Bad 1st and second gear sincros or gears

More
22 Mar 2012 19:20 #8557 by CARLO
Hi Kids,

My 1983 928 that I bought on E-Bay, not running etc. Has terrible up shifting from first to second when cold( double clutch when warm ). Downshifts to first & second are a Phil Hill/Sterling Moss/Dan Gurney special shift, I actually get it right sometimes, when warm. Is it easier to rebuild the tranny, buy a used one. I have rebuilt several trannys, TR6, MGTF....based on the digital manual I have this rebuild looks tough. Any suggestions ? Does anyone have a 5 speed laying around as a door stop that they want to get rid of cause the cat keeps pissing on it ???

Carlo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2012 19:50 #8558 by srshaw3
I had mine rebuilt by 928 Int'l, and was very happy with the result. If you go for a good used one, you will probably want to at least review the synchros, as they are a weak point. Depending on your current rear differential gear ratio, and your tolerance for changing that, you could consider upgrading to a BW synchro'd transmission, I would suspect 928srus.com or 928intl.com could help you acquire used parts as well.

I would suggest first you consider whether a differential ratio change is in your future, and then deciding on which used vs. which rebuilt option is best for you.

If I were doing a transmission, I would look into doing the torque tube bearings at the same time, with great consideration given to Constantine's offering.

More
22 Mar 2012 21:49 #8560 by dfish
i just had mine done at california motorsports, lake havasu az. i would be surprised if most of the rebuilt porsche transmissions aren't really done at cms.
great bunch of very knowledgeable folks.

More
22 Mar 2012 21:55 #8561 by dfish
now that i have taken the time to read all of stans response i must say that of all the mega bucks i have spent chasing that old fashioned hot rod feeling, the differential ratio change was a very satisfying bang for the buck. previously when i needed to be frightened i would fire up the 930, now i flip a coin.

More
23 Mar 2012 17:07 #8573 by CARLO
Thanks for the info. I would have never thought of the ratio change.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!