Fuel Stabilizer

• babromovage
  • babromovage's Avatar Topic Author
More
05 Nov 2011 16:36 #6750 by babromovage
Fuel Stabilizer was created by babromovage
The owners manual does not recommend any fuel additives. Any thoughts or recommendations for fuel stabilizer and winter storage? Also, any idea of the tank size in gallons for my 9186?

Thank You,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2011 17:01 #6751 by neilh
Replied by neilh on topic Fuel Stabilizer
23 US gals.

More
05 Nov 2011 19:11 #6754 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Fuel Stabilizer
I run mine as close to empty as possible, drain into a clean container, strain into a gas can for the mower and pressure washer.

More
05 Nov 2011 22:57 #6758 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Fuel Stabilizer

23 US gals.

That's all that is necessary for a "winter storage." Fuel doesn't go bad over the course of a season change. I don't use any fuel additives in any of my cars. Not that I'm against them. I just don't see the point of the expense. If storing for a long time or if I'm unsure when I will run a car again as I am getting into an extensive project on one, I will cut off power to the fuel pump, run the car until the rails and injectors are dry. Then I will replace the fuse/relay for the pump and drain the tank. And there aren't many tanks out there as easy to drain as the 928 thanks to its in-line fuel pump. :D

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Nov 2011 07:17 #6768 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Fuel Stabilizer
I like to drive my car whenever possible; last last drives before winter and first as spring just starts hence I add fuel stabilizer and keep the tank full.

for example I wont drive the car for a few days as its currently -10c but its supposed to warm to +10c by thurs and I want to go driving :).

More
07 Nov 2011 10:30 #6769 by 928mac

I like to drive my car whenever possible; last last drives before winter and first as spring just starts hence I add fuel stabilizer and keep the tank full.

for example I wont drive the car for a few days as its currently -10c but its supposed to warm to +10c by thurs and I want to go driving :).

And that is the way it should be done.

More
07 Nov 2011 12:34 #6774 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Fuel Stabilizer

That's all that is necessary for a "winter storage." Fuel doesn't go bad over the course of a season change. I don't use any fuel additives in any of my cars. Not that I'm against them. I just don't see the point of the expense. If storing for a long time or if I'm unsure when I will run a car again as I am getting into an extensive project on one, I will cut off power to the fuel pump, run the car until the rails and injectors are dry. Then I will replace the fuse/relay for the pump and drain the tank. And there aren't many tanks out there as easy to drain as the 928 thanks to its in-line fuel pump. :D

Data point, with government mandated ethanol U.S. gas does go bad, and starts to be obvious as soon as 3 weeks. I had a generator go bad a few months ago, and the "fuel" didn't even smell like gas anymore....

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Nov 2011 16:07 #6780 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Fuel Stabilizer
stan.....are there other countries that have same ethanol petrol conditions?

Was in Scotland this summer.....no ethanol but $$$$$ We dont have much in Canada.....probably would freeze :D

More
07 Nov 2011 16:14 #6782 by srshaw3

stan.....are there other countries that have same ethanol petrol conditions?

Was in Scotland this summer.....no ethanol but $$$$$ We dont have much in Canada.....probably would freeze :D

I don't know, but it is quite the farce. Raises the cost of gas, lowers octane, decreases shelf life of gas (not sure there was a shelf life before this) and of course also raises the price of food, since they used a crop that could feed people.

I haven't seen any proof that it helps with its intended cause in any way. Of course Iowa is an early presidential primary state.... Am I cynical?

More
07 Nov 2011 20:03 #6787 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Fuel Stabilizer
Most gasoline in Canada is 10% ethanol. The mandated minimum is 5%. E-85 is generally not available. Here's info from one of our largest gas vendors = Petro-Canada: retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fuelsavings/143.aspx

Personally I fill the tank before storage - decreasing the volume of reactive air to gasoline. I also use the highest octane I can get since it already has more additives. If I can I wait until near winter since the additive package in winter gasoline is different in my locale to reduce the chance of freezing.

More
08 Nov 2011 07:52 #6794 by denhamfly
Replied by denhamfly on topic Fuel Stabilizer
Sometimes it gets in the 30’s here, I have had my beer freeze at that tempture, but never my gas. Gas will go bad season to season. That keeps my son in business he works on small engines, but that is only if you let it evaporate and you let the light hydrocarbons out, so keep you gas cap on and your tank full.

• babromovage
More
08 Nov 2011 08:09 #6795 by babromovage
Replied by babromovage on topic Fuel Stabilizer
Wow. Varying opinions. Not sure what I should do. I would like to add a few points that may offer recommendation. The car will be stored in a temperature controlled car storage facility.

Brian

More
08 Nov 2011 10:09 #6796 by 928mac

Wow. Varying opinions. Not sure what I should do. I would like to add a few points that may offer recommendation. The car will be stored in a temperature controlled car storage facility.

Brian

Brian, it is up to you. IT dose not hurt to leave gas in it.
It is better to have a full tank then a 1/4 tank.
I just drain mine because it is in my home on a heated floor and because I normally will be doing some kind of work on it.

I would not recommend putting in an additive unless you can be sure that it will not react with the plastic tank and other components in the fuel system.

This is my humble opinion.
Brad

More
08 Nov 2011 10:31 #6798 by srshaw3
I have used Stabi in a variety of applications for many years: www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx

More
08 Nov 2011 10:36 #6800 by 928mac

I have used Stabi in a variety of applications for many years: www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx

Wow! that is really good information Stan.

We really need to save these information links in one area

More
08 Nov 2011 10:38 #6801 by srshaw3

Wow! that is really good information Stan.

We really need to save these information links in one area

We could create a catch all of valuable links in a single topic on the technical library that you would maintain.... Does that work?

More
08 Nov 2011 11:53 #6802 by 928mac

We could create a catch all of valuable links in a single topic on the technical library that you would maintain.... Does that work?

sounds good.

show me what you have in mind

More
08 Nov 2011 13:50 #6803 by srshaw3

sounds good.

show me what you have in mind

Go to: forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=16
Enter for "Title:"
$Links to External 928 Areas of Interest"
(the "$" should keep it at the top of the sorted forum)

Enter for "Message:"
An alphabetized list to sites of interest to 928 owners.

By doing the above, you will own the topic. I will then edit it, to show you my ideas on the content structure.

An alternative we could have a separate forum, with one topic per website, sorted by a structured topic ID, but that might be overkill right now, and there are quite a few forums already.

More
08 Nov 2011 14:11 #6804 by 928mac
Stan which code do I use as the "add Link" dose not alow me to name the link. web site name ???

More
08 Nov 2011 14:22 #6806 by srshaw3

Stan which code do I use as the "add Link" dose not alow me to name the link. web site name ???

Sometimes it works differently in various browsers. In IE8, I highlighted the text and click on the link icon (globe with chain link). I get a pop up where I paste the link (that I previously copied).

I did it for that one.

More
08 Nov 2011 14:54 #6808 by 928mac
I went to the RL site and tried the link so that I could copy and paste it in to remind me how the code is layed out.

there link gives the option to write in your link title
ILL erase it in a few days when I have it burned into my brain. :)

• babromovage
More
09 Nov 2011 11:22 #6831 by babromovage
Replied by babromovage on topic Fuel Stabilizer
Thanks to all of you advice. My choice has been decided. No stabilizer and see how it work.

Brian

More
30 Nov 2011 12:41 #7213 by huskador
Replied by huskador on topic Fuel Stabilizer
I thought I'd chime in on this since I am the brand manager for Gumout who makes fuel additives including a fuel stabilizer, and I use these products in all of my vehicles including my '91 S4.
For any extended period of time when the car does not get driven or at least idled, I would highly recommend a fuel stabilizer to keep varnish and deposits from forming in the tank and fuel system. Also especially since 80% of all gasoline sold has some percentage of ethanol in it, I would also recommend using a stabilizer/cleaner.
Depending on the temperature and humidity, ethanol can start separating from gasoline as fast as 2 weeks, but generally by 4 weeks. This is called phase separation. Ethanol then goes to the bottom of your fuel tank and then the fun begins. Ethanol is a highly effective solvent and any existing deposits or varnishes on the tank may dislodge and the next time you start the car, they get sent through the fuel system where they can cause peformance issues especially for fuel injectors. Also, water is attracted to ethanol so any water that accumulates in the tank through condensation or other means will also go to the bottom of the tank and could cause rust issues.
There is no fuel additive on the market currently that can stop phase separation (don't believe the label if they claim this), but there are some that can help mitigate the issues caused by phase separation. Gumout has a fuel stabilizer/cleaner product that stabilizes the fuel, fights the damaging effects of ethanol and cleans up the fuel system in one tank full - you can typically find it at ACE hardware. Stabil has a good product as well but the detergent isn't as powerful and takes several fill ups to clean up the same deposits, but they have a much wider product distribution. You want a detergent when you fire the car back up to clean up any existing deposits that were in the system prior to storage and to clean up any deposits that the ethanol may have dislodged. Either way you go, Gumout or Stabil, you will get a quality product. However, I would stay away from any Lucas or SeaFoam product. We've reverse engineered many of their products and the formulas can't back up most of their claims. Never, ever, use a product that you can pour into your crankcase as well as your fuel tank (marvel mystery oil, SeaFoam, etc.) - you are just asking for trouble.
Regarding the use of fuel additives in general, it all depends on your thoughts on preventive maintenance, your driving habits and most importantly the type of gasoline that you use. I would be glad to answer questions on fuel additives, what are the differences between products, usage, etc. if there is interest and if I can't answer them I will have our R&D manager provide feedback.

More
30 Nov 2011 20:36 #7216 by srshaw3

I thought I'd chime in on this since I am the brand manager for Gumout /QUOTE]

Do you have specific Gumout products you recommend for cleaning out the fuel system? My GT is getting poor gas mileage and I would like to know the fuel system is not the issue.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!