928 GTS2 Porsche 928 (some assembly required)

• srshaw3
  • srshaw3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Oct 2012 16:56 #11874 by srshaw3
A good friend has highlighted to me how long my race car has been on jack stands, and how much time it will take to put it back on the track. Clearly my motivation has been lacking, so possibly the right person exists who would understand the value and want to embrace this as a project.

In short it started life as a 1980 928 S and was migrated to a GT class racer for PCA club racing. I raced it with a 300hp "hyrbid" 5L motor before deciding to build a 6.5L stroker motor. I acquired many parts, but then life interjected, a daughters wedding, a busy business, a home addition, grandchildren, etc. I still find myself lacking the motivation to put the car together, partially due to having another car for the track.

This car will never be a street car again, please discontinue consideration if you have that thought in mind.

A very short summary of it's current status:
Stripped interior, with Kirkey road race seats
roll cage
fuel cell
custom mounted koni DA shocks with 1000# front and 500# rear springs
rear S4 calipers
front S4 calipers (missing)
(6) 18x12 Kinesis wheels
(4+) 335x30x17 Hoosier DOT "street" race tires|
custom aluminum fender flares
carbon fiber wing on custom adjustable mounts
custom aluminum front splitter
Fuel Sage fuel cell with surge tank (new bladder in box)
lexan side windows (uninstalled)
lightweight battery
lightweight starter
1990+ GT transmission (uninstalled)
no clutch
no installed or assembled motor
stock flywheel and motec prepared flywheel
MoTec M48 setup for 928
(2) 5L blocks bored to 104mm, one lapped to match 8 used 968 pistons (now HPC coated), the second block unlapped but there is a second set of 8 944S2 pistons with it
1 set of Oliver Rods to work with 968 pistons
Scat "stroker" crank
grooved main bearings
rebuilt 928 S4 heads with new 968 intake valves and springs
reground 928 S4 cams with custom race grind
throttle body injection intake with air box parts
tri-y headers, jet hot coated.
clevite rod bearings
custom dry sump oil pan

The motor, clutch and transmission when last raced have been sold, but much of the specifications at the following link are still valid: 928racing.net/StanShawRacecar.htm

The pile of stroker parts and 928 GT transmission would cost anyone @$25k+. The chassis with roll cage, race seats, fuel cell, custom suspension, custom flares, rear adjustable wing and wheels might be duplicated for @$15k

The assembler will need to pre-assemble the motor, then have the rotating assembly balanced, then assemble the motor, then install the intake and fabricate the linkage, then install the MoTec and build the harness, then purchase/develop a clutch and of course source front brakes (S4s would bolt on). Probably a long task list of details beyond that.

This car is suitable for the avid hobbiest looking for a big project to get on the race track with a 928 stroker motor race car, or someone with plenty of money to spend.

I could use a 4wd 35+hp tractor with a loader and brush hog. I might consider taking an E36 M3 in trade, or perhaps a side by side quad. I have a street 1990 928 GT, so do not have interest in another 928.

This might at least be worth of a conversation starter :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2012 04:00 #11877 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic 928 GTS2 Porsche 928 (some assembly required)
Does this now mean that you're keeping the GT?

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Oct 2012 04:57 #11879 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic 928 GTS2 Porsche 928 (some assembly required)

Does this now mean that you're keeping the GT?

Any motorized possession of mine is effectively for sale, whether there is a buyer willing to pay what it would take for me to sell is the real question. So far that is not the case with my 928s.

More
17 Oct 2012 06:26 #11880 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic 928 GTS2 Porsche 928 (some assembly required)
I suppose that there is a price that would buy any vehicle of mine as well. Like you, I know how it is to have time constraints that limit my time spent on projects. It's tough, in the car business, to justify time spent working on a vehicle of mine when there is a paying job here too.

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Oct 2012 06:31 #11881 by srshaw3

I suppose that there is a price that would buy any vehicle of mine as well. Like you, I know how it is to have time constraints that limit my time spent on projects. It's tough, in the car business, to justify time spent working on a vehicle of mine when there is a paying job here too.

Similarly I have the paying work competing with time I could spend on my car projects, as I work out of my house, and sit just above my cars, so they and the work are always close.

I have continued to evolve my M3 as a track car, so there is less motivation to put the 928 race car back together, and I just bought a "normal" car so there is less need to keep the M3 as street-able as it has been.

I have no complaints, almost everything competing for my time is good :)

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Jan 2013 13:16 #13328 by srshaw3
spring is *just* two months away........

More
28 Jan 2013 22:03 #13353 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic 928 GTS2 Porsche 928 (some assembly required)
Felt like spring here today... Nearly 80 degrees out! WOW!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!