'84 928 S for sale**Misc. Parts**Manuals More...

• Mshark84
  • Mshark84's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 Sep 2012 19:51 #11328 by Mshark84

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mshark84
More
19 Sep 2012 19:56 #11329 by Mshark84
My Apologies for the delay in photo attachments. I am still trying to post. Following instructions under FAQ. Would be happy to e mail upon request. Thank you so much for your patience.

More
19 Sep 2012 22:08 #11331 by Kiln_Red
Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea why it stopped running to begin with? Looks like a car with a lot potential unless there was any catastrophic engine damage.

More
20 Sep 2012 00:20 #11336 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic '84 928 S for sale**Misc. Parts**Manuals More...
It's and '84 US model (at least the body is) and thus a 4.7L and so even a broken T-belt is just a retime and replace and drive on deal... broken cam would suck, but still wouldn't require a rebuild, just a replacement.

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
20 Sep 2012 00:48 #11338 by Kiln_Red

It's and '84 US model (at least the body is) and thus a 4.7L and so even a broken T-belt is just a retime and replace and drive on deal... broken cam would suck, but still wouldn't require a rebuild, just a replacement.

True. I would at least want to rule out a bottom end failure before paying the listed price though. :eek:

More
20 Sep 2012 09:21 #11341 by denhamfly
Replied by denhamfly on topic '84 928 S for sale**Misc. Parts**Manuals More...
Does anyone know if a 1985 5.0 engine would drop in that car without much trouble. I am rebuilding mine and his car looks in better shape.

More
20 Sep 2012 09:25 #11342 by srshaw3

Does anyone know if a 1985 5.0 engine would drop in that car without much trouble. I am rebuilding mine and his car looks in better shape.

My bet would be "no", as my recollection is the intake and electronics from an '85 are different, less important, but the motor went from 4.7 to 5.0 if I recall correctly.

If you were to attempt the swap, you would likely want to retain the 1984 electronics and intake. When I did this with my Euro S, I kept the heads as well, just using the 5.0L shortblock, which is nearly a direct bolt in, but off hand I think is you tried to use the '84 heads off a non-Euro the breathing would be restricted over the capacity of the 5.0L 1985 bottom end.

• Mshark84
More
20 Sep 2012 12:22 #11345 by Mshark84
Sorry for the delay. Sadly, it blew a head gasket. :(

• Mshark84
More
20 Sep 2012 12:23 #11346 by Mshark84

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea why it stopped running to begin with? Looks like a car with a lot potential unless there was any catastrophic engine damage.

Sadly, a head gasket blew.

More
20 Sep 2012 21:38 #11358 by Kiln_Red

I'm not sure if your wiring harness, fuel rails, etc. are 100% the same as that of a '83-'86 Euro, but if so, the most practical thing to do would be to get Euro heads & an intake to complete your motor. Then, you could use your wiring and LH brain to complete the swap, I think. Not 100% sure. May still need injectors.

More
20 Sep 2012 21:45 #11360 by Kiln_Red

Sadly, a head gasket blew.

Have you pulled the heads to verify this or was this your finding after a leakdown or compression check? It's unfortunate that so many early L-jet 928s fall victim to this condition. They are arguably the most dependable, easiest to service model of any 928. I think all if these reports of HG leakage happen mostly in engines where only conventional antifreeze has been used. All 928 engines should have phosphate free coolant. Conventional coolant is corrosive to our alusil engines.

More
21 Sep 2012 08:21 #11370 by emmanuelli
Replied by emmanuelli on topic '84 928 S for sale**Misc. Parts**Manuals More...
i'd be interested in some interior nicknacks.

• Mshark84
More
22 Sep 2012 10:45 #11405 by Mshark84

Have you pulled the heads to verify this or was this your finding after a leakdown or compression check? It's unfortunate that so many early L-jet 928s fall victim to this condition. They are arguably the most dependable, easiest to service model of any 928. I think all if these reports of HG leakage happen mostly in engines where only conventional antifreeze has been used. All 928 engines should have phosphate free coolant. Conventional coolant is corrosive to our alusil engines.

No, the heads were not pulled. But thank you very much for the additional information.

• Mshark84
More
22 Sep 2012 10:47 #11406 by Mshark84

i'd be interested in some interior nicknacks.

I will make sure to let you know if I part the car out. Right now, i would REALLY just like to hand ALL of the parts and car over to one person. But thank you very much for inquiring!

More
23 Sep 2012 19:10 #11410 by Feather
So, what is the price and where are the pictures of the engine compartment and the interior? And where is the car? Thanks.

Jerry Feather

• Mshark84
More
26 Sep 2012 12:15 #11446 by Mshark84

So, what is the price and where are the pictures of the engine compartment and the interior? And where is the car? Thanks.

Jerry Feather

Hello Jerry.

The original thread should have $3,500.00/obo. Let me know if i need to adjust so folks can see that. ;-)

I can only post so many pic's and their sizes are large. There is one pic of the interior, but i am happy to e mail you more if you would like to message me you e mail. The car is located in Downers Grove, IL.

Your very welcome!

• Mshark84
More
26 Sep 2012 12:28 #11447 by Mshark84
Can anyone offer help on how to attach or insert more photo's in or on my posting? I have read all the FAQ's and, btw, I operate on a Mac. I was only able to post the original few photos because they had an HTTP:// address to post. I would like to get the pic's off my hard drive uploaded.

THank you in advance!

More
26 Sep 2012 12:43 #11449 by Kiln_Red

Can anyone offer help on how to attach or insert more photo's in or on my posting? I have read all the FAQ's and, btw, I operate on a Mac. I was only able to post the original few photos because they had an HTTP:// address to post. I would like to get the pic's off my hard drive uploaded.

THank you in advance!

Absolutely. Create a Photobucket account. They will host your photos for free and then you can simply copy the IMG code from their site to here. As soon as you submit the post, you and everyone will see your photo(s) attached. :)

• Mshark84
More
26 Sep 2012 14:31 #11455 by Mshark84
Thank you very much!! I really appreciate it

• Mshark84
More
26 Sep 2012 18:00 #11457 by Mshark84

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
27 Sep 2012 11:14 #11485 by emmanuelli
Replied by emmanuelli on topic '84 928 S for sale**Misc. Parts**Manuals More...
nice, with the rear cover. looks so clean inside too. i'd buy that rear cover if no one wants to buy the whole car, im interested in some interior parts.

More
27 Sep 2012 22:09 #11493 by xstepson
Nice looking car. Why not just buy a '83S or '84S engine (They are the same engine) and drop it in?
'85 won't work. US'85 engine is a 5.0L and uses LH injector system and '84 Euro, although 4.7L, uses LH injector system as well.
Chances are that coolant wasn't changed often enough to keep acidic levels of used coolant from "eating" the head gasket. To replace head gaskets in the existing engine would certainly involve machining the heads and a minimum of $1000.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!