928s brake upgrade

More
04 Apr 2011 16:27 #4286 by blk928s
928s brake upgrade was created by blk928s
I am a new owner of a 1984 928s 5spd. and am interested in upgrading the brakes. I understand the newer 928's had brembo calipers, which i could use if I switch front spindles. has any one done this? is it worth it for a street car? I do plan on some engine mods in the future. Also i see that SSBC offers slotted , drilled rotors and performance pads for the stock calipers. any info is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2011 16:34 #4287 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic 928s brake upgrade
You do not need it for the street. While the 4 pistons Brembos are nice, the key advantage is to prevent brake fade. It is difficult and almost certainly illegal to drive in a fashion on the street that would result in brake fade....

Most street 928s are converted for the looks.

I like slotted rotors, as they help the gases escape. Drilled rotors have varying level of problems with cracking, so I am not an advocate.

If you were going to drive on the track I would advocate the 4 piston brembo brakes with good pads and slotted rotors.

Just my opinion... ;)

More
04 Apr 2011 18:05 #4291 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic 928s brake upgrade

You do not need it for the street. While the 4 pistons Brembos are nice, the key advantage is to prevent brake fade. It is difficult and almost certainly illegal to drive in a fashion on the street that would result in brake fade....

Most street 928s are converted for the looks.

I like slotted rotors, as they help the gases escape. Drilled rotors have varying level of problems with cracking, so I am not an advocate.

If you were going to drive on the track I would advocate the 4 piston brembo brakes with good pads and slotted rotors.

Just my opinion... ;)

I am with Stan, but sometimes sales come on as they did last X-mas and I picked up a set of 4 drilled Zimmerman from Roger. I think it was around $450 delivered.

Brad

More
05 Apr 2011 11:49 #4299 by blk928s
Replied by blk928s on topic 928s brake upgrade
seems like Its best to go with the original calipers, and slotted aftermarket rotors with performance pads. I do not want to have and unnecessary expense and work, just for looks. the other option would be to get the brembo's at a good price, or off a parts car, which would justify the extra work. any recommended vendor for the parts? or should I check with a porsche dealer?

More
05 Apr 2011 12:57 #4301 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic 928s brake upgrade
here is the link for used parts

www.928intl.com/

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!