Steering column issues

More
02 Dec 2011 01:33 #7245 by 19psi
Steering column issues was created by 19psi
Had a problem with my signals not self cancelling all the time. Pulled the steering wheel and found the tab broke off the horn ring.

Installed the new horn ring and noticed the tab would hit against the tube/bearing not allowing the steering wheel to fully seat (I assume it fits up against the circlip).

Did some reading and I find that the upper bearing is a common failure...wiggle the wheel and sure enough there is slop. I pulled the combo switch, bearing support ring which was badly worn at the bottom and then knocked out the bearing. It appears a plastic retainer fell apart due to age and the balls disappeared down the column.

I ordered the bearing and support ring which is simple enough.

Now my question is what happened to my clearance for the horn ring tab? It looks as if the shaft needs to come up a ½"? :confused:

Once I get the parts installed will the bearing support ring butt against the bearing and hold the shaft back enough once the circlip is installed?

Also will I need to find the missing ball bearings or did they go somewhere harmless?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2011 06:54 #7249 by the flying scotsman
Might be easier to unbolt the strg shaft from under the car and push it back into position.

More
02 Dec 2011 10:03 #7251 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Steering column issues
It would be nice to remove the steering shaft from the tube and run an oild rag down it a few times to clean it out. (I mean since it is apart)
This will also slow down any rust that may be happening. Totally up to what you think.

BTW good catch on the warn bearing.
This is just one of the little things you will find that cost a little, but requires more repair hours then what you would like to pay for.

After you do the job, the joy is in knowing you did it and it is done right.

Brad

More
07 Dec 2011 21:26 #7312 by 19psi
Replied by 19psi on topic Steering column issues
Ok, got my parts today and everything is sorted out.

I found some posts advising to put the nut on the shaft and pull back with vise grips while trying to reinstall the c-clip. When that doesn't work call a strong friend to stop by and pull.

I found it easier to take the old collar and trim off a small amount of the tapered end and then make another cut forming a large notch. Takes all of 10 seconds with a pair of tin snips.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Next just slide it down so the flanged end butts up with the new collar, put the nut on and tighten a few turns until everything lines up and then pop the c-clip on through the notched out area.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
07 Dec 2011 21:33 #7313 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Steering column issues
COOL! Well done!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!