Single disk vs dual disk clutch

• Boulet
  • Boulet's Avatar Topic Author
More
06 May 2011 23:35 #4726 by Boulet
Single disk vs dual disk clutch was created by Boulet
I realize Porsche redeveloped the older style dual disk clutch for a larger single disk but why exactly? What types of problems can be expected with the dual disk? Yes, let's hear the horror stories...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2011 12:48 #4728 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Single disk vs dual disk clutch
I believe the issue was that they were problematic when serviced in the field with regard to adjustment. In general there aren't issues when they are understood, and as you perhaps already know they will tolerate more hp and torque.

I retrofitted a dual disc clutch to my '90 GT and am very happy, but I had one in my '80 so knew what to expect. The effort required to operate the clutch is much less than with a single disc assembly.

• Boulet
  • Boulet's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 May 2011 20:16 #4770 by Boulet
Replied by Boulet on topic Single disk vs dual disk clutch
Thank you Stan, I appreciate your input.
-Todd

More
24 Jun 2011 15:07 #5243 by N2O-928
Replied by N2O-928 on topic Single disk vs dual disk clutch
Yes they work great however they will drag if not adjusted and maintained, the intermediate plate is held in place (floats) by three “finger like” links and they can become worn or get dirty and stick.

Devek had a great write up years ago, to put it simply; clean and use a dry lube on all three links and center the intermediate plate.
The clutch needs to be disengaged (open/peddle down) to do this.
Rotate eng until each link is at the bottom (clean lube) and center the intermediate plate, repeat two more times.

Some will say there is a measurement however that only would/could apply if all parts are new and most are not. ;)

Dave

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!