Wtb - 928

• rlich8
  • rlich8's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Dec 2012 17:12 #12831 by rlich8
Wtb - 928 was created by rlich8
Hi All,

I am searching for a 928, and I am in Chicago. What I want is fairly specific, but I'm trying to drop notes in a few places, and you never know with some luck, maybe I'll find it!

I'd like an early model (80-86.5), silver, black interior, 5 speed. Not looking for a "project" car per se, however, being that I'm looking to purchase a 928, I am certainly not project averse. No total restos, but any mechanical work is fine.

Let me know what you've got! Thank You!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2012 20:12 #12832 by Adamant1971
Replied by Adamant1971 on topic Wtb - 928

Hi All,

I am searching for a 928, and I am in Chicago. What I want is fairly specific, but I'm trying to drop notes in a few places, and you never know with some luck, maybe I'll find it!

I'd like an early model (80-86.5), silver, black interior, 5 speed. Not looking for a "project" car per se, however, being that I'm looking to purchase a 928, I am certainly not project averse. No total restos, but any mechanical work is fine.

Let me know what you've got! Thank You!

Ted in Guelph is selling his boosted 85. Black on black auto. It's a rocket ship and well maintained. He's asking 9k. It's on kijiji and on rennlst in the Canadian forum.

Trying to get a 5 spd is hard enough but also being colour specific will be like looking for the holly grail.

Also I would not look at 5spd older than 85. The early 5 spd's were ancient gear boxes.

Good luck

1987 S4 5 spd, LSD, Sport Seats

Daily Driver: 2008 SAAB 9-5 Aero CombiSport

More
09 Dec 2012 21:19 #12833 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Wtb - 928

Also I would not look at 5spd older than 85. The early 5 spd's were ancient gear boxes.

Good luck

Pre '87 5 speed cars can be more troublesome than later cars. The trouble is usually more related to the twin disk clutch setup & intermediate plate rather than gearbox issues. Hydraulics are a pain to service on any MY 5 speed 928. The phrase "blue hose" is infamous with those that have serviced 928 clutch hydraulics.

The synchros are weaker in earlier cars.

More
09 Dec 2012 21:46 #12837 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Wtb - 928

The trouble is usually more related to the twin disk clutch setup & intermediate plate rather than gearbox issues.

I like the twin disc setup so much, I retrofitted it into my '90 GT :)

More
09 Dec 2012 22:57 #12838 by Kiln_Red

I like the twin disc setup so much, I retrofitted it into my '90 GT :)

There is no denying that there are advantages of having the twin disc. Yes, the twin disc is stronger. The twin disc clutches can be problematic though. I guess its a matter of personal preference. In my opinion, single disc > twin disc. :D

• rlich8
More
10 Dec 2012 09:01 #12840 by rlich8
Replied by rlich8 on topic Wtb - 928
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the notes - I've been trying to learn the idiosyncrasies of these cars over the past few months. Needed to sell an MG to make some space, but in the mean time I've been researching and talking to guys and looking at cars.

I appreciate the notes about other years being better than the other. I really like the early cars and if it takes me a year to find what I want, that's fine with me. This decision is purely aesthetic, I am just more a fan of the early rear bumpers. The later cars with improved mechanicals are clearly the better way to go, but I must admit that this is somewhat of an emotional purchase. My father owned a 928 when I was a kid - it was a family car when I was very young. I'm now at a level of mechanical understanding and car knowledge where I think I can own one. This decision has not come upon me without good thought.

Also, I really do not like automatics and have only owned one out of eight cars. I am just a fan of shifting myself - with a clutch pedal. A little old-guard in that aspect, I suppose, but you all know the reasoning so I'll spare it. :)

Also, I'm not averse to ancient gearboxes - I've owned a bunch of old English cars, two of them with crash boxes (non synchro first gears) and tricky synchros (even when rebuilt!) so a gearbox that requires patience is not out of my preference. :) I also do not plan on modifying the car at all and do not overly abuse my cars. I'm a slow and steady cruising sort of guy.

I'm in no rush and I'd rather get what I want then settle - if I can't find it that's absolutely fine...it's not a car I need.

Thanks for the notes, guys, I appreciate it. I look forward to hopefully becoming a member of the very loyal and friendly 928 community around the country (and world!).

Royal

More
10 Dec 2012 15:39 #12841 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Wtb - 928
Royal,

Keep your eyes peeled and keep updating us here regularly so we can keep looking for you as well. You never know when just the right car will appear out of nowhere. That said, you will probably need to expand your search to include pretty much ALL of the US if you want to find JUST THE RIGHT ONE! It is really easy to get one or our members here to go check it out for you as well as put it on a trailer and ship it to your door step.

I think only my first 928 was bought semi-locally by me. All the other 9 were from out of state and I had others check them out for me and I then just had the majority of them shipped to me.

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
10 Dec 2012 22:48 #12848 by Adamant1971
1980, silver, 5spd - Ottawa

ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-t...e-W0QQAdIdZ404310525

Asking too much IMO I'm sure it will be for sale for ever.

And another in Sarnia. 79, light blue, 5 spd

ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classi...e-W0QQAdIdZ435359817

:)

• rlich8
More
11 Dec 2012 09:09 #12852 by rlich8
Thanks guys!

I definitely am up for traveling. With resources like you guys here, RennList, and dare I say it...but local Porsche clubs, I am sure I can find someone to check out a car for a modest some of money/favor in return. I trust the 928 community implicitly, it's a tight knit group that has been extremely welcoming of me without even owning a car. Go figure. :)

I think I may've seen that silver 80. Not bad on the km/mi, but not for $9500. Also not an S. Womp :(

Anyways, thanks and yes - as of today - I'm still looking for a car!

More
11 Dec 2012 09:40 #12853 by Adamant1971

I think I may've seen that silver 80. Not bad on the km/mi, but not for $9500. Also not an s!

I do believe the S did not come in to production until 1982.

• rlich8
More
11 Dec 2012 09:43 #12854 by rlich8
In Europe, it was introduced in 1980, but yes, you are right, I don't think the S came to the States or Canada until 82 or 83. I am sure someone knows better than me specifically, but that's what I know. :)

More
11 Dec 2012 10:29 #12855 by Kiln_Red

In Europe, it was introduced in 1980, but yes, you are right, I don't think the S came to the States or Canada until 82 or 83. I am sure someone knows better than me specifically, but that's what I know. :)

'80 for the Euro market. '83 for the US market.

More
11 Dec 2012 12:03 #12861 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Wtb - 928
I love my 83, the simpler engine/mechanicals seem to have been a plus in the 2 years I have had it. But they do have a little less power (83 and below) and it would be hard to find a good manual. Quite a high percentage of automatics were sold vs manuals. Mine is an Auto, But as a lifelong manual driver, I can easily say I have enjoyed this trans the most. It can also be shifted and has a good, quick response. But I know, if you want a manual you want a manual... :) Good Luck

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

• rlich8
More
11 Dec 2012 13:29 #12862 by rlich8

But I know, if you want a manual you want a manual... :) Good Luck

Exactly. It's not like I need this car. I want this car. :)

Also, on the power thing - not a big deal. I'm not buying this car because I want to be the fastest guy on a road - I'd just buy a Shelby Mustang if I wanted to do that---you know what I mean.

I'm buying it because I like it a lot...the styling, the price, the era, uniqueness, build quality, etc etc

More
11 Dec 2012 17:29 #12865 by pcar928fan
^^^^^^^
ALL the right reasons to buy a 928! To be fastest will NEVER be the right reason. Though you might be in some circles and with a strong GTS you will likely be the fast car most of the time (of course that depends who you tend to hang with I suppose, so YMMV) but buying because you love them and think they are COOL will always be the right answer!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
11 Dec 2012 17:51 #12866 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Wtb - 928
With all the Canadians on this board you may be forced to buy in Canada ;)

Personally I like this car (ex-US): niagara.en.craigslist.ca/ctd/3358330515.html - in fact I half considered adding it to my collection...

• rlich8
More
12 Dec 2012 09:24 #12871 by rlich8

^^^^^^^
ALL the right reasons to buy a 928! To be fastest will NEVER be the right reason. Though you might be in some circles and with a strong GTS you will likely be the fast car most of the time (of course that depends who you tend to hang with I suppose, so YMMV) but buying because you love them and think they are COOL will always be the right answer!

Hey, if I wanted to be the fastest guy on the block, I'd just go out and buy a Honda CBR or something. But, I'm not a bike guy...I just don't trust myself. I like to align myself with vehicles of where I am purchasing a philosophy or train of thought---particularly new or revolutionary ones at that. (I also own an "E" Jag...so that should describe it all right there)

I find the senior citizen speeds of sub 100 mph to be slow enough to watch the leaves yellow in the fall yet fast enough to miss paint drying. :)

Also, I'd love to take a trip to Canada to buy a car. Lovely country that I've never seen before. Who knows, maybe it'll even be in Vancouver and I make a ten day trip out of it driving home. That would be blissful. :D

More
12 Dec 2012 21:52 #12874 by Kiln_Red
I see a healthy trend emerging with new and prospective owners who are educating themselves of these cars before making a purchase, or before assuming their car as a daily driver without doing necessary maintenance. I hope this will be a lasting trend.

• rlich8
More
13 Dec 2012 14:33 #12876 by rlich8
I'm a man of research in general - I think my experience with my Jag will benefit me here in the 928 realm of things. Prior proper planning prevents poor performance.

More
13 Dec 2012 23:04 #12879 by xstepson
Replied by xstepson on topic Wtb - 928

I see a healthy trend emerging with new and prospective owners who are educating themselves of these cars before making a purchase, or before assuming their car as a daily driver without doing necessary maintenance. I hope this will be a lasting trend.

There goes the neighborhood. :) JK

I really do hope it is a lasting trend as I believe that it will create a new wave of ownership that overall will take better care of their cars, have realistic expectations of those cars, be happier with the cars they own, and lastly, drive prices upwards to realistic levels as befits an older supercar.

More
13 Dec 2012 23:18 #12880 by xstepson
Replied by xstepson on topic Wtb - 928
rlich8,
You have already gotten some good info here already, but to reiterate:

If you want a 5 speed, buy '85 or newer. They ARE superior gearboxes.

If you want a non-interference engine, buy a 16 valve car, which, if want a 5 speed, limits you to an '85 or '86 Euro. (310 hp from the factory and includes LH EFI)

If you want the older body style, and don't mind an interference engine, buy an '86.5 ('86VIN # >1000), which is 32 valve, has the older type body style, yet has S4 type brakes etc.

Buy the best condition 928 you can afford and be prepared to spend money on it so it can be driven regularly. These cars do not like to sit for extended periods of time.

Have a PPI done by a reputable 928 mechanic.

Remember that there are a lot of people out there who love these cars, and those people will help ANYONE else that loves these cars.

• rlich8
More
14 Dec 2012 12:04 #12883 by rlich8
Thanks, Stepson! :)

More
14 Dec 2012 15:05 #12886 by pcar928fan
Very funny about the driving speeds! I like that! LOL! I had a CBR 600 and man to I miss that bike! There was almost nothing faster back in '88 (had it up till late '90) on the street that that thing! 0-60 in 3.5 top speed around 150 60-0 in 109 feet! AMAZING!!! Of course it couldn't even hold a candle to today bikes!

I YEARN for an E-type like I can't even tell you! I need an auto trans, so I want a V12 convertible, something like a '72...with some upgrades to make it more reliable (hahahahahaha, I used to own a Triumph Spitfire so I can laugh!) and prettier as well. I think the purity of the Series 1 and 1.5 can't be beat, so anything to move it more towards looking like those would be great. I'm willing to pay anything up to $25 for one as well! LOL! Ok, ok, I am joking, if I could find a really decent E-type V12 auto convertible (NOT the late 2+2 which was not pretty...sorry) for under $35k I'd be TOTALLY interested. I think that is probably unrealistic for a car in the condition I expect my cars to be in though...

Good luck on your 928 search! You are in the right place!

Hey, if I wanted to be the fastest guy on the block, I'd just go out and buy a Honda CBR or something. But, I'm not a bike guy...I just don't trust myself. I like to align myself with vehicles of where I am purchasing a philosophy or train of thought---particularly new or revolutionary ones at that. (I also own an "E" Jag...so that should describe it all right there)

I find the senior citizen speeds of sub 100 mph to be slow enough to watch the leaves yellow in the fall yet fast enough to miss paint drying. :)

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• rlich8
More
15 Dec 2012 10:34 #12891 by rlich8
Honestly - your number of $35000 is not too far off for an auto V12. They are dead reliable so long as you don't let it overheat (flush coolant and upgrade radiator fans), and recurve your distributor and put in the SNG Barratt electronic ignition and relocate the amplifier (it normally sits on the top of the engine toward the front - gets too hot), and you're good to go. That V12 is one of the most bulletproof maintenance free V12's you can find in a vintage car.

I've never been stranded in my "E" - never overheats or anything even in hot day's traffic.

Thanks for the nice words everyone!!!

More
17 Dec 2012 20:02 #12922 by pcar928fan
$35k for a convertible auto??? Really??? If so I may have to reconsider my next non 928 auto purchase... Might be time to go British again instead of Italian (at a much higher price I might add!)

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• rlich8
More
18 Dec 2012 08:28 #12934 by rlich8
I have seen them come across the market for that price. No one wants the Auto V12's. I'll be hanging around here...so I'll forward you anything that I see. :)

More
18 Dec 2012 18:43 #12952 by pcar928fan
COOL!!! I'll enjoy looking at all the ads and to keep abreast of what is up in the E-type market. Love to get one of these some day...such beautiful cars!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
21 Dec 2012 08:17 #12976 by BMax
Replied by BMax on topic Wtb - 928
Hi there,

I have an '85 5-spd that my wife has been wanting me to sell. The car is awesome, and I haven't posted ads for it as of yet. However, I would love the car to go to someone who would truly enjoy it.

Color is not what you specified...White exterior, burgundy interior. Car is in great shape, only 54,000 original miles. New timing belt and accessory belts, water pump, per recommended 50k miles. I am able to drive the care only rarely, as I have two little kids and I am not about to force car seats in the back. It needs to be driven more, and I just can't find the time.

I'd be happy to discuss more details with you, and I can send some pics if you are interested.

Hope to hear from you.

• rlich8
More
21 Dec 2012 10:15 #12987 by rlich8
BMax ---- thank you for so graciously responding, however, I have to pass based on color. Someone is really going to love that car. Sounds like one to buy and hold onto. Thanks again!!!

More
22 Dec 2012 12:16 #12994 by BMax
No problem. I wish you the best on your further pursuit. Hopefully you will find that perfect match!

Happy Holiday!

More
26 Jan 2013 10:33 #13316 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Wtb - 928
BMax, if your car is still available, does it have a sunroof? I'm looking for one without a sunroof. I'm in Houston, TX if anyone else knows of one. Thanks.

More
26 Jan 2013 16:18 #13320 by Jon B.
Replied by Jon B. on topic Wtb - 928
Rex - If you look below this thread in this forum you'll find my car which has no sunroof.

More
26 Jan 2013 20:20 #13321 by pcar928fan
Rex, Jon's car was brought back to life by Mr. Merlin (Stan) and while it is not perfect it is a hell of a car! For sure worth the look!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
27 Jan 2013 12:54 #13324 by BMax
Sorry, it does have a sunroof.

I will be posting it later today, so I should have some pics. Best of luck with your search!

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!