Oils and ZDDP

More
20 May 2011 13:27 #4882 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Oils and ZDDP
I will check these out and see if my current idea stacks up!

As of right now - I am leaning towards keeping a decent Zinc/Phosphorus level as long as I can find a product that is accessible and well received by most.

So for my next oil change (when I replace the oil pan gasket hopefully) I was planning to switch from Castrol 10w-40 which I believe dropped down to about a 600 or so zinc level, to Shell Rotella 15w-40 which is still around 1200 or more. It seems to be well thought of by many 928-ers and is available at Wal-Mart for 17.00 per gal and also available at Costco. Sounds like a very good oil at a decent price. It is basically a mixed fleet Diesel truck oil, made to last and protect. My only concern is the maybe the formulation with respect to detergents or other additives which may or may not suit long term use in our engines.

It is not really warm enough around here all year to go 20w-50 or I would consider other products as well. I know oil subjects are beat to death in forums, but it is also kind of fun watching the action....and in the process, maybe learn a little or at least be pushed to do your own research and learn a little more than you knew before.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2011 20:58 #4893 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Oils and ZDDP
Hey Mike I saw the Rotella at Canadian tire but kept looking.

What I found at the sports shop (mostly for motor bikes) was this.

You guys can give me your thoughts as to if it meets or exceeds what our engines require.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

It was not cheep though.
I only change the oil once a year so I guess its not to bad

More
21 May 2011 15:35 #4900 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic Oils and ZDDP
I got the royal purple at a locall speed shop for 104$ for a case of 12 litres. Good for the year in my car.Full sythetic handles the heat and the cold better.

More
21 May 2011 21:16 #4909 by mm928
928mac - I haven't finished looking through your links, but in one it says the CJ-4 is not what we really want. We want CI-4 rating. It says if the oil has CJ-4 on it or something like "good for lower emissions" etc. then it is likely the new formulation. Check out the last link you sent. The info is a about 2/3 down the page I think.

This is the one I am looking at. Although it is CJ-4 it does claim to have high wear protection.
In fact here is a quote from the Shell site with regards to the CI-4 formulation.

"There was significantly lower wear on the road: Up to 38% less iron wear than Shell Rotella® T CI-4 PLUS SAE 15W-40 and up to 22% less iron wear than Shell Rotella® T3 SAE 15W-40 CJ-4."

www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/tpl_pro/

I am pretty sure Amsoil is really good stuff but I am not familiar with that particular grade - maybe someone who uses it can advise on that. I am still doing a little research personally.

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
21 May 2011 21:51 #4912 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Oils and ZDDP
Hey Mike I sure like how it shows less ware and better protection with the oil you bought.

I know that our engines call for a high ZDDP rateing and I was hoping this Amsoil had it.

The Rottella I was looking at in Canadian Tire was different

Thanks for the info.

More
07 Jan 2013 17:36 #13105 by Normy1
Replied by Normy1 on topic Oils and ZDDP
I'm doing my yearly oil change tomorrow [2500 miles~], and for the first time I'm using ZDDP additive. ZDDPlus, from the company that makes it. That, and Castrol GTX 10W-40.

I still don't know what to think of all this; I guess I'm being cautious. Snake oil salesmen abound...

N

More
07 Jan 2013 17:55 #13107 by mm928
As you know, Porsche does not recommend additives, (of course that was probably also true at the time when oil HAD ZDDP!) and I had the same thought as you, why not add some!

Oil discussion can be very complicated as you no doubt are aware by now and everyone has a position. The only thing that kind of bothers me about ZDDP Plus is the statement that you use 4 oz for every 4-5 quart oil change.....seems a little in-exact.

One other comment, with you being in Fla, I would think you would want to use 20w50 due to the heat? I use 15w40 in Va. Just a thought.

Good Luck!

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
07 Jan 2013 23:07 #13110 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Oils and ZDDP
There are several oils available with sufficient ZDDP and the correct viscosity already. I much rather get what I need straight out of the bottle than to cocktail my own, but that is just me.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Jan 2013 07:39 #13111 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Oils and ZDDP
Ive used full synthetics for both my 928s since day 1..........Mobil 1 15w50 and Amsoil 20w50

The GTS was consumming oil at a rapid rate until I switch over to Amsoil Zrod then drove the car to Kansas and back, 6000 kms........it hasnt used a drop since :)

Attached files [img]media/attachments/13468=1560-amsoil.JPG[/img]

More
09 Jan 2013 21:17 #13124 by Normy1

As you know, Porsche does not recommend additives, (of course that was probably also true at the time when oil HAD ZDDP!) and I had the same thought as you, why not add some!

Oil discussion can be very complicated as you no doubt are aware by now and everyone has a position. The only thing that kind of bothers me about ZDDP Plus is the statement that you use 4 oz for every 4-5 quart oil change.....seems a little in-exact.

One other comment, with you being in Fla, I would think you would want to use 20w50 due to the heat? I use 15w40 in Va. Just a thought.

Good Luck!

Hey-

I used to use 20W50, but the reality is that here in South Florida, it never really gets over about 93 degrees/33 C, due to the proximity of the ocean. Michigan is hotter than Fort Lauderdale in July, trust me. That is the big debate that I have with friends from northern climates: "How can you stand the heat down there", well it really isn't any hotter. In fact, it is slightly cooler in the summer down here than up north.

But our winter? Two days ago, I woke up, put on a bathing suit, and barefoot....backed the 928 out of the garage and washed it in the driveway. It was 75 degrees at 0730. Try THAT in Michigan this time of year!

I used 20W50 for years. I work for an airline, and I generally have a week on/week off schedule. What I noticed was that due to my schedule, when I came home and started the car, at first I noticed some blue smoke. When I changed to 10W40 this didn't happen any more. The owners manual says that 10W40 is proper for my temperatures, which range from a low of 50 degrees/10C on a cold winter night to a high of 93/33C.

I still don't know what to think about the ZDDP additive.

N

More
10 Jan 2013 12:36 #13125 by Dean_Fuller
Replied by Dean_Fuller on topic Oils and ZDDP
I would venture to guess that NO auto maker recommends any oil additive. Opens too many doors to lawsuits. Just my opinion. I would not put too much thought in the fact that Porsche is in that group as well.

More
10 Jan 2013 16:47 #13126 by mm928
Good to know Normy....if you think Michigan is hot, try 100% humidity in VA....sheessshh.

Enjoy FLA... :)

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
24 Jan 2013 18:26 #13301 by Normy1

Good to know Normy....if you think Michigan is hot, try 100% humidity in VA....sheessshh.

Enjoy FLA... :)

Hah hah! I know what you are talking about. I just got done watching the national news and the pictures of buildings covered with ice! It was 76F/24C here today. I spent the afternoon in a pair of shorts and no shirt scraping the barnacles off the bottom of my boat in the front yard.

N

More
25 Jan 2013 14:03 #13310 by mm928
You ol sea dog! :)

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
28 Jan 2013 18:52 #13343 by Normy1

You ol sea dog! :)

Every dog in the neighborhood has sniffed my swale the past few days....:rolleyes:

N

More
29 Jan 2013 18:38 #13377 by ROG100
Replied by ROG100 on topic Oils and ZDDP
Lots and lots of interesting information out there about oils.

I moved away from Mobil 1 15W 50 because of issues with availability. I also take a lot of notice of the really experianced mechanics (work on Porsche cars for a living). Bruce Buchanan in Australia is once such guru and has about 25 years experiance with oils and Porsche cars.

They use 15W 50 or 20W 50 oils with over 1200 levels of ZZDP and have never seen lifter wear, cam wear or thrust bearing wear (auto and manual) EVER. The only cars they see wear on are cars that use lower viscosity oils or oils without the correct level of ZZDP period.

I personnaly use Royal Purple 20W 50 on all my cars and also customer cars. I think the actual oil supplier is mute as long as the viscosity and ZZDP levels are correct.

If you check your owners manual Porsche only recomends 15W 40, 20W 40 & 20W 50 for our cars that operate 5F to 100F. That must cover a large proportion of 928 owners.

More
30 Jan 2013 11:39 #13397 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Oils and ZDDP
I would hesitate at recommending 15w-40 as an acceptable viscosity for our engines. I am not aware of any formulation of that viscosity that has greater than 800ppm zddp. That is not to say it doesn't exist, but I believe it may be very hard to find. 15w-50 is would I would suggest. Perhaps it was just a typo. :)

More
30 Jan 2013 12:08 #13399 by ROG100
Replied by ROG100 on topic Oils and ZDDP
Right Austin a typo sorry - 15W 50 it is because we can buy it here.
However Porsche recommends 15W 40 and not the 15W 50 that we buy locally in the US - far more 928's in the ROW than here.

I checked with Royal Purple and 15W 40 is readily available and with the levels of ZZDP we are looking for to suit our older cars.

Not a lot of difference between 15W 40 & 15W 50 just depends on the cars operating conditions.

I would hesitate at recommending 15w-40 as an acceptable viscosity for our engines.

You need to be carefull about recommendations unless you define the operating parameters of the vehicle.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!