Applying Factory Porsche Decals

More
26 Jun 2011 22:08 #5260 by wyman
I have purchased a set of the Factory Porsche Decals for the Rear of my 1986 Porsche 928s. How do you apply the decals onto the rear bumper? The adhesive is very sticky and very hard to overlay into the correct position.

Is there a special soapy solution to use to float the decals into it's final position?

Thanks.
Wyman:confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2011 09:55 #5265 by 928mac
Yes you are correct. At least thats how i've been taught to do it at a GM dealer. Porsche may have a different method.

Put some dish soap in a spray bottle, or you can use a bucket and rag.

First measure and put your chalk marks on. wet it real well.
lightly place and center it.
use a soft credit card or better a flexible license ID to smooth out the bubbles after it is perfectly centered.

Take your time and be fussy
Good Luck

More
30 Jun 2011 02:07 #5333 by wyman
Brad:

I tried it initially with mildly soapy water on the decal letter "P" but it did not "slide". At that point, I chickened out and stopped. I wonder if I tried it with too much soap content, it might break down the adhesive that's already on the decals?

Wyman
Victoria BC

More
30 Jun 2011 10:55 #5345 by wyman
Brad:

Just saw on YouTube another approach is to position the decal and then
"hinge" it into position. Then remove the backing and then press and transfer
the decal. I will try this method this weekend. The only complicated part of
this is due to the individual letters P O R S C H E are recessed in the bumper
surface.

cheers.
Wyman.

More
01 Jul 2011 07:16 #5360 by martinss
When I added the 928S4 decal it was quite a different procedure. It was not so much a decal (floated on water) as a sticky-backed label - actually five labels, one for each character.

There was a paper cover on each of the front and back. I removed the paper from the back which exposed the very sticky glue. I then placed all five characters on the bumper cover using the paper on the front-side to position them all at once - this way they stayed exactly aligned in relation to each other. After rubbing down it was easy to peel the paper from the front and the characters all remained adhered to the bumper.

There is a resource somewhere (sorry, I forget where but could find it) that tells you the exact factory alignment and positioning in millimeters measured from the Porsche lettering.

More
04 Jul 2011 15:33 #5411 by mm928
I had individual letters because I got raised letters. But it is a little easier, because for those, you pull back the paper from the back partially, along the long edge, position it to the depression in the metal. It is sticky but could be moved at least once or twice if you get it wrong. Then check it, and pull the rest of the paper while you smooth it towards the other side. That put each letter right in the middle of the depression in the metal.

Hope you got it right!!!! The raised carbon fiber look letters give it a nice pop.

Send a Pic after.....

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
04 Jul 2011 21:44 #5415 by 928mac
Yes, we want pictures, we want pictures, we want pictures :D

More
04 Jul 2011 22:53 #5417 by martinss
Since wyman said, "Factory Porsche Decals for the Rear of my 1986 Porsche 928s." I assume he was referring to the factory model designation, not the P-O-R-S-C-H-E lettering installed in the recess, which is not factory. I've actually done both, i.e. factory model designation in flat transfer and brushed metal stick-ons from Jager inserted in the recessed brand name:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
05 Jul 2011 01:19 #5418 by pcar928fan
Martin,

Stickers within the "P" "O" "R" "S" "C" "H" "E" on the back of a 928 (S, OB and comp pkg cars) IS factory stock! On S4/GT cars it is not...but on the early cars it most certainly is...not sure what car the OP has and is talking about in this instance (I can't remember)...

Just looked...he has an '86, so the "PORSCHE" letters are stock and should be on that car in the recessed areas. That said, those are EASY to install compared to getting the "928 S" in the right place and level!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
05 Jul 2011 10:10 #5420 by martinss

Martin,

Stickers within the "P" "O" "R" "S" "C" "H" "E" on the back of a 928 (S, OB and comp pkg cars) IS factory stock! ...

I stand corrected James. Obviously I need to get out more in 928 circles (there are no events in the Toronto area) or buy more like you ;)

More
05 Jul 2011 19:55 #5421 by pcar928fan
BUY MORE! That way it is a 928 GTG every time you go out in to your garage! I LOVE IT! ;)

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!