Thinking about selling my mint OB

More
05 May 2014 15:53 #17169 by Sweet928
Hi All,

I'm thinking of selling my beloved '79 Petrol Blue 928 with Cork full leather. 5 speed. 98k miles. Some great but tasteful mods. No sunroof, no rub stripes, manual seats. Timing belt and clutch just done 10 months ago. No oil leaks, no stories. Seriously a 9 inside and out. Could be a show car if I didn't actually drive her! Very very very clean car that is a beast of a machine with the mods done by the PO.

'79 5 speed, Petrol Blue, Full Cork leather,Headers, Borla, 930 wheel, Bilsteins, Ibach springs, Momo short shifter, GTS mirrors, Aluminum radiator, S4 calipers, drilled rotors, 17" Kinesis BW Motorsport 3.6, Dunlop Drizza's, H4's, Nak MBV1, All records back to the window sticker!

79porsche928.shutterfly.com/

What do you think she's worth to someone who loves 928's as much as we here do? Please don't tell me about $7,500 928's. I'd never sell her for such a price. This is a rare color, option, condition car with records that needs NOTHING. AC blows cold. I've got a few people who've PM'd me over the years asking to be contacted when / If I ever sell her. I'm just trying to set a price in my mind. Hagerty shows a value of 12,300 but that doesn't include many thousands of dollars of mods. I know mods don't convert to 100% of their cost but I'd like to think 50% of cost is reasonable. No?

This car will likely NOT be advertised. I'll just contact those interested parties and see what happens. I'm not desperate and not in a rush. This is NOT a fire sale. Just had her for five years and thinking it might be time to let her go to a new loving owner....At the same time - I might not be able to really let her go when it comes down to it - but an idea on price is where I need to start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2014 15:38 #17177 by Sweet928
No feedback?

More
12 May 2014 20:18 #17202 by GlennS
I'm glad to hear that you aren't giving the car away like so many others. We need more people like you who will help the value of these cars elevate to more deserving levels. My 928 is billed as a 1980, after purchase I found it was actually an 81. My car is stock, no real mods like yours; but even as stock it is still a beast and a thrill to drive. I did put a Borla exhaust on it.

Overall my car is in really good shape inside and out. I need to do some work on the sound system. More to the point, I would not let my machine go for less than 20k, Frankly I don't think I would consider less than 25k now that's just my opinion and I don't care about insurance or blue book values. My 928 is my only Porsche, I ask myself if I were sell my 928 what could I replace it with that gives me so much pleasure? When I think about it in those terms 25k begins to seem far too low a price. Again, just my opinion.

Glenn Simpson

More
19 May 2014 22:05 #17217 by linderpat
I would put your car in the twenties. Keep it, properly store it, and in a few years, double that. Everything must work at these prices, however. Fortunately, the early cars have fewer things that break.
I think this is where early cars are heading. Only question is when.

More
20 May 2014 14:54 #17218 by Sweet928
She's sold. Maybe too cheap. I thought a did OK. Not gonna look back. It sold for a little above Hagerty category 2 at my full asking price without any advertising. I just emailed the last guy who asked me to sell her to him - if I ever had a weak moment.

With 98k miles I don't think I could ever have gotten 20k and with continued driving and breaking 100k on the ODO - I told myself it's better to sell now than later. It will suck (for me) If after four 928's and all these decades - these timeless super cars finally go for what they are REALLY worth!

More
21 May 2014 21:59 #17222 by linderpat
congrats. Someone got a great car. Yours was one of my favorites. Stunning color combination inside and out. Hope it is someone active on the boards that bought it.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!