no voltage

More
22 Aug 2011 20:52 #5960 by monte928
no voltage was created by monte928
I was starting her up and it started to crank but didn't run the first time but thats normal and when I let go fo the key I lost all my power. I've been troubleshotting but haven't found anything yet. any body have any ideas I can try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2011 21:02 #5961 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic no voltage

I was starting her up and it started to crank but didn't run the first time but thats normal and when I let go fo the key I lost all my power. I've been troubleshotting but haven't found anything yet. any body have any ideas I can try.

I don't see any details, so please provide more, what year and model, auto or manual, etc. What do you mean by no power? Have you checked the battery to see whether it is charged and the connections are good?

More
22 Aug 2011 21:17 #5962 by monte928
Replied by monte928 on topic no voltage
Sorry, Its a 1978 euro manual yes I have checked the battery and it has a full charge and the connections are good, I have voltage out to the stud on the left fender

More
22 Aug 2011 21:29 #5963 by srshaw3
How about voltage to the starter from the battery? There is a direct cable from the rear for that.

You said "no power" but haven't said what that means. Do your lights work? Radio? Does your ignition key allow accessories to be turned on?

More
22 Aug 2011 21:36 #5964 by monte928
sorry again, no when I turn on the key nothing works

More
22 Aug 2011 21:55 #5965 by srshaw3
Could be your ignition switch or perhaps a relay. There are many tips at nichols.nu/cat02.htm

More
28 Aug 2011 03:46 #6019 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic no voltage

Could be your ignition switch or perhaps a relay. There are many tips at nichols.nu/cat02.htm

It will more than likely be your ignition switch. You had power. Then you turned your ignition a second time and had no power. I would remove the switch and look at the back of the lock cylinder just to make sure that it is still turning as it should. If it is, I would simply replace the switch and see if that fixes it. Worst-case scenario... You'll be out $40.

More
28 Aug 2011 10:59 #6023 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic no voltage
I think I am going to have to replace my switch this winter.
Sometimes I have to move the key before I see that the Tec-4 connects up.
Everything still seems to work though.

If I was you I would try and visually see if the wires look ok on the switch and if it feels normal when turning it. they get smoother as they where out.

More
28 Aug 2011 19:31 #6024 by monte928
thanks guys it was my ignition switch. as always if you got a problem you can't figure out post it and someone has an answer. thanks again

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!