I am looking to BUY a 928 S4, 1988-1991, less than 70K miles. Is there a forum for this?

More
28 Nov 2014 20:33 #17783 by PorscheBob
I am guessing somewhere on the site there is a forum for members to help other members locate the car they are looking for. Could someone direct me or, failing that, maybe point me in a direction to any lesser known Porsche/928 car sites on the internet? Ebay (waste of time), Carsforsale, and sites like that are mostly loaded with high mileage junk or Chevy dealers trying to unload junk. PCA site is good but has only a very few 928s at any given time. Is there a serious site out there somewhere where the owners list S4s at S4 prices, not GTS prices and are serious about selling them? Thanks...

PorscheBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2014 02:29 - 29 Nov 2014 02:34 #17784 by jmwise
Welcome, PorscheBob. I've been active in the online 928 community for 16 years now and I know of no specific forum for members to help other members who are looking for a car. The closest to what you seek would be the 928 OC General Discussion Forum on this site or perhaps the 928 Forum on Rennlist.com. Both have members who frequently post cars they find for sale, although the forums aren't specifically devoted to this task.

As far as online classifieds, AutoTrader.com is one of the most active. That's where I found my GT back in 2006. You could also do a global Craigslist search.

The only dealer to my knowledge who makes a market in the 928 is Michael Willhoit of Willhoit Enterprises www.willhoitenterprises.com/ He usually has several in his inventory and is known for excellent condition, low mileage examples that are priced accordingly. Your post makes it sound as if you've already been to his site and dismissed him. I can assure you he's quite serious and he moves the inventory at those lofty prices.

Years ago, Brian Buxton of buxtonmotorsports.com frequently carried 928's (he personally owned one for several years), but I haven't seen him carry much in recent years. Ditto for a private re-seller named Todd Johnson, aka LowMiler. He flipped cream of the crop S4s, GTs and GTSs, but has not been active in recent years.

In my opinion - when it comes to a S4, I'd budget $25-30K. You can buy a well maintained needs-nothing car for that, or a $15K car that will take another $10-15K to bring it up to needs-nothing status, particularly if you're paying someone to do the work. If you can do timing belts, water pumps, motor mounts, oil pan gaskets, transmission mounts, intake refreshes, torque tube bearings, coilovers, etc. yourself, you can save quite a bit.

Again, welcome, and good luck with your search.

Jarrod Wise
90GT
928 Owners Club President
928 Registry Chair
Last edit: 29 Nov 2014 02:34 by jmwise.

More
29 Nov 2014 08:23 - 29 Nov 2014 08:24 #17785 by martinss
Welcome!

Jim is of course correct. I would only add that some 928 enthusiasts can't help themselves - they always check out cars for sale. If you were to post a request detailing what you are looking for (model, year, auto/5spd, colour, mileage, etc.) , how much you are prepared to pay, your location and whether you are prepared to travel (in or out of country) and or have a car shipped, I fully expect that people will keep an eye out for you. Buying a 928 for someone else is second only to buying one for oneself, and it is much cheaper ;)
Last edit: 29 Nov 2014 08:24 by martinss.

More
29 Nov 2014 11:28 #17786 by billvvSU
You might try the Classifieds section here; there are both For Sale and WTB postings.

More
04 Dec 2014 23:51 #17791 by PorscheBob
I was lucky enough to chance upon a collector's car he was selling to make room for new toys. All the major work is done and it's been in the possession of that second owner since 1991. Car was Ok'd in PPI by mechanic who kept asking what I paid for it...which nice Porsche people don't discuss (mainly so the cars don't get bought out from underneath them by PPI mechanics).

NOW, I need to know some of the best places to shop for 'ready to bolt on' after market 17" wheels for a 1987 928 S4. I can find a lot of places to buy the original 16" slotted wheels (which this car already has) but I would like to put on a set more like the 17" '93- '95 GTS cup wheels. Do those 17" wheels bolt directly on the standard hubs from a 1987 S4 that came equipped with 16" slotted wheels? Will I end up having to buy expensive adapters to fit slightly wider 17" wheels and tires to the S4? Any retailer out there that understands 928s and has a nice selection of upgrade wheels for S4s?

More
05 Dec 2014 09:29 - 06 Dec 2014 07:08 #17792 by martinss
Congratulations on your acquisition - I'm sure everyone is waiting for pictures when it arrives.

There are certainly wheels that will fit without spacers and wheels that will need spacers, as well as ones that may fit but have bad offsets that will adversely effect handling.

There is a wheel spreadsheet available which makes the determination easier. But I have no experience as I have stayed stock on both of mine.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2014 07:08 by martinss.

More
05 Dec 2014 20:30 #17793 by jmwise
The GTS used two different Cup wheels. The 93 and early 94's had what is commonly referred to as Cup I. The late 94's and all 95's had the 993 Cup wheel, commonly referred to as the Cup II. With both you will be looking for 928 fitments, which are 17x7.5 ET65mm front and 17x9 ET55 rear. They will fit your S4 just fine. Click here for more:

928registry.928oc.org/928-resources/perf...cosmetic/wheel-guide

Jarrod Wise
90GT
928 Owners Club President
928 Registry Chair

More
22 Dec 2014 12:46 #17847 by 928mac
Congrats a your find Bob.
As martin said, we look forward to seeing pictures.
Start your own page in the my 928 area where everyone has posted about their car.
Again congrats and many happy years driving

More
22 Dec 2014 14:23 - 22 Dec 2014 14:24 #17849 by billvvSU

Start your own page in the my 928 area where everyone has posted about their car.

That would be the 'OC Member Car Profiles ' sub-forum.

Also, be sure to register your car in the 928 Registry
Last edit: 22 Dec 2014 14:24 by billvvSU.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!