Causes of oil in air filter housing

• EWM
  • EWM's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 Jul 2011 15:56 #5608 by EWM
I found a several tea spoons amount of oil inside the air filter housing.

Also with the twin air intake tubes removed, some oil smoke comes out of the air filter housing on the first start after several days of not being started. The oil smoke quits coming out of the air intake tube openings after maybe 25 seconds. Never see the smoke with the tubes in place but can smell burned oil for the first minute or so. No visible oil smoke comes out of the tail pipe at any time.

Does anybody know of comon cause(s) for this condition. The car has 48,000 miles and seemed to have enjoyed a sheltered childhood.

Thanks for ideas. I need more to fix and its hard to justify improvments on stuff that works.

ewm
79 MY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2011 23:25 #5612 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Causes of oil in air filter housing
Brad might have much more insight on this, but my first thought is to identify where the oil is coming from. Is it leaking above the heads into the intake area and getting pulled into the intake via a vacuum leak? I don't know if your engine is just refreshed and clean, or untouched for an unknown period of time. 928s do commonly have oil leaks that get into the valley between the heads, so perhaps this is making it into the intake and you are seeing it out of the air filter housing.

So, I would start by cleaning the area, if not already clean to determine if there is any leak. If none, then how oil gets to the air filter from inside the motor would be the next question I would ask.

928s, and perhaps more particularly the early models, would froth oil in the pan a bit and it would get piped up to the intake to be burned with the fuel mixture. If you are thrashing your 928 hard or you are running too much oil this could be a possibility as well. So review the oil fill and see if there is a hose to the intake from that area. If there is perhaps check to see if oil has been passing through it. There are many options, some cheap and ways to get by, and others more expensive, once you know.

I hope this helps a bit.

More
16 Jul 2011 00:03 #5614 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Causes of oil in air filter housing

• EWM
  • EWM's Avatar Topic Author
More
16 Jul 2011 23:15 #5625 by EWM
Replied by EWM on topic Causes of oil in air filter housing
Thanks for the suggestions and for the links to threads.

Not sure how serious this problem is or is not.

will wait and watch.

ewm
79 5 speed

More
16 Aug 2011 16:53 #5891 by N2O-928
Replied by N2O-928 on topic Causes of oil in air filter housing
I have yet to see an intake w/o oil in it, it is from blow by and small amounst are not an issue.

MY '85 always has a small amount in both sides of the intake. It builds up over time.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!