Oil Pressure Question

More
19 Oct 2011 21:42 #6552 by dwarner928
Ihow high should my oil pressure be at road speed. Under acceleration I'm hitting 5 bars+ but at road speed around 70mph I'm at 4-4.5. Is that normal?

Also the shift points seem high...is that just the car? I'm trying to get to know her without hurting her...:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2011 00:35 #6553 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Oil Pressure Question
Doug,

I guess your car is an auto... Under full throttle there is a button under the gas peddle that will be depressed and the car should run to redline. If you are just taking it easy, normal shifts (again depending on throttle position) should be around 2500 (light throttle) to maybe 3500 or 4000 with moderate to a bit more but not FULL throttle... That is just from memory from my last drive.

The oil pressure numbers sound spot on.

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
20 Oct 2011 19:09 #6564 by WyattsRide
Replied by WyattsRide on topic Oil Pressure Question
In my 5 speed, at road speeds or load, the OP gauge is pegged. At idle it drops to about where you describe or a little lower. This is also from memory. :confused:

More
22 Oct 2011 00:44 #6572 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Oil Pressure Question
Hello Rick.
When engines start up cold you are looking around 125psi or 8 bar.
when they are hot at an idle (depending on ware) and oil (15-40/15-50 oil)
it may drop to 3 bar or a hair under.
Remember that the gauge may be out a bit one way or another.

More
31 Oct 2011 21:12 #6673 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Oil Pressure Question
Hi Rick,

Brad is on it, the thing with Porsches is that the gauges are actually supposed to be accurate and work! So if it is working normally, you will indeed see fluctuations with the pressure, at least for an Automatic as I have. The important thing is that it looks responsive and immediately goes to full bars as needed according to RPMs. When cruising, I notice that the gauge will be below full bars like Brad said, but if you add revs...it goes immediately to the top. As the engine gets hotter, it may vary a little differently, also depends on oil weight etc. as Brad said. Sounds like it is easily within range.

Check the level often just to be sure, but it is quite amazing that after 27 years, my engine hardly uses a drop of oil between yearly oil changes. Awesome cars when they are right!

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!