Tell me what you see (underbody and engine)

• Johnny V
  • Johnny V's Avatar Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2011 14:26 #7164 by Johnny V
I started this thread over on Rennlist, but I'd like you fellas to take a look as well please! I'd like for you gurus to give me feedback on what you see in these pictures. It's an 84 US 928S auto w/104k miles.

The pictures are labeled with a number or letter, so if you notice something, please reference the picture since I am still learning alot about this car. I have alot of mechanical experience with other cars, but this is my first porsche :)

Since there are ALOT of pictures, I'm just linking to my photobucket album. Thanks for any feedback!

s78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/jvelandi...he%20928S/Underbody/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2011 19:57 #7166 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Tell me what you see (underbody and engine)
I watched the thread over on RL Johnny. It is actually fascinating to see what people can diagnose from those pics. It almost makes you wish for a regular service like this from experts for us DYI learner people.

I agree with some of the sentiments - fix the safety issues first, then performance, and finally things like leaks - unless they are safety related or severe. You'll find as you go thru your car that a scary number of things are actually broken. In some ways this is a tribute to 928s - they soldier on despite breakages for 20-30 years in most cases.

You'll get more input on RL as there are many more participants. But some people will run out of patience sooner. Personally I post my progress to my car profile here in a detail I would never share on RL. If people aren't interested they won't read, but on this Owners Club site you aren't likely be hassled about it - at least that's my experience so far. Meanwhile I enjoy having a record of what I've done - which I would otherwise quickly forget.

• Johnny V
More
28 Nov 2011 21:03 #7169 by Johnny V
Replied by Johnny V on topic Tell me what you see (underbody and engine)
Very good observations, Martin! I've noticed a stark difference in the forums, but alas, I'll take any help I can get. Thank you for your advice, I will take it very seriously :)

More
28 Nov 2011 22:12 #7171 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Tell me what you see (underbody and engine)
Hey Johnny, I finally get to see the pics now that I am home.

I will second what martin said about Rennlist as some of the guys over there will share their bad day.

From your pictures I would say that you need to check some things before you drive it any more.

If that rear diff runs out of oil you will cook it and it will cost you more then the car is worth.
I can also see that the trans torque seal is leaking, not good because its another big job.

Tell you what, park it for 6 months and go hog wild on it and it will be in great shape for summer.
We can talk you into(opps I mean Through) 1 job at a time.
Then it is only down for that job.

Can you afford to spend a G on it?

Brad

• Johnny V
More
29 Nov 2011 09:43 #7176 by Johnny V
Brad, your plan coincides with mine perfectly :) She has her own spot in my driveway and I have my very reliable police interceptor that I use daily. I don't drive the 928, as I want her to be healthy by summer. I had budgeted more than a G for her, so so far so good ;)

More
29 Nov 2011 10:42 #7178 by 928mac

Brad, your plan coincides with mine perfectly :) She has her own spot in my driveway and I have my very reliable police interceptor that I use daily. I don't drive the 928, as I want her to be healthy by summer. I had budgeted more than a G for her, so so far so good ;)

Johnny, Have you driven it to get a feel if anything feels wrong?

• Johnny V
More
29 Nov 2011 10:52 #7179 by Johnny V
Yea, I've driven her. Fires right up everytime, engine feels stout. Only thing I noticed was when it's cold, the trans seems to not make up its mind on which gear to stay in when accelerating. Once it warms up, that goes away..

More
29 Nov 2011 11:07 #7182 by 928mac

Yea, I've driven her. Fires right up everytime, engine feels stout. Only thing I noticed was when it's cold, the trans seems to not make up its mind on which gear to stay in when accelerating. Once it warms up, that goes away..

It sounds like the fluid is low which will damage the trans (burn the clutches) if this happens then it is not a do-it-yourself job $$$$
That was my worry with the leak locations I saw.

I am sorry to say that you will have to see if there is oil leaking at the trans converter. This will be a big job, and also the diff looks like it is leaking from the seam so it will need to be resealed.

Look in the Road side thread and see if there is anyone in your area that may be able to help with a trans/diff reseal and torque convertor bushing and seal replacement. You might as well install a new trans filter at the same time.
I am going to start on my trans this winter, replace the filter and take a look in the diff. oil, filter bushing and seal ~ maybe $200 is a guess.
All can be bought from Roger.

Oh, take pics of what you find and let us look. It beats having to go back over something.
Brad

• Johnny V
More
29 Nov 2011 11:52 #7185 by Johnny V
Balls... well, I knew it wouldn't be easy, lol. Anything I do will be photographed and posted for observations!

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!