by mm928
I looked through the PET and vendors sites, but cannot seem to locate the hardware that is used to anchor the vinyl interior piece at the bottom of the glass hatch to the metal part of the hatch. The PO left only the empty holes with a few wall anchors in to help hold a couple of screws loosely.

I was hoping to find out what the heck was in those empty holes so I can get a replacement set. Right now I get a lot of squeaking back there, especially when the car is warmer and starts flexing a little more I guess.

It is the vinyl covered part that covers the rear wiper blade mechanism on the hatch itself, not the bottom where the wiper motor is. It is the bottom inside of the hatch itself. On the top of that, on the outside, is where the spoiler is.

I will try to post a Pic tomorrow. Thanks for any ideas or links
83 S model.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2011 16:04 #2780 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Hardware for rear hatch trim?
I didn't think many people would run into this or want to remove theirs to see what is there. Mine was taken off likely due to the wiring harness fire it had in previous years....as I understand it.

But anyway - if you find exactly the right size wall anchor to snugly fit the hole, with a good matching screw, then use a screwdriver to press against the anchor, then use a drill on low speed to turn the screw quick enough, the wall anchor won't start turning and it will snug up nicely.

In order to hold it better, I used screws with the built-in washers, I think they are carpet screws. Brass looks ok for now and they dig into the anchor well because their threads are a little deeper and sharper.

Now the back end does not SQUEAK when the body twists.....

1 down, plenty more to go! I also used the Lexol cleaner, conditioner and Vinylex products today and I highly recommend them. It will take a few re-applications but they all do a good job 1st time. Get all 3 from Amazon for 22.00.

Anyway - thanks for looking

Attached files [img]media/attachments/2878=263-IMG_0085_001.JPG[/img]

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
08 Jan 2011 18:05 #2785 by 928mac
keep us filled in Michael. Good job!

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!