928 OC Support Rules

More
09 Jun 2013 20:26 #15031 by linderpat
As many of you know, I have been involved in past years with organinzing a nice little 928 OC supported event in July in Pittsburgh at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. When I moved to Montana, it dwindled out. Rick took over as local den mother for this area, and when I moved back to the area, he and I started things up again last year. We didn't have enough time to do all of the things we wanted to do, so it was a fairly small event, although it was heartening to see a number of the past folks show up and enjoy the day.

We are organinzing again for this year (see the separate thread here and on the other web forums), and it will be a "bigger and better" event. We'll have a fun run like we did 5 years ago, and a BBQ afterwards.

We wish to make this a 928OC sponsored event again. We will display the banner as we always have in the past.

Here's the question for the brain trust here - we also want to hand out some 928 OC freebies. In past years, we have had these little things to hand out to participants, both members and non-members alike. It is good advertising for our group. Also,there is no separate 928OC charge for participating in this event. In the past, we did not make a separate funding request for these things. Everybody who showed up got something, and they enjoyed getting these things (this is what they are for?)

Last year I believe Rick got some items and handed them out. I don't believe there was formal request process for that. We did do a formal request for t-shirt money in the past for this event (not last year tho), and I chipped in too, as a sponsor (my lawfirm) to further set off the costs. I always made a request for that through Stan, although it wasn't very formal.

This year we aren't doing PVGP t-shirts, so no funding requests will be made. We would like to have some 928OC freebies to hand out, however, to whoever shows up - member or not (so long as they have a 928). Gary has informed informed me that we need to make a formal funding request for this.

Here's the dilemma - how can we? I don't know what I would request, because I don't know what this stuff costs. I figure we'll have 10 to 15 cars, and 20 to 25 people this year. We will have the banner. Have we become formal to the point where the freebies are now part of a funding request process? What is the process? And as I posted in the sponsorship thread a few minutes ago, are those rules final yet? What version applies?

Thanks for input.

Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2013 20:22 #15059 by hb4
Replied by hb4 on topic 928 OC Support Rules
Ed,
Looking at the official Board approved Guidelines at the top of this thread , it doesn't really define 'support' except that the requirements for support follow a discussion of financial support.

The Club providing their memorabilia to an event could be thought of as publicity for the Club rather than support from the Club for the event (after all, it's not necessary for the success of the event that Club memorabilia be provided. Is it necessary for the success of the Club that Club memorabilia be provided?..... if it increases camaraderie among 928 owners then yes, since that is part of the Club's mission).

The Guidelines are silent on publicity items, so the Club can presumably follow 'past precedent', whatever that has been. Maybe a Board member can comment here.

More
11 Jun 2013 20:50 #15061 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic 928 OC Support Rules

The Guidelines are silent on publicity items, so the Club can presumably follow 'past precedent', whatever that has been. Maybe a Board member can comment here.

I developed the program of providing financial support for "enduring mementos" to events upon board approval. The dollar amount per event varied as the board objectively, and sometime subjectively, determine would be appropriate and best.

My purpose in initiating the program was to add value to the events, as the enduring mementos were distributed. The method of distribution varied a bit by organizer, but my intent was that each recipient would look at an enduring memento over time, and say "the 928 OC helped out there".

In recent years the process evolved to where the board proposed to organizers that a 928 OC banner be displayed and 928 OC applications be made available.

Most event organizers were provided funding to provide a free shirt with an event theme on the back, and the 928 OC logo on the front (in a position and format that had to be approved by the 928 OC board appointed graphic chairperson, Teri Knebel).

Some event organizers chose different items, such as hats, which would cost more than the 928 OC provided. Those event organizers would raise the money for those items as they saw fit, perhaps by a sponsor (for example my business and an organizer's business sponsored as number of our events).

I asked for and received board approval to distribute enduring mementos from our e-store to smaller events, where producing a shirt was not viable or when not desired. The cost to the club per person in all cases was considered.

I also encouraged organizers to sell the items to help fund their event; ie: for $5, etc.

So the base focus of the program was to make a 928 OC "more". The organizers were the volunteers that deserved support, as without them events don't happen.

More
11 Jun 2013 23:30 #15064 by hb4
Replied by hb4 on topic 928 OC Support Rules
Thanks, Stan. That was helpful

So past practice has been to provide publicity items from OC stores on request and at the President's discretion.

Ed, it seems all you need to do is contact James and have him send you stuff.

More
12 Jun 2013 12:39 #15070 by linderpat
Replied by linderpat on topic 928 OC Support Rules
Thanks Stan; that is how we did the Pitt event in past years. My firm co-sponsored with t-shirts and so forth. We had the banner, and handed out 928OC apps. We aren't doing the t-shirts this year (maybe next year). Gary is sending the banner.

More
14 Jun 2013 13:20 #15083 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic 928 OC Support Rules
I can get Jim to send some 928 OC gifts.. Just need the address to have him send them. Probably Valve Stem Caps and maybe some 1st Aid kits (little kit for your door pocket that is pretty cool actually!)

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
16 Jun 2013 20:02 #15096 by linderpat
Replied by linderpat on topic 928 OC Support Rules
Perfect James. PM responded to and sent with address info.
Thank you - Ed

More
22 Jun 2013 16:28 #15146 by pcar928fan
PM and email sent Ed! This should be coming to you soon!!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
22 Jun 2013 17:33 #15147 by the flying scotsman
James...........appreciate if you could advise if the guidelines are set for a period of time or whether they are under review for finalizing?

We are rapidly approaching 1 year from our event in the Calgary area......Sharks On Ice :)

More
25 Jun 2013 20:11 #15165 by pcar928fan
To my knowledge what we have now is it. There have been no recent discussions or changes that I am aware of. There could be side email conversations between other board members on the topic, but I am not aware of those. I think there was some talk of cleaning up the wording and clarifying some questions, but the crux of the sponsorship has not changed.

I would say that what you see now is what you will be seeing in 2014 and once you have established a request for the OC we will not go back and change our minds on that to a detriment to you for hosting an OCIC. I suspect if you requested something and got a "no" from the board you might could revisit before the OCIC and have the topic reconsidered, but I think what we are willing to support and sponsor is pretty clear and appropriate for a club of small financial ability like us.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
25 Jun 2013 22:31 #15167 by the flying scotsman
thx James.........I was aware of a dialogue between Mark and a fellow member who had provided what I thought were reasonable tweeks.

I shall go back to my organising team with your input for final decision.

More
29 Jun 2013 15:34 #15203 by pcar928fan
Thanks Malcolm... Sorry I could not be of any greater specific detail for you. But I think what we have is it and all that will change will be the wording and making things a little bit clearer.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
29 Jun 2013 23:40 #15217 by Marc White
Replied by Marc White on topic 928 OC Support Rules
Hi Gang. I do have a few tweaks in mind, nothing major but I would like to clear up the talk about having member dues included with participation in an OCIC. I need to present these to the Board and put this to bed. James is correct that 95% is good to go especially with support. I'm also pretty sure we'd all be in favor of continuing support as described in this thread and any reasonable request as situations present themselves.

I think James has OK'd this and will provide some goodies. Give em some good stuff James and plenty to go around. Ask to have extras returned, etc.

Give me a few days. Thanks. Cheers Malcolm!

Marc

More
30 Jun 2013 12:41 #15223 by the flying scotsman
thx Marc, appreciate having any/all changes made before our 1 year deadline to apply for official OCIC status.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!