Oil plug use a washer or not?

• EWM
  • EWM's Avatar Topic Author
More
28 Jun 2011 13:09 #5294 by EWM
Oil plug use a washer or not? was created by EWM
The oil drain plug on the recently acquired 1979 928 does not have a gasket or washer on it.

I see pictures of both rubber O rings and aluminum flat washers on 928 web pages that seem to be assocaited with 928 oil plugs. Does the oil drain plug use a washer, O ring or nothing?

There is slow oil drip coming from this area or at least was befoe I drined the used oil.

Thanks,
EWM
1979 928

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2011 13:30 #5295 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Oil plug use a washer or not?
I have always used the flat crush washer on my 928s. Usually the 928 vendors include it with an oil filter. I think this will correct your drip next time you change the oil.

• EWM
More
28 Jun 2011 14:58 #5296 by EWM
Replied by EWM on topic Oil plug use a washer or not?
Can anyone suggest a buiness that would sell a crush washer. One did not come with the Bosch filter I bought from Parts Geek. I cannot find one on eBay. The parts store linked to 928Tips may be on vacation today. The Auto Zone store does not have one that fits. They did have a 60 cent generic rubber O ring but i don't know if that would hold up to the heat.

I would like to find a trust worthy washer as I am not going to pour in $60 worth of synthethic oil that I would lose to stop the oil leak. Meanwhile I can't drive the car this weekend becasue of a two dollar washer.

More
28 Jun 2011 15:09 #5297 by srshaw3
A quick search finds it to be sized 22 x 27x 1.5 mm part number 900-123-118-30-M131 (you should confirm this).

Where are you located, you might want to pick the vendor to get it from based on that. You are likely to pay more in shipping than for the crush washer.

928 vendors are your friends; 928intl.com and 928srus.com (I suspect you tried 928gt.com from the tips site).

• EWM
More
28 Jun 2011 15:15 #5298 by EWM
I am located in north central San Antonio, Texas.

Which of the two vendors would you suggest? Or is there a closer recommended source?

I have a list of small things I need to but for repairing all the minor (so far) issues found with the car.

Thanks,
Woody Montier

More
28 Jun 2011 15:20 #5299 by srshaw3
928srus.com is in TX
928intl.com is in CA
928gt.com is in NC

More
28 Jun 2011 17:56 #5302 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Oil plug use a washer or not?
Woody,

Jones Auto Works in SA would be a good place to check in with. They work on quite a few 928 down your way. They worked on my 1st 928 (it was originally purchased in SA and lived there for its first 8 years of life). They WILL BE EXPENSIVE, but if you get in a bind they are a good resource to have handy and have a relationship with!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• EWM
More
29 Jun 2011 10:48 #5312 by EWM
James,

Thanks for the recommendation. The original and previous owner also recommended Jone's Autowerks as honest and competent if I ran into a problem I cannot repair. The orginal owner for example used them to replace the air conditioning system, to replace the timing belt and water pump and to do an alignment. (I would have to use them for A/C servicing but no way on the timing belt - labor is too expensive anywhere.)

If I cannot fix it myself, I cannot afford this car. Which is why this forum is valuable to me. The 928 came with four factory service notebooks but, so far, the manuals don't compare with the helpfulness of this forum.

To close out this issue, I found a 22 mm oil drain plug with gasket at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Cost me $12 plus tax and I only needed the gasket. I also ordered 4 additonal oil drain gaskets from Pelican Porsche Parts in California (at 25 cents each). Pelican had them in stock and and their web page ordering is working. Will always check Texas-based 928srus first in the future.

More
29 Jun 2011 15:04 #5315 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Oil plug use a washer or not?
The shop manuals SUCK A$$!! Dwayne's tech articles are THE ONLY WAY TO GO! Well, there are a couple of other folks who have followed Dwayne's lead and done some write ups that he had not yet done, but his info is UNMATCHED! With Dwayne's write ups a Monkey that can read could work on a 928! Some mechanics I have seen are not even in a reading Monkey category though! LOL!

This place pays for itself the first time you use the "Roadside assistance program" or the tech forums area!!! Not to mention the cool shirt you get for joining and the other goodies that follow when you renew!!! ;) Heading to the Post office in just a bit with 25+ new member and renewal gifts to send out! So if you joined or renewed in the last 2 months and have not received your goodie...watch your mail box starting next week!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• EWM
More
29 Jun 2011 21:45 #5321 by EWM
To reveal my complete ignorance, Dwayne who? issues THE best guides? Where are those located?

More
30 Jun 2011 01:22 #5329 by srshaw3
Dwayne's is a 928 OC member. Procedures he has developed can be found in the Technical Library: forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16

More
02 Jul 2011 19:40 #5377 by N2O-928
Replied by N2O-928 on topic Oil plug use a washer or not?
I would just order a few new oil filters from 928's-R-us, Roger always includes them, you will use the eventualy ;)

More
02 Jul 2011 19:43 #5378 by N2O-928
Replied by N2O-928 on topic Oil plug use a washer or not?

Dwayne's is a 928 OC member. Procedures he has developed can be found in the Technical Library: forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16

+ 1 on that, he has some great step by step's, also Wally Plumber on 928gt.com also has some great troubleshooting guides.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!