Front control arms

More
25 Apr 2010 18:05 #241 by 87 Shark
Front control arms was created by 87 Shark
I had the car up on a hoist this past week to check out the front end. It turns out I need the left upper control arm as the ball joint is shot. Intrernet price checks palace the cost at $946 for new and about $400 for a rebuilt unit.
I came across an aftermarket steel part [not aluminum as original ] made by 928 motorsports for $520 per pair.
Has anyone had any experience with this steel control arm? It looks like a good deal to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2010 18:53 #319 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic Front control arms
I bought the control arms from 928 motorsports and hope to have them installed next week.I'll also be changing the tie rods cv boots and refurbishing the brakes. Can't wait to get out on the road.

More
19 May 2010 19:02 #321 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Front control arms
I am interested in how you like them. Not that it is critical, but weigh them to see how they compare as well.

More
19 Jun 2010 13:36 #381 by 87 Shark
The new control arms weigh 1.2lbs less than original ones. They are a tight fit to get them in but fit well and look great.The car feels new. I had to rebuild an axel, totally rebuild a calliper and refurbish the other three. The new tie rods help to.The studs on the old arms did have to be pressed out (to hard to hammer out. Afraid to mushroom the ends) and pressed in to the new arms.Pictures to follow.

More
28 Jun 2010 06:15 #409 by srshaw3
Good information, thanks.

If you have long term usage to report back, good or bad, that could be useful to others as well.

More
20 Jul 2010 20:16 #456 by S4Phil
Replied by S4Phil on topic Front control arms
87 Shark - Anything to report back? Interested to hear how they're working out. I'm going to tackle some front suspension items soon as well.

More
21 Jul 2010 16:58 #458 by 87 Shark
I have put about 1200 kms. on the car since the work was done. I must say I am very pleased with the results.The car handles like a dream, and tracks perfectly. The guy that did the allignement said it is right on spec and was easy to set up. So far so good. I still have some miles to put on. I hope to attend the Boston shark party in Sept. if all is well. I still have some parts to get(any one have a spare belly pan?). Boston is about 7 1/2 hours from Ottawa. As I said so far so good!

More
21 Jul 2010 17:43 #459 by 87 Shark
I should say that I don't miss the rubber bushings. The new arms don't have any bushings, just grease fittings.The ride is not much stiffer than before the change but much more control. Shocks and springs will do for now, on the wish list for a long winter.

More
21 Jul 2010 17:48 #460 by srshaw3
Great, thanks for the feedback!

More
21 Jul 2010 21:21 #465 by S4Phil
Good to hear. Glad it's going well. Seems like I'm progressing down the same path with my car -- Tie rods and front wheel bearings. Springs and shocks on the list as well.

More
22 Jul 2010 05:09 #466 by 87 Shark
Good luck S4Phill. Ishould tell you we did the control arms on a hoist and needed all the clearance under the car we could get.It was much easierthan on jack stands.

More
22 Jul 2010 11:33 #467 by rluvsporsche
Replied by rluvsporsche on topic Front control arms
87 shark,

What model year are you using this on?

More
22 Jul 2010 11:44 #468 by srshaw3

87 shark,

What model year are you using this on?

If you are new to the 928 world, you may not be aware that the 928 is often referred to as a shark, so a guess would be an '87 S4.

Also, if you click on his id, you can view his profile, and see he has an '87 S4 5 speed.

More
22 Jul 2010 14:13 #469 by srshaw3

Good luck S4Phill. Ishould tell you we did the control arms on a hoist and needed all the clearance under the car we could get.It was much easier than on jack stands.

Just a data point, but I did control arms a while back on my '80 Euro S, when upgrading to S4 control arms. I did the work on jack stands.

I removed a few components to get access to the upper arm nuts in the engine bay, but after doing so the job was not too difficult, just time consuming.

More
22 Jul 2010 15:40 #470 by 87 Shark
I agree it can be done. On my 87 I was able to reach up to reach the nuts without removing anything under the hood. We also used a power bar to loosen the nuts. The extra leverage was a big help.
I should say my car is an 87 s4 5speed with lsd, bilstein shocks, 17inch cup wheels.

More
22 Jul 2010 20:51 #471 by rluvsporsche

I agree it can be done. On my 87 I was able to reach up to reach the nuts without removing anything under the hood. We also used a power bar to loosen the nuts. The extra leverage was a big help.
I should say my car is an 87 s4 5speed with lsd, bilstein shocks, 17inch cup wheels.

I have these units on my car and they are not the same size as OEM. They measure 5/8 or more than OEM. I cannot get this to work on my 87. I've consulted with Porsche gurus around and they say 5/8 will not get me factory alignment specs. Can you tell me what the lengths of your OEM to 928Motosport A-arms?

More
22 Jul 2010 21:14 #472 by srshaw3

I have these units on my car and they are not the same size as OEM. They measure 5/8 or more than OEM. I cannot get this to work on my 87. I've consulted with Porsche gurus around and they say 5/8 will not get me factory alignment specs. Can you tell me what the lengths of your OEM to 928Motosport A-arms?

I am curious as to what you are saying is "5/8 or more".

More
23 Jul 2010 13:18 #477 by S4Phil
Thanks for the info. I will in fact be doing them on jack stands. No lift in my garage (yet).

More
23 Jul 2010 15:31 #479 by 87 Shark
My old arms are gone. Are you saying that the arms dont stick out into the wheel well far enough? Or are they set to far for ward or to far back. If they dont stick out far enough you can shim them. If they are to far foreward or set back they may be reversed (right and left).

More
23 Jul 2010 16:34 #480 by rluvsporsche

My old arms are gone. Are you saying that the arms dont stick out into the wheel well far enough? Or are they set to far for ward or to far back. If they dont stick out far enough you can shim them. If they are to far foreward or set back they may be reversed (right and left).

sorry I meant 5/8 shorter than OEM from center on ball joint to the mount towards inside of the car. The are not reversed, the can only mount one direction.

More
23 Jul 2010 16:44 #481 by srshaw3
So you could shim them, just put a washer or two between the control arm and the car.

More
23 Jul 2010 17:03 #482 by 87 Shark
I've read elsewhere that some installs require shims and some don't. I can't explain it. Make sure youre suspention has settled before you try to allign it.The car will not allign or keep an alignementif the suspention has not dropped. This is different than most any other car including other porsches.

More
25 Jul 2010 02:23 #497 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Front control arms

Make sure youre suspention has settled before you try to allign it.The car will not allign or keep an alignementif the suspention has not dropped. This is different than most any other car including other porsches.

Absolutely! For those of you who may be following along and had not ever heard of this FACT before, be advised. The front end bushings in ALL of these cars assume a "set" position once the car is lifted. It takes as much as a couple hundred miles of driving for the suspension to return to its normal settings. For this reason, it is often very hard to find shops who are willing to align the car because this pretty much eliminates the "shake down" process where the quality of the suspension parts are inspected prior to checking the adjustments. The 928's suspension must stay compressed during the initial inspection.

More
19 Aug 2010 19:58 #676 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Front control arms
928 MS have a ball joint rebuild kit for the upper A-arm
www.928motorsports.com/parts/balljointrepair.php

More
20 Aug 2010 08:39 #679 by rluvsporsche

928 MS have a ball joint rebuild kit for the upper A-arm

Application for 78-86 only. I do appreciate the help but end up buying a rebuilt unit.

More
15 Sep 2010 19:00 #1005 by 87 Shark
A arms have been on for 3months now and am very pleased with the handling and ride. I did have an issue with a creak comming from the left front that was not present with the old control arms. I allowed the car to settle in but the creak would not go away. After talking to many different sources I was told repeatedly that it sounds like a bushing problem. The new control arms eliminate the upper bushings. The car was to tight after the install. A can of wd40 and sprayed all remaining bushings and all is as it should be.I would recommend the steel arms as a cost effective alternative to the original control arms.

More
15 Sep 2010 19:07 #1008 by srshaw3

A arms have been on for 3months now and am very pleased with the handling and ride. I did have an issue with a creak comming from the left front that was not present with the old control arms. I allowed the car to settle in but the creak would not go away. After talking to many different sources I was told repeatedly that it sounds like a bushing problem. The new control arms eliminate the upper bushings. The car was to tight after the install. A can of wd40 and sprayed all remaining bushings and all is as it should be.I would recommend the steel arms as a cost effective alternative to the original control arms.

Great, thanks for the feedback :D

More
16 Sep 2010 10:11 #1027 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Front control arms

sorry I meant 5/8 shorter than OEM from center on ball joint to the mount towards inside of the car. The are not reversed, the can only mount one direction.

I wonder if there is a diff in years and they sent you the wrong ones

More
16 Sep 2010 17:01 #1039 by rluvsporsche

I wonder if there is a diff in years and they sent you the wrong ones

You’re probably right. The vendor finally agreed to send me OEM rebuilt. I've installed the OEM back. I'm waiting for the suspension to settle before getting it aligned. I also drop the car to my liking. It's approximately 1.5-2 inches top of the tire to fender lip.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!