Porken Q Ring Install

• babromovage
  • babromovage's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 Nov 2011 18:58 #6889 by babromovage
Porken Q Ring Install was created by babromovage
Chipped the car with no problem and great improvements. However, I would like to install the Porken TQ Rings but not sure how to remove the plenums. Does anyone have this process documented.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2011 19:28 #6890 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Porken Q Ring Install
Hmm you got me there buddy is there no infor on their web site?

More
11 Nov 2011 19:35 #6891 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Porken Q Ring Install
I see TQ rings listed on the site, but no documentation. I suggest you ask Ken, I have the PK32Vr and it is well documented.

More
16 Nov 2011 20:30 #6962 by Glennd
Replied by Glennd on topic Porken Q Ring Install
Brian,

Drop me a line. One of my 928's is a 86.5 and I have had my airboxes off so many times, I am sure I could help you.

I am also running Ken's chips (version prior to the rings). So if you need help installing the chips, let me know that too.

Cheers
Glenn

• babromovage
More
17 Nov 2011 05:25 #6966 by babromovage
Replied by babromovage on topic Porken Q Ring Install
Thanks Glenn....Have the chips installed and the car is running great. Trying to maximize the benefit with the Q ring. Where are you located? Also, I out the car in winter storage this past sunday and will pull it out April. Any help or insight into the process would be appreciated.

More
17 Nov 2011 12:02 #6967 by 928mac

Thanks Glenn....Have the chips installed and the car is running great. Trying to maximize the benefit with the Q ring. Where are you located? Also, I out the car in winter storage this past sunday and will pull it out April. Any help or insight into the process would be appreciated.

Did you remove the battery or leave it in?
I leave mine in because it is in my home garage and easy to start once a month. Not that I need to.
I just like to make sure that the oil gallerys stay full.
which reminds me, I need to order a filter and change the oil.

Brad

More
17 Nov 2011 13:42 #6968 by 928mac
here is the info Ken sent me on the Q rings

[There isn't a manual or anything. Removal is straightforward, loosen the hose clamps, unbolt the CO sample tubes at the rear. When installing the plenums, loosen both sets of hose clamps, push the plenum toward the intake runners, center the hoses, tighten the clamps while continuing to push.]

Cheers,
Ken

this link is some more info

s300s.com/

I hope this helps

Brad

• babromovage
More
17 Nov 2011 17:51 #6972 by babromovage
I left it in and removed the negative strap.

• babromovage
More
17 Nov 2011 17:52 #6973 by babromovage
Thanks Brad. Maybe I will document the process in the spring.

Brian

More
20 Nov 2011 11:02 #7013 by Glennd
Replied by Glennd on topic Porken Q Ring Install
As Brad stated, removing the air boxes is very simple.

On the passenger side air box (left hand drive), there is a bolt that holds the sample tube. Remove this bolt. Then you can loosen the hose clamps on each of the runners on the air box. You will have 5 - 2 at the back, then the centre T-tube, then two at the front. Once these are loosen, the passenger side will pull out. You may have some small amount of oil in the bottom of the air box.

The driver's side is not as straight forward as there is a vacuum hose at the bottom front. When I remove my air box, I loosen all the hose clamps on this hose arrangement (you have a y adapter here - one hose to the air box, then a venturi within the plastic tube, and then two outlets - one straight and one at approx 30 degree angle). Careful pulling apart this hose collection as to not damage the venturi arrangement.

Once these hoses (at the front of the drivers side air box) are removed, undo the hose clamps on the runners - again, two at the back, the T-tube, and two at the front. A slight effort pulling the air box out sideways and you will be holding the second air box. Again, you may find some oil in the air box. Suggest cleaning out the oil (I just use a rag and let it soak up the oil).

Careful putting the airboxes back in as if you over-tighten the hose clamps on the rubbers, you can damage them (cut into the rubber). You really do not want any leaks on these as it is after the MAF and it will affect your mixture (run lean as more air than measured by the MAF).

Hope this helps.

Storing the car for winter ... what I do:
1) fresh oil and new filter
2) fuel stabilizer
3) run the car to ensure the fuel stabilizer gets into the fuel system throughout the car. Also make sure the engine gets up to temperature to remove any condensation that may appear.
4) park the car and remove the ground strap at the battery.
5) connect a C-Tec 3300 battery maintainer to the battery. According to the literature, you can leave the C-Tec connected all winter - I just power it up for about 48 hours once per month (as there is no load on the battery so it is just internal drain). Given the age/condition of your battery, adjust as required. I have found the C-Tec unit the best of the different brands I have tried.
6) If you can, take the wait off the tires. If not, some folks have parked on small pieces of carpet to help avoid flat spots.
7) leave till the spring ... I know some folks start-up the car during the winter months and let it run for 5 minutes or so. I will not do this as I do not want to create condensation in the engine internals or exhaust.

As spring gets closer, I am sure there will be some great discussions on the best way to bring a car out of hibernation :)

Cheers
Glenn

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!