18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.

• lrpman
  • lrpman's Avatar Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2011 22:23 #7161 by lrpman
18 mo ABOUT chasing this one. was created by lrpman
at 1,500 rpm to 1,750 rpm and shudder like a cylinder is out. 1,800 and UP perfect. Hard on the throttle and the shudder is back.
I have replaced:
Injection
Plugs
Wires
Coil
Air flow
Checked
All bolts
Joints
Mounts
Now what?
This is the 1984
Still have the 1982 no REAL buyers. Had a $2,500.00 offer on the car but he could not get the money from his wife.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2011 07:05 #7162 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.
What do you mean by "injection'?
Were the fuel injectors replaced or tuned?

More
28 Nov 2011 23:02 #7173 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.
This sounds like an intake air leak to me.

There are a lot of places that the leaks can happen, from the intake throttle body gaskets to the vacuum lines. Check them all and ensure your timing is correct. There are also two vacuum lines going to your timing distributor that can have an effect on running conditions.

• lrpman
More
02 Dec 2011 22:35 #7259 by lrpman
Replied by lrpman on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.
More info
All injection parts are NEW BOSCH or PORSCHE parts not take offs from parts cars.
Can I use the Either trick to SNIFF out an intake leak on theses cars or will they go BOOM!
Those who do not understand you get starting fluid (Either) and start the car let it idle then spray a VERY LITTLE around the gaskets and such if the engine RACES then that is your leak.
Thanks guys will play with this one Saturday 12/3/2011 and ALSO talk to another GEE I WANT A PORSCHE BUT person on the Blue car.

More
04 Dec 2011 18:05 #7270 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.

More info
All injection parts are NEW BOSCH or PORSCHE parts not take offs from parts cars.
Can I use the Either trick to SNIFF out an intake leak on theses cars or will they go BOOM!
Those who do not understand you get starting fluid (Either) and start the car let it idle then spray a VERY LITTLE around the gaskets and such if the engine RACES then that is your leak.
Thanks guys will play with this one Saturday 12/3/2011 and ALSO talk to another GEE I WANT A PORSCHE BUT person on the Blue car.

Some may disagree but I don't find chasing vac leaks with starting fluid to be a problem. Chasing vac leaks is different than using starting fluid to start a car in order to diagnose a fuel problem. I haven't ever seen any adverse effects either short or long term from using starting fluid to find vac leaks.

• lrpman
More
04 Dec 2011 23:27 #7278 by lrpman

Some may disagree but I don't find chasing vac leaks with starting fluid to be a problem. Chasing vac leaks is different than using starting fluid to start a car in order to diagnose a fuel problem. I haven't ever seen any adverse effects either short or long term from using starting fluid to find vac leaks.

It did not BLOW UP or even get excited when I sprayed the JOINTS. I checked ALL the lines, wires, cap etc.
BUT I might have found the problem MAYBE, COULD BE, NOT SURE that should cover it.
I found the coil I had put on the car was a spare race coil from an old V8 I had, ACELL brand. (old was shorted for sure)
I am wondering if the fact the the shakes goes away at HIGH RPM and the range is 1200 to 1500 could it be the coil???

More
29 Jan 2012 22:21 #7976 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.

It did not BLOW UP or even get excited when I sprayed the JOINTS. I checked ALL the lines, wires, cap etc.
BUT I might have found the problem MAYBE, COULD BE, NOT SURE that should cover it.
I found the coil I had put on the car was a spare race coil from an old V8 I had, ACELL brand. (old was shorted for sure)
I am wondering if the fact the the shakes goes away at HIGH RPM and the range is 1200 to 1500 could it be the coil???

Bumping this to see if you found any problems or fix.

• lrpman
More
29 Jan 2012 22:30 #7977 by lrpman

Bumping this to see if you found any problems or fix.

Thanks Brad still playing with it.
It is NOT:
1. Coil
2. Dist Cap
3. Wires
4. Plugs
5. Rotor
Not ruled out 100%
1. Injection. BUT Only from 1500 to 1800 rpm?
2. Torque tube, This is my guess now since car was smacked in the RR enough to bend some heavy parts.
The Blue one was SMOOTH as silk at all speeds but this one is ???
PS: Blue is paid for, still in shop and still have the title. getting CLOSER

More
30 Jan 2012 07:48 #7981 by denhamfly
Replied by denhamfly on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.

It is mess,but I use WD-40 to find vacuum leaks it kills the engine when you find it and does not go boom!

More
30 Jan 2012 07:52 #7983 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.

It is mess,but I use WD-40 to find vacuum leaks it kills the engine when you find it and does not go boom!

I heard carb cleaner will work, less volatile than starting fluid and less messy than wd40.

More
30 Jan 2012 08:00 #7986 by denhamfly
Replied by denhamfly on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.

I heard carb cleaner will work, less volatile than starting fluid and less messy than wd40.

Carb cleaner works and it will get you high at the same time, I guess it is a win, win.

• lrpman
More
31 Jan 2012 23:10 #8035 by lrpman
No Vac Leaks, used starting fluid. 99% sure it will be a support for the torque tube.

More
01 Feb 2012 01:14 #8036 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.

No Vac Leaks, used starting fluid. 99% sure it will be a support for the torque tube.

Let us know when you find it so that others can be helped.

Not that any of us old farts will remember ;)

Brad

More
07 Feb 2012 06:22 #8128 by robucop
Replied by robucop on topic 18 mo ABOUT chasing this one.
just my 2 cents: it sounds a lot like my car when the TB skipped a couple of teeth on the passenger side cam.
Did you check the TB tension and position?

• lrpman
More
06 Apr 2012 09:08 #8793 by lrpman
UPDATE
Been a long time but the problem was NOT in the engine at all. When the car was hit it MOVED the whole suspension over to the left and had to realign everything to get it square. Still have the shudder but not as bad. So I had a friend of mine drive the car when I was home in Florida, you might have heard of him Brian Redmen, well it took him about 2 min to tell me it is the torque tube.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!