928 porsche CONVERTIBLE parts car or rebuild

More
18 May 2012 09:33 #9209 by beverley bryant
1979. Engine good when last started. Sitting 5 years. Wheels good. Transmission good. 168,000. Needs paint, some body work, interior, top. Located in Boynton Beach, FL (1/2 hour south of Palm Beach). Don't have URL to enter photo. Please contact for photos at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2012 14:34 #9212 by pcar928fan
That car will be quite expensive to repair, but I can't imagine parting out a 928 convertible. So few were built in the first place and there won't hardly be anything on it worth parting... That said, I can't imagine trying to bring it back to life either... I will have a 928 'Vert someday, but I hope it will be the red hammertime widebody!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
18 May 2012 14:48 #9214 by srshaw3
I agree James. I am glad it is so far away, otherwise my buying impulse might kick in. :D

The cost of restoring it will still be less then the cost of converting one and any one you might consider converting, probably would need some restoration as well! :eek:

More
18 May 2012 16:15 #9218 by xstepson
Do we know how much she is asking for the car?

More
18 May 2012 16:59 #9219 by srshaw3
I do not.
I believe she would love to here that someone will restore it.
I suggest that there won't be many that will be ready to take that on, so perhaps a high bidder will get it....

More
18 May 2012 19:02 #9222 by beverley bryant
Hi Guys,

Thanks Stan for posting the photos!

You're right. I'd love to have someone rebuild it rather than part out. It's just such a damn shame what happened to it. It was so special and I got comments all the time.

I would like some offers. Definitely would take some bucks to restore to its original glory but it really shouldn't be junked. The frame was reinforced when it was converted and the engine, drive train, exhaust, transmission are all good as far as I know. The interior is in about the same shape as the exterior.

I'll find a photo of it in its heyday.

Beverley

More
18 May 2012 21:17 #9225 by pcar928fan
The perfect answer for this car is a wrecked car with good interior for cheap money and switch the interiors over... If the wreck were in the right places you might could use the front bumper cover from the wreck on this car. The red paints come back surprisingly well even when you don't think they can make it.

Five years sitting is frankly not all that much! BLU82 sat MUCH longer than that and is a GREAT runner now, so if in fact the drive train were solid when parked the car might not be a total fiasco to restore for the right person.

Stan you are quite correct that a conversion would indeed cost more than restoring this car.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
19 May 2012 07:21 #9234 by beverley bryant
So, if a rebuild is less expensive than a conversion, does someone want to make an offer??
What's the range for a conversion?

More
19 May 2012 09:16 #9235 by beverley bryant
Guess I'll look for a wrecked '79 928. Best idea.

More
19 May 2012 13:30 #9239 by srshaw3

Guess I'll look for a wrecked '79 928. Best idea.

You don't *need* a '79, as essentially any 928 interior will work. The mechanical components change throughout the years, but best to leave those intact if they are functional. The body really needs to be redone, and it is probably less expensive to fix what you have, then buy another car and swap parts, since it would still need to be painted. Of course you aren't going to find a top for yours, it will have to be custom made.

In labor and parts, I would suspect your car is $10k away from being a nice car, and whether it is worth $10k at that point is questionable.

My bet is that the buyer you find will not be looking at the dollar cost, but rather at the uniqueness of having a 928 cab.

More
19 May 2012 13:37 #9240 by pcar928fan
No telling what a conversion would cost... You could come up with a decent interior from 928 International for probably reasonable money and that would be easier than trying to find a parts car that still has a good interior that you would then have to strip out and then be left with a parts car hulk sitting around.

Just getting the interior good and the top done will not be cheap, but it is doable. All (and I mean ALLLLL!) fluids MUST BE CHANGED and then if the car is running right a good detailer and $500 will probably get your paint looking decent...or at least presentable.

The car as it sits is probably not worth $2500...and that is assuming the engine and drive train are actually good. The top replacement is probably going to cost $3000 if it cost a penny (because it is going to have to be custom hand stitched...though at least you already have the old top as a pattern!) and the new interior switch out will likely cost $2500 for a very good used interior (and that should be nearly every part of the interior).

I would say if the car was looking very, very nice and running properly it might be worth $13k to the right person...maybe! Probably more like $10k and you can see just my guesstimate puts the out of pocket at $10k and that is if nothing else is wrong with the car. If it were a EURO S or a widebody conversion it would be worth more. '79's are not all that special really.

I hope to see this car back on the road and brought back to its glory days! They are to rare to junk!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
19 May 2012 14:37 #9247 by beverley bryant
I'd be happy with $2000 as is. No way I can have it refurbished. Then there's shipping so I'm entertaining offers. It was a dream and should never have been so neglected. It would be wonderful to have someone take it and love it as it is completely unusual.

I had a '55 Caddy convertible back in the '70's that I had to sell for peanuts. I think it's worth in the $200,000's now. Oh, well. At least I have good taste in cars!

More
19 May 2012 17:28 #9253 by pcar928fan
Beverly I hate it when this happens to cars... You do have good taste!

I hope someone down there in FL will come take a look and maybe take it home with them. If I had room I'd take it off your hands...but alas I have a 6 car garage and I have 10 Porsche 928's, a '97 T-bird, '05 Jetta Wagon (wife drive it daily) and a '12 Accord... Oh and a 33' '96 Pace Arrow motor home! UGH! I must be out of my mind!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
20 May 2012 07:48 #9260 by beverley bryant
Good God, you collect cars like I collect(ed) horses. Let me know when and if you ever decide to downsize!!

Actually, I'm glad to hear of someone who keeps a lot of vehicles. I have a '99 white Caddy Deville (last of the slab sides, really good-looking)I love and drive every day, but I kept my first identical one as they tend to overheat and I need backup!! Everyone thinks I'm nuts. I also have a 1988 English Horsecoach, 35' long, front is camper (quite elegant), rear carries four horses. Everyone thinks I'm nuts to keep it, but I'm in South Florida (hurricane central) and need a getaway vehicle for me and my horses if a really bad one is coming. Runs great, gives me security, even if it's 23 years old (!).

More
20 May 2012 08:13 #9261 by beverley bryant
Also have a 1961 Bentley S2 (garaged). Really beautiful. Maroon over gun-metal gray. Original. Good interior. Paint not bad. Needs a brake master cylinder. If anyone's interested. Know any Bentley buffs out there?? Have lots of pics.

More
20 May 2012 13:41 #9262 by pcar928fan
Someday I will add a new-ish Bentley to the collection. I don't know any Flying "B" guys, but I'll keep my ears and eyes open for you.

If I had the garage space and were closer I'd at least take a look at the 928 and see if there is anything I could do with it. I hope someone here will take it under their wing and bring it back to life! The convertible conversions are just so rare and unusual...I always loved convertibles too...

Good luck and I understand your sickness all to well! :)

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
22 May 2012 08:51 #9273 by beverley bryant
Thanks! I wish you were closer, too.
Put it on Ebay for $2000 and have a couple bites, nearby.
But thanks all for giving me the information I need to sell it properly!

More
22 May 2012 09:43 #9274 by srshaw3
Interesting as with a quick ebay search I don't find it.
You should post the link to it here as well.

More
22 May 2012 16:48 #9276 by beverley bryant
Thanks Stan,

Here's the Ebay link: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/928-CONVERTIBLE-...4b86a10#ht_500wt_988

Have someone coming to look tomorrow.

Cheers,

Beverley

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!