84 928 S for sale

• pcar928fan
  • pcar928fan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • If something is worth doing it is worth OVER DOING!
More
22 Oct 2010 23:17 #1777 by pcar928fan
84 928 S for sale was created by pcar928fan
Alright,

It is time to thin the heard!

The '84 (US, auto) just had $1k in service done because it was handling very poorly and scaring the crap out of me! So, I get the car back and the A/C will freeze you out and it drives like it is on RAILS (always cracks me up when I read when someone says that so I figured I HAD to say it! LOL!)

Seriously I don't want to sell this car AT ALL, but the economy (my personal economy anyway) is not getting any better so I had best part with something and this is the only one I can even consider parting with. I was not willing to put it on the market w/o doing the big service that I just did though. Now I like the car to much to want to sell it.

It leaks NOTHING, drives GREAT, freaking freezing A/C, auto, Ruby Red paint that is SUPER NICE (but not perfect), 113k miles. The bad (none of it to bad I might add!) black and Can-Can interior that needs to have the front seats recovered (but neither front seat is cracked through, so an industrious owner might be able to make them quite presentable with some time and effort), crap stereo (I have a decent Pioneer CD player I will send along so you can use it if you like), cruise not working and the dash had been recovered at great expense at some point and then when it started to peel they just cut it off. Does not look terrible, but certainly is not up to what I like my cars to look like. I think I saw Rob Budd makes a stitched leather "cover" for the dash that you just might be able to fit on this car w/o removing the dash...

I won't take less than $7500 (so I probably don't have to worry about selling it) but I will be listing it on CL next week and the asking price will be $8250!

Oh, tonight I was driving it and had the headlights on and a young guy in a truck with his GF pulls up slowly next to me and waves. I roll my window down and he says, "those lights are cool." So I turn them off and he FREAKS OUT! He LOVED IT!! GF giving the big thumbs up too! First time I have ever had anyone freak over the lights on a 928! LOL!

Anyway, here is a pic to stimulate you... Pulls like a freight train for a US 4.7L too...I am quite happy with the car and love the Ruby red with gold anodized wheels...

Attached files [img]media/attachments/1828=154-February2011med.jpg[/img]

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2010 09:50 #1803 by copescobra
Replied by copescobra on topic 84 928 S for sale
HI James,
New to the site but a fan of the cars.
love to inquire about it further.
You can reach my by cell at 310-739-5733 PST thanks
jeff

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 Oct 2010 15:06 #1806 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic 84 928 S for sale
Jeff,

It was great taking to you yesterday. As you noted this would be a good intro to the 928 world. Most everything is working (no cruise, power antenna broken, but I think everything else is good), needs little work if any before you could drive it across the country!

Looks GREAT on the outside (had two more hot girls comment on how pretty the car is when I was at the voting place yesterday) and it looks OK on the inside... some elbow grease and a leather redye kit and maybe the Rob Budd stitched leather dash cover (at least I think I saw one of those from Rob) would make the interior VERY NICE actually...

It is a car you can just drive and enjoy and be very proud of!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
29 Oct 2010 07:15 #1814 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic 84 928 S for sale
How about more pictures James

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Oct 2010 12:24 #1818 by pcar928fan
I'll get some more up soon!

Thanks Brad!

You know it is like a child...I don't want to get rid of it but know it could go to a home where it will see more love and road time! Car is really running strong and I have been driving it a fair bit this past week.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
29 Oct 2010 14:10 #1824 by 928mac
I know the feeling.
I drive mine more the closer it gets to having to put it away for the winter.
I hate having to warm it up at work before hitting the highway in freezing temperatures

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Oct 2010 14:50 #1825 by pcar928fan
Ugh...we probably don't have more than 12 days a year that are at or below freezing and if we get down in to the low 20's then we think we are dying here! LOL! Of course you guys don't have to see to many days above 100... we only had a handful of those last year and the first one didn't happen till August, so we got a good break. The previous year we had 45+ days above 100! YUCK.

More pics to come.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
29 Oct 2010 15:06 #1828 by 928mac
Ya I know all about the Texas heat.
I went to collage in longview for 2 years.

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Oct 2010 15:46 #1829 by pcar928fan
^^^^
Dude, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! LOL, you didn't even get anywhere near the pretty part! LOL!!!

Here are a few more pics of the '84...BTW, the front spoiler is fixed now, so in the pic it is hanging in the middle a bit, but that is not the case now, the center support has been repaired.

Attached files [img]media/attachments/1881=156-84frt.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/1881=158-AO84int.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/1881=157-AO84SnHanger.jpg[/img]

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
29 Oct 2010 22:11 #1831 by 928mac
Wow nice dash and the body looks good.

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Oct 2010 23:12 #1832 by pcar928fan
That goes to show what you can hide in a pic! The dash is not TERRIBLE but it is certainly not good. The paint is VERY, VERY nice though. The dash was originally leather but somewhere along the lines (like all the leather dashes) it peeled up...so what they did was carefully get all the leather off and make a straight cut on the lower 1/4th of the dash where the leather wraps around. I think one of Rob Budd's (at least I think I saw them from him) stitched dash covers might be something that could be glued down and tucked in and look pretty good. Seats have not cracks all the way through, but need to be redyed at the very least. The dash core does have cracks in it that depending on the thickness of whatever might be used to cover it filling those cracks might be required.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
30 Oct 2010 08:48 #1833 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic 84 928 S for sale
James,

You have a very nice example of an '84. I love the early S cars. I have an '84 myself. Very similar condition to your car. The original interior isn't in as good as shape as the one in your '84. I have a complete interior to replace my original with sometime after I have the car repainted. The paint is starting to come up in the region of the rock guard at the lower doors. I figure I may as well wait on swapping the interiors until after I get it painted since I will need to pull the rear 1/4 glasses anyway. The Ruby Red looks awesome when it's in good shape. Your car reminds me of Phil Tong's Ruby Red '84.

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
30 Oct 2010 12:49 #1841 by pcar928fan
You have Phil Tong's car! Cool...that guy is a legend. Sure wish he had hung around with us longer!

Thanks for the kind comments, the car is indeed very nice. I just have to many cars so something needs to go and I have slightly less attachment to this one than the others, but don't take that the wrong way...I LOVE THIS CAR and refuse to just give it away! It has AWESOME PAINT and is a REAL head turner! It gets comments about how good shape it is in and how beautiful it is several times every time it leaves the garage. Frankly I think it gets more comments than my silver GTS (which is actually in better shape in and out)! Go figure!

I was looking on Rob Budd's site "Classic 9 Leather" and he does have Can-Can Red seat covers in both Vinyl and leather ($830 for the vinyl) and also has a dash recover kit as well...I think (though it would not be optimal) someone so inclined could actually use that dash cover and glue it in place w/o taking the dash out of this car... That would not be the best way but it would probably look very presentable then!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
31 Oct 2010 08:12 #1846 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic 84 928 S for sale
I don't have Phil Tong's car. I was just saying that your car reminded me a lot of his.

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 Oct 2010 19:11 #1849 by pcar928fan
OH...OK...missed that! DOH! You are right...I had not even thought of that, but his car was burgundy. What was the interior? I don't remember...probably black or tan, the Can-Can is very unusual with Ruby red (and for good reason).

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Nov 2010 10:26 #1938 by pcar928fan
I think we need some more action in the classified section.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
10 Nov 2010 10:46 #1939 by 928mac
Yes not many vist 928OC.

you need to drop a link to here on other forums

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Nov 2010 11:54 #1942 by pcar928fan
I would love to push a bunch of the RL guys over here... many of them are not actually OC members though. It is a little quiet but that is no bad thing either frankly. Just does not help when selling a car so much...or a calendar! ;)

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
20 Nov 2010 11:20 #2092 by 928mac
Did you sell your car James? you know there Is a guy on Renlist looking for one eh.

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...8-to-the-stable.html

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Nov 2010 12:54 #2093 by pcar928fan
Not yet. I PM'ed him...he is looking for a 5spd car ONLY... I have PM'ed a couple of other guys too and there is a local guy interested in 928's too, but I have not heard back from him yet.

Not in a rush.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
30 Nov 2010 10:08 #2164 by WyattsRide
Replied by WyattsRide on topic 84 928 S for sale
I can't believe that you still haven't sold this car James. Your price doesn't seem bad either. Must be the economy or the fact that most 928 buyers want to buy cheap and then spend extra to fix up. I'll never understand that thought process. When I bought mine, I think I paid a little more than most would have. But, I got a great car that didn't need any deferred maintenance done once I got it and cosmetically it was in very good shape inside and out. Almost everything electrical worked too, except reverse lights and main windshield washer pump, which I fixed both. It is also a 5 speed, so I figure in at least a grand more than I would have paid if it was a auto. ;)

Did you list this at RL? Not a lot of action here you know. :(

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
30 Nov 2010 11:40 #2165 by pcar928fan
Talked about it on RL but didn't really list it there... probably ought to do that. I think I actually listed it over at RW and Pelican though... I have had a few nibbles but nothing serious.

You are quite correct, folks would rather spend $3k to $5k and then have to shovel another $5k to $7k in to the car and still end up with a car that needs paint (more than likely) vs. buying for $8k and spending not more than $1k more to have a VERY NICE car inside and out and one that will not need a lick of more money for quite some time...

OH WELL! I refuse to give it away!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Mar 2011 11:32 #4171 by pcar928fan
So here is a bit of an update on the '84. It is still up for adoption. I have redone the front seats in one of the vinyl kits from ebay and did them in black. Then I had my leather guy come out and re-dye the rear seats and center console in black too, so the interior is now ALL BLACK and other than the dash (cracks) looks spectacular!

So to recap, the paint is excellent (I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10 and if you consider the 114k miles on the car it is probably a 9+, but if you don't take miles in to account it is 8-8.5, so it is VERY, VERY NICE); the interior is now 9+ if you don't take the dash in to consideration, if you do then that will bring the number down to 7.5-8 on the inside (the carpets and seats are both VERY, VERY NICE); mechanically the car is an 8+ also. The cruise control needs to be fixed and a new power antenna installed (if you want those to both work...car works fine the way it is w/o those fully operational). Still needs an alignment and my friend who drove it last reported that the a/c belt was squeaking when he turned on the a/c, I had turned it on the day before w/o any issues and it blows cold. That said, it works at the extremes, so it is cold on full cold and hot on full hot, the middle section of the slider for the temp is useless. Stereo is junk...

So, because of all the work I have put in to this car leaving literally almost nothing for a new owner to do the new price is $9500.

I assure you there is no 928 you will buy for under $5k that you can put work in to and make as nice as this one! As much as I love EURO85 it is not as nice as this car (though more spectacular to look at with its crazy black/red wheels and guards red paint) and I have more than $9500 in it now after a purchase price of $3600. So I know from what I speak!

Here are some updated shots of AO84! BTW, tires have plenty of tread but they are old, and my mechanic says new rear brake pads are in the not to distant future.

Attached files [img]media/attachments/4310=492-IMG_2341.JPG[/img] [img]media/attachments/4310=490-IMG_2343.JPG[/img] [img]media/attachments/4310=491-IMG_2347.JPG[/img]

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
25 Mar 2011 12:58 #4172 by WyattsRide
Replied by WyattsRide on topic 84 928 S for sale
I like the all black interior better James. It seems to go much better with the exterior color than the red did.

How does the vinyl seat kits work?

Good luck with the sale. Who ever eventually buys it will get a really sweet car, that's for sure.

• pcar928fan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Mar 2011 17:02 #4175 by pcar928fan
Yea, it is a really sweet car. No leaks even...and the fluids are all topped up! Most of my other cars the concern is if they stop leaking it is because all the fluid has drained out of them! My mechanic scolded me for even THINKING of selling this car! LOL!

I got this kit off ebay and Tim (local 928 guy) installed them for me. He had put them on his car last year. Kit is like $350 and that is about what he charged me to install them. Looks WAY better than the red worn out seats looked and they are very nice to sit on too. Other than smell and a bit on the feel side, you can't tell them from the leather seat covers that cost 3X as much. The seam right under the head rest does not thrill me. They just didn't do a very good job with that, but again, SO MUCH better than it was, I can't complain AT ALL!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!