Timing Belt Repair Cost

More
10 May 2010 16:41 #274 by Rufus Cook
I need to replace the timing belt on my 928s. I have taken it to a few
shops that specialize in repairing the 928s and the quotes that I have been getting seem rather high. What is a reasonable cost for a typical timing belt repair for the 928s in Chicago, Illinois and/or does anyone know of a reputable shop that can do the work in the Chicagoland area for a reasonable price?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2010 17:36 #275 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Timing Belt Repair Cost

shops that specialize in repairing the 928s and the quotes that I have been getting seem rather high. What is a reasonable cost for a typical timing belt repair for the 928s in Chicago, Illinois and/or does anyone know of a reputable shop that can do the work in the Chicagoland area for a reasonable price?

I don't know Chicago, but if the job is done properly, reviewing all possibly wear components, it could be $1k plus parts perhaps. Parts could run another $500 or more, depending on what is bad, and where the parts are sourced, etc.

Just my off the cuff thoughts.

More
10 May 2010 18:55 #276 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Timing Belt Repair Cost
Now if it is just time to replace the belt
Part #: 928-105-157-50-M51
Brand: Gates
$31.00

This one is listed through pelican, so as you can see, the parts are not that much.
Now because the job requires lots of digging (other parts removed)
Everyone recommends doing the water pump to save labor.
The good "fix" replacement water pump (also online) is around $300.
Some guys also tackle the timing belt tensioner if it needs serviced.

I believe most in the forum do their own work
you can find the manuals here
www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm
but its not for the one that has never worked on a car before

More
10 May 2010 20:42 #277 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Timing Belt Repair Cost
More thoughts;

The tensioners and rollers definitely should be reviewed, they may be fine or may need to be replaced to prevent a failure. On an interference motor, a failure can lead to an expensive valve job.

A CT 928er just came out with a improved water pump design. It is designed to move the load of the timing belt onto a different bearing, and also will prevent the timing belt from failing if the water pump bearing fails. No pricing last I knew, but definitely a great idea for an interference motor.

More
11 May 2010 00:47 #278 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Timing Belt Repair Cost
Rufus Cook,

It is always a good idea to give at least the basic details of your vehicle. 928's were built between 1978 and '95. A lot of changes took place with the production of these cars over the coarse of its 18 model years. Not only is the year of the car important to know, but so is the place of original ownership (Euro spec, Japan, North America). I say this only to ensure that the advice you receive is completely relevant and specific to your car/situation. This is especially crucial to the subject of timing belt service...

It is the consensus of many in the 928 community that all but the latest Euro 16V cars were non-interference engines. This basically means that if your car has a 16V engine, and it isn't a higher compression Euro, that no damage will be made to your cylinder heads if there was a timing belt failure. All 32V cars are interference engines. This simply means that the pistons and valves will almost always collide if there is a TB failure. Some owners of Euro cars with the 4.7L 32V motor have reported that no valves were damages during TB failure and others said that their cars did, in fact, damage valves. Assuming your car is a US model, it's this simple. Post-'85 model ~ interference. Pre-'85 ~ non-interference. If your car is an '85 or later, I would recommend a change interval of 45K miles or 5 years. I would also advise you to at least change the water pump at every other service if you want to save a coin. Tension should be checked after 1500 to 2K miles of driving, and then at every 15K miles.

My only other recommendation is that you learn to do this work yourself. In my opinion, it is the only way. Don't pay someone else to learn how to work on your car. If you follow the Work Shop Manuals and/or Greg Nichols tip page for reference, then you can do 90% of the work that this car would ever need if you have some basic tools and only a few more special ones in your possession. For instance, the Jay Kempf tension tool needed to do the TB service.

More
29 Jun 2010 15:40 #410 by turbohugh
Replied by turbohugh on topic Timing Belt Repair Cost
If you are good with hand tools, have a safe place to work (with concrete floors and can leave the car undisturbed for a few days) I would seriously say consider doing this yourself.

It took me 20 hours (and Im very slow). My car is an 86; I think the most difficult part was removing the harmonic balancer because its a wiggle off deal (no tool fits mine its too large).

I also recommend giving Roger at 928sRus.com a call. Not only did he have all the parts I needed, but he was also very kind and was available for my many telephone calls as I worked through the process.

He also has a step-by-step guide for doing this job, that I used as a suppliment to the PDF workshop manuals, and I felt confident this was something I could do after reviewing the procedure.

Lastly, I recommend replacing the stock Tensioner with a porkentensioner. It made the job much easier, and after looking at my stock tensioner (which basically fell apart in my hands) I would say this seemed like a definate upgrade to me.

Best of luck to you. U can pm me if you want more details.

More
24 Jul 2010 10:08 #490 by rluvsporsche

I too live in Chi-Town. All or most of the shops around town are not familiar we our beloved 928. So I've learn to do most of my maintenance since I can not find a shop. I know some major Porsche shop around town but not satisfied with there knowledge. The folks in this forum are better mechanics when it comes to 928. PM me if you need more info.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!