Pittsburgh Gathering 2013

More
23 Apr 2013 10:05 #14470 by linderpat
It's time once again to start planning for the annual Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix gathering. This will be our 4th get together at this event, and we have planned a more action packed day. We will again look to have it be a 928 OC sponsored event.

Background - the PVGP is the only street vintage race in the US, and only one of two in the world (Monaco being the other). It is a full week of pure car heaven, culminating in race weekend, Saturday July 20th and Sunday July 21st. This is the 30th year for the event, which raises money for charity (Autism). It includes a giant car show on the greens at the Schenley Park golf course, centrally located in Pittsburgh, PA, with over 2000 classic, sports, muscle, and exotic cars on display. The PVGP attracts hundreds of thousands of car enthusiasts and spectators to the event over the week. This year's marque car is the Ford Mustang. The web link for more information is www.pvgp.org .

As for our gathering, we will begin to meet around 9:30 am or so on Saturday July 20, on the golf course in the Porsche area. We'll have the 928 OC banner set up, and line the 928s up together like we've done in the past (unless you want to enter the concourse competition - there is a separate area for that). After hanging out for the day, socializing, watching the qualifying runs and looking at thousands of cars, we plan to have an afternoon fun run this year, leaving the lawn around 3 pm. After that, we'll have a barbeque and libations at my house afterwards, until whenever. Dean and Rick are close by, so who knows where the party will lead to We have some room at our place, and Dean informs me he does too (but I'll let him confirm that publically here) There are plenty of hotels as well, but book soon, since this is a major event and rooms fill up fast in the region.

As to the details for registration, we'll again coat-tail with the local PCA chapter (Allegheny Region). The charge (not a 928OC charge) to be on the grass is approximately $50 for Saturday (I don't have the final figure yet). That cost covers a very good catered gourmet lunch for two under a nice tent set-up, and a portion of it goes to the PVGP, which is a charity event itself. Not a bad deal! Folks can come either or both days (additional charges apply to lunch on Sunday with the ARPCA group).
The website for registration is www.arpca.com . Look for more details there soon.

As we get closer to the date, more information will be posted here. In order to know what to plan for the BBQ and afterwards, please let us know if you plan to attend. You can send a PM to me, Rick (Wyattsride) or Dean (Deantec).

Looking forward to another good turnout and fantastic get together!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2013 21:23 #14488 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Pittsburgh Gathering 2013
Wow sounds fun...I will have to start looking at the calendar!

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
24 Apr 2013 12:34 #14496 by linderpat
Replied by linderpat on topic Pittsburgh Gathering 2013
would love to see the VA crowd and Ohio crowd make it. As well as central PA and everyone else within driving distance.

More
30 Apr 2013 17:44 #14569 by pcar928fan
Be sure to send some info on this to Jerry for perhaps the next TSV issue.

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
01 May 2013 20:49 #14588 by mm928
Good idea James..!

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
08 Jun 2013 06:09 #15000 by linderpat
June Bump.

Also, go to the ARPCA site and register - it is open now. $75, which includes an excellent catered lunch for 2 (extra lunch tickets are $15 per), parking in the grass, and the other fun stuff. Note - most of the fee goes to the PVGP, which raises money for autism and the school for the deaf.

Afterwards, we have an excellent fun run planned, which will last about an hour or less, and will end up at my place for the BBQ and beverages (we'll have beer and soft drinks, and some wine; otherwise, BYOB).

The link to register thru the ARPCA is arpca.com/ . If you don't want to spend that much, you can register directly with the PVGP, but lunch will not be included. It is $30; here is that link: www.pvgp.org .

More
08 Jun 2013 20:54 #15016 by pcar928fan
There will be no TSV unfortunately as Jerry has left the reservation. Unless someone decides to start editing that or another newsletter we are out of luck. Jerry has left us high and dry...

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
09 Jun 2013 07:06 #15021 by linderpat
I'll be sure to document here then, and on the other favored sites, so that folks can see pictures and so forth.

More
09 Jun 2013 16:29 #15028 by pcar928fan
I have had another person step up to take on the roll of TSV editor... Perhaps a name change is in order to distance this new publication from the old??? I am open to suggestions, so Ed, let me PM you who to send info to so we can keep up with this and get a report after as well...this is the place to announce though for sure.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
19 Jun 2013 09:42 #15110 by Eplebnista
Ed, many thanks to you and Rick for your PVGP efforts. I will be coming up on Friday and will do Saturday at the park. I am planning to leave on Sunday early enough to catch a late afternoon tour of Fallingwater, which is one of Frank Lloyd Wright's more epic homes, on the way back to MD.

Look forward to seeing you, Rick, Blumaxx and Rick's trophy winning car, as well as other folks/cars.

More
20 Jun 2013 06:35 #15117 by linderpat
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing you too Otto, and that sweet blue shark!

More
21 Jun 2013 09:26 #15128 by linderpat
Also, for those of you who don't make it to the Schenley car show, shark owners are still invited to the fun run and/or the BBQ afterwards, and the BBQ will start around 5 pm or so on Saturday (July 20th).
We have chartered out the fun run route, and it is a good little run through the countryside.

More
21 Jun 2013 10:15 #15129 by WyattsRide
This is going to be a great time! I can't wait.

Ed, is doing a outstanding job at coordinating all this. He should get all the credit. I'm just the back seat driver......in the 928 I'm a little squished.....

We have Otto confirmed, now we just need some of the other out-of-towners to commit. Keven L, Jim D and Gary K. We hope you and yours can make it also. Ed promises not to drive too fast on the run home....Yeh, right! :rolleyes:

More
26 Jun 2013 10:56 #15169 by WyattsRide
Registered my wife and I today for the Scheneley Park July 20th show.

I hear that Ed is bringing his Mustang instead and parking in the Mustang area....Is that true Ed? :(

More
26 Jun 2013 11:11 #15170 by linderpat
Hey Rick - both cars will be there. My boys will bring the Mustang, and I'll have Blumax. Will your friend be there from Hemmings?

More
26 Jun 2013 19:48 #15178 by the flying scotsman
hope the event turns out very well for all :)

More
27 Jun 2013 12:19 #15183 by linderpat
Thanks Malcolm. And Thanks 928 OC - got the goodie box yesterday. We are all set - just need people!

More
04 Jul 2013 20:18 #15270 by linderpat
July bump - getting close now, just 2 weeks out. We have about 7 cars registered thus far. Anyone coming up from VA or over from OH?

More
04 Jul 2013 20:55 #15271 by dlbass93
Replied by dlbass93 on topic Pittsburgh Gathering 2013
If you have someone at the event who'd like to take some photos and write an article about the event for the September edition of Thrumble!, I'm sure everyone would love reading about it! Since the event is the 20th and 21st, if I had most of the information by the following weekend, I could even managing to put it in the August edition. I hope you guys have an awesome time!

2015 Red/Black Honda NC700X
2015 Brownstone Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71
2006 Black BMW F650gs
1998 Ascotgruen Metallic BMW 318i - LS Swap Project
1988 Grand Prix White Porsche 928 S4 - Almost There
1967 Marina Blue Chevrolet Camaro - Project
1957 White Chevrolet 4400 Flatbed - Project

More
12 Jul 2013 06:06 #15327 by linderpat
Coming together nicely folks! The food for the BBQ is set, the fun run course is set, and the gathering place is set. Everything is there now for a great time next Saturday. If you are coming please don't forget to register - go to www.arpca.com , and follow the link to register for the PVGP. If you would like to just attend the BBQ afterwards, no need to register, just meet at my house around 4:30 pm (pm me for the address). 1 week and 1 day away!

More
14 Jul 2013 21:06 #15337 by linderpat
to wet your whistle, Rick and I attended the begining races that opened as part of he PVGP yesterday, at Pitt Raceway, and here are some pictures. These are for the most part the bigger bore stuff that can't do the road course in Schenley Park. Lots of cool cars, including a 1 of 3 surviving Abarth (lime green; only 5 were ever made). And a racing Boss 302, among lts of other great cars. These are all driven the way they were intended, regardless of rarity. Enjoy some of the pictures. The road races are next weekend - be sure to register soon if you have not done so already.

Attached files [img]media/attachments/15706=1946-IMG_2194.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/15706=1947-IMG_2221.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/15706=1948-IMG_2274.jpg[/img]

More
19 Jul 2013 08:01 #15366 by linderpat
showtime! Fun starts later this afternoon at the Double Wide Grille on the southside. Parking for p-cars only:D

More
20 Jul 2013 20:13 #15377 by mm928
Nice pics, keep em coming!

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!